The Suzy-Q, a custom Telecaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mr_Q, May 29, 2019.

1. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

First scratch build. Several of you have been very helpful in getting my started down the rabbit hole (thanks!). I figure it's time to start the actual build thread. Suzy-Q 2019-0529 sm.jpg I'll share more details as I go along, but for now, I'll post periodic updates.
    Poplar body - will be painted
    Hard maple neck
    LMI rosewood fingerboard

Gotoh modern bridge
    Grover tuners
    GFS fat pole pickups

2. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

Got the truss rod sorted via the @TRexF16 method. (S-M Hot rod). I've also rough cut on the bandsaw and will trim up on the router table tomorrow.

The fretboard I have is quite oversized, do most of you rough cut them before gluing?

What about inlay bots? Before or after gluing? (Maybe doesn't matter...)

MVIMG_20190528_180632.jpg

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I radius my board, cut fret slots, drill holes, and glue in dots, all while the fretboard is a rectangle. After dots are flush by file and radius block, I cut and taper the fretboard , and lastly glue to neck wood. After gluing and sitting a bit, the fretboard is again checked for level. I install frets after it's on the board and the moisture from the glue has evaporated.

Greggorios, DrASATele and Mr_Q like this.
  4. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

Sounds like a plan, thanks Marty

Q

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

crazydave911 and Mr_Q like this.
  6. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

I rough cut my neck blank followed by gluing on the slotted board before any neck shaping. Then I trim the blank down to the neck and route the entire thing to dimension using a template. Since many inlays like abalone and pau heart are quite thin I drill and glue in dots after the board is radiused, which I do after shaping tbe back.

A dozen way to do it and the only one that matters is the one that works for you.

Eric

Mr_Q likes this.
  7. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

I'm honored by the shout-out, Mr. Q! Looks like it worked well for you.
    If that dark spot at the end of the access hole rout is a little router bit burn, recommend you clean it up now if possible, before the fretboard is glued on - it'll never have better access than now. Remember you'll be taking about 1/8" off the top of the headstock when you thin it after the fretboard is on so you don't need to worry about keeping the edges of the very end part of the rout super crisp during the router burn clean-up. It's great if you can, of course but no biggie.
    FWIW, I do all my fret slotting and dot layout and install after I have glued on the fretboard, but I may be in the minority.
    Cheers,
    Rex

eallen and Mr_Q like this.
  8. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Cool looking design but it's hard to call that a Telecaster. Or maybe it's just me. I would think the Telecaster body outline with anything other than Tele stuff going on inside the perimeter could be technically called a Telecaster. But that looks more like a Strat in outline and even has a Strat headstock. I know, I'm nitpicking.

Regardless, it's going to be a nice guitar.

Mr_Q likes this.
  9. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

Thanks, Greg.

Interesting question...does the shape of the guitar or the electronics determine it's classification?
    This guitar is based on the TDowns Rev E. Tele plans, the bridge, pickup configuration and controls are pure Tele. The neck (based on Ed Hawley's plans) has a square heel, but as you've pointed out, the headstock is a larger shape more reminiscent of a Strat, Jaguar or similar. (Fun fact, I overlaid all the Fender headstock profiles that I could find and drew my own that matches none of them, other than the 17 degree six on a side tuners. I expect the sound to be Telecaster twang, but maybe a little fatter as influenced by the GFS Fatbody pickups.

So is it a Strat clone? I don't think so.

It is double-cut, but the waist is offset (17 degrees again) and the shape is borrowed more from Jaguar, Jazzmaster and Maurauder with somewhat longer horns.

Of course, Fender makes a HH Telecaster, so what do I know?

Regardless of what it is, it's what I wanted to build. Final color is expected to be metallic Lake Placid blue or thereabouts.

Q

10. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

Thanks for the reminder, Marty. I read that once while planning this project, but I clearly needed to do it again.
    Appreciate the effort in sharing your knowledge!

Q

11. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

Well, crap.

I thought I was going slow enough around the heel, but the router grabbed a big chunk of maple and zipped it past my head. I suspect I needed to sand closer to the line before routing, or as some have suggested, don't rout the end grain...
    As Rex says, "Learn from the mistakes of others...you'll never live long enough to make 'em all yourself."

Undaunted, I glued that sucker hack on and I'll carefully carry on shaping and making mistakes. If I hate it, I'll make a new one later. Recovering from setbacks is a learned skill.

Cheers,
    Q

MVIMG_20190529_182435.jpg

kkphoto likes this.
  12. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Looks like a real clean break. Should be undetectable once you glue it on and plane it down.

13. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

I wasn't familiar with the Marauder until I looked it up after you mentioned it. Yours does favor it quite a bit in shape but you've got the Telecaster pickup and controls. I think you've beaten Fender to an alternative universe mashup here. :D

Mr_Q likes this.
  14. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

What bit are you using ?

15. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

Whiteside 3 flute. I'm generally happy with their bits.

Whiteside - WS2504 - 3 Flute Flush Trim, 1/2" CD, 1 1/2" CL, 1/2" SH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K2G462/?tag=tdpri-20

I've heard the helical bits are let prone to tear out.

Q

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

16. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

DrASATele and Mr_Q like this.
  17. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

Yup, I'm pretty sure that's what I did. I'm paranoid about sanding to far, and I left to much wood.

Learning...yay.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

18. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

We have all been there. Patience and planning before running a router is always a good and safe thing.

Mr_Q and DrASATele like this.
  19. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    You're taking off too much with the router bit. Trace your template with a sharp pencil - not a felt tip marker - and cut as close to the line as possible. Then your router bit isn't working as hard and the chance of this type of thing happening is greatly reduced.

Skydog1010 and DrASATele like this.
  20. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I love new/new threads all the various techniques get thrown around while trying to get the OP where they want to go.

Great job Q! I agree with the glue it back on and sand it down for the save.
    I've only routed a body and a neck shape wise once, I sand to the line these days. When you ruin expensive woods during a build it makes you look at your process. I think the key is to be comfortable with whatever you choose to do and to learn to do it in a safe and clean way.

Keep it coming, I'm looking forward to the rest!

eallen and Mr_Q like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.