The Tale of Two Vox Wahs.... v848 and v847C

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I picked up the first wah, a Vox v848 Clyde McCoy reissue (made in USA) about a year ago and just didn't bond with it. It was/is in pristine condition with plastic still on the bottom plate - for 20 years old, it looked brand new. Its main visual distinction is a grey base instead of black. It sounded kinda thin to me, something not quite right compared with the classic wah recordings I have heard. I'm a vox fan for whatever reason in the wah department, not a Cry Baby fan for no particular reason, so I figured I'd try Vox again. The Gary Clark model seemed cool, but didn't go that route.

The second one arrived today - a Vox v847c which is a Japanese made signature edition for "Char" - no idea who that is but it was the sound from the demos that attracted me. The 847c is warm and throaty with a bright but not shrill top end. In heel down position, it gets this nice warm growl going with overdrives - really cool kinda sound. Seems to have more low end and this kinda vintage warm roundness that I haven't heard in most modern wahs.

The 848 as I mentioned sounds thinner but it seems the sweep is shifted up the frequency range by some amount to where heel down on the 848 is the cocked wah sound, but the same sound is a little forward from heel down on the 847. The 848 is also brighter/ice pick in the high end. It doesn't sound as full or warm compared to the 847c. I haven't tried a standard 847 but might get there at some point.

For now, the 847c despite its pretentious appearance, is a winner in my book - some great musical wah sounds in there. In fact, I haven't found a bad sound in the sweep. When I first plugged in the v848 I thought "I don't know what to do with this - there isn't a useable sound." Maybe a bit dramatic on my part, but I tend to trust my gut on things I hear the first time. I'll keep the 848 just because its in great shape and maybe I find a use down the road.

The 847c is pricey, but it sounds great. Photos to prove it happened below...

tempImagevwD6O5.png

tempImage62CUmU.png

tempImagegTTg5G.png

tempImagerob1iT.png

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Interesting info and pics...

I thought the differences in the circuit board were the most surprising to me. The 847-c has so few parts compared to the 848 - I guess they were going for a very "shaped" tone with the 848 so it took more pieces to accomplish. Sometimes less is so much more...