The Tarantino Movie

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fendertx, Jul 28, 2019.

1. teledude66

teledude66 Friend of Leo's

Tarantino always has the best soundtracks.

Archtop Bill and h4ck.b0x7 like this.
  2. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Holic

Reservoir Dogs soundtrack has always been one of my favorites. I love how it's a 70's Radio Station doing a weekend hits special kind of programming.

teledude66 likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

So movie or wait? Advice for others, I'll definitely be waiting, so that I can avoid it on tv.

4. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

I am glad I saw it in the theater. I have a decent home theater, but the soundtrack really was good in the theater and some of the ambient sounds from movie. I liked how the crowded reacted to certain scenes.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

I can appreciate your comments. We had an earlier thread on Tarantino movies where I realized I didn't really like his movies all that much, and decided to just forego them in the future. I really shouldn't even be commenting on the thread, because I am going to stick to my promise to myself and just not watch any of his movies anymore, they really just aren't my cup of tea, nor is he.

6. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not a big fan of Tarantino. I like "Pulp Fiction," but hate the legion of imitators it spawned (crime films with flowery, self-conscious dialog). I don't like "Reservoir Dogs" (but I did hang out with co-star Lawrence Tierney). I say I like "Jackie Brown" alright, but not really. I wasn't impressed with "Inglorious Basterds," and I found "The Hateful Eight" so slow I couldn't get through it. Etc., etc.

In spite of all this, I was greatly looking forward to "Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood." I saw it last weekend and, although I had numerous problems with it (self-indulgent, overlong, lazily-written, doesn't take live up to promise w/1969 setting, etc.), I'm still thinking about it and I want to see it again.

Georox, fendertx and Archtop Bill like this.
  7. teledude66

teledude66 Friend of Leo's

The "ear scene" to me is iconic of Tarantino's soundtrack choices. Plus even though my statement is true, I was only thinking only of Reservoir Dogs when I posted it...lol.

h4ck.b0x7 likes this.
  8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

same here. I cannot abide anything about that guy, fictional portrayal or whatever. I was a prison guard for 8 years and it was like a visit with "charlie" every day.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Skully

You shouldn't have any problem with the Manson character in the film.

10. Telepirate86

Telepirate86 Tele-Meister

Saw this last night. I dont know what to say..it was kind of a head scratcher. Characters were mostly boring. Dialogue was flat. Dalton was a struggling actor who drank too much...okay? A few scenes were okay and the ending was entertaining but still sloppy and even predictable. But hey...I think I liked it better than Django.

11. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I really liked it- much better than I expected and I really liked the story about the bond of friendship the two men had...so glad it did not focus on sex or drugs or violence and was at its heart a simple story about friendship. I am not really a fan of his movies except pulp fiction

Archtop Bill likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

I actually worked as an equipment operator on a water project at the Corcoran State prison where Manson was doing time. It was kind of appalling the notoriety he seemed to enjoy with the people working there. Mr. Manson this, and Mr. Manson that. I got tired of listening to it. One cool thing was though, if we came to work and there was a lock down we got a half day's pay for showing up.

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

we saw it last night. I really loved several elements in it. He knows LA in that period. He even got the light in LA back then right... Like in beatle movie, I like the idea of thinking through what if...

to me, the big themes are--> what when you lose a step... should you think about that? (QT feels it and wonders)

He is so precise in details throughout the film... fact, fact, fact... and then the end of the film... and so over the top violent (funny too)

I wish the ending in the film WAS factual.... on the whole, I loved it. But I don't think I want to see it again.

Last thought--> Brad Pitt is as great as I thought he'd be when I first saw him in River Runs Through It.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  14. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

It’s on the list. All I want a movie to do is get my attention, entertain me, and let me forget the real world
    If I moderately like the genre there’s is a pretty good chance I’ll see the flick

Hatfield92 and Archtop Bill like this.
  15. Skully

The non-factual ending made more sense to me here than it did in "Inglorious Basterds," and my understanding of it has grown since I saw it. It's hard to discuss here without revealing too much. At first, I wished a more traditional action scene had played been staged within the factual scenario, but altering it. And i still wished the action scene at the end had been a little less silly and more tense and drawn. Also, Cliff's state at the end could've been used more cinematically. But the very, very end was more moving to me the more I thought about it. It's the "Once Upon a Time..." fairytale.

[QUOTE/]Last thought--> Brad Pitt is as great as I thought he'd be when I first saw him in River Runs Through It.[/QUOTE]

Brad Pitt is able to just be onscreen. That's what great movie performances all about. Leonardo DiCaprio is acting. That's why I really dislike Meryl Streep work -- the technique and turning gears of her performances are always so apparent.

getbent likes this.
  16. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

ill do my usual...wait till this comes on tv

17. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

"I'll say this without spoiling it..."

*proceeds to spoil the ending for everyone*

LOL.

I liked the movie a lot. But there were moments where I was shifting around in my seat because of the long runtime.

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

Brad Pitt is able to just be onscreen. That's what great movie performances all about. Leonardo DiCaprio is acting. That's why I really dislike Meryl Streep work -- the technique and turning gears of her performances are always so apparent.[/QUOTE]

thanks for writing this... I very much enjoy what you have to say about this.... I was moved by the film (and I was moved by Yesterday too for a variety of reasons)

I kind of chalked it up to just getting older and starting to look back more... your insight on Pitt makes TONS of sense to me...

our theater experience was, well, bizarre. So many older couples TALKING during the film, I actually thought for a bit that it was surround sound trickery til the guy behind me stood and shouted 'hey, everyone just STOP talking' we clapped....

by the way is Pitt that ripped at 60... dang!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.