1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Super Champ XD club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Kid Klash, Jun 26, 2009.

1. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Didn't somebody mirror Billm's site or take over the original and keep it going? I thought that happened a while after he passed but my memory being what it is...?

2. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I got my SCXD out of the closet where it had been resting for over a year and gave it a good workout. I think this thing is sounding better than it ever has. I have been messing with modelers for a while and I have to say that a real amp is hard to replace.

I am retired now and it is winter time, so I have been practicing a lot. I think, more than anything, my playing is coming to a point where I can make the amp sound the way I want using my fingers, the guitar and the volume and tone knobs on the guitar.....I wish I could have figured that out many years ago..... I would have a lot less gear...LOL.

For those of us that chase tone with gear... It is important.... but your mojo might just be in your hands.

That being said, the SCXD is a fine piece of gear......I think it will stay out and some of this other stuff will take it's place in the closet.

DrBGood, driver8, DADGAD and 3 others like this.
  3. Manolian

Manolian Tele-Meister

Yep , great amp, have had mine since 2008 when they first came out , still sounds great. I did put an Eminence Alessandro GA-SC10 in it , which sounds much better than the stock speaker.

DADGAD likes this.
  4. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Mine has a Jenson C10K in it. It sounds nice and smooth to me. I tried a 10 inch Alnico (can't remember the brand) and didn't like it as well as the ceramic. The Alnico was too harsh and middy for my taste.

......but a fine unit.

Funny thing..... I was just looking at a Champion 50 XL. It looks like the 50XL is a SS version of the SCXD.

driver8 likes this.
  5. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

I picked up an old, broken, Princeton Chorus amp that had two Fender branded Eminence Legend 1058 speakers. The speakers are now in my SuperChamp XD amps and they sound much better. More open and louder.

driver8 likes this.
  6. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

I'm actually entering the beginning stages of thinking of selling mine...but I'll give that time to see if the thought takes root. I already have a real '67 Princeton Reverb that's been modded beyond collectability, and couple other 15-watt tubers that cover the bases...and space is getting to be a consideration. If that day comes I'll post the ad here first.

7. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I’m happy with the SCXD for now. I know tube amps are the standard for great tone, but I’m done with tubes. There’s enough great choices out there for me to do SS all the way.
    To my ears, big tube amps sound fantastic......... small tube amps......not so much.... unless you can crank them on up.
    My needs these days are modest enough that I can do SS with no problems.

8. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

I've still got mine, put a Weber Sig 10-S ceramic in it, which increased the output. The models don't sound as good as with the stock speaker, but the clean channel sounds great. It might just need more break-in, not sure. I'm happy with just channel 1 and pedals, though - it's a little bit like a budget princeton.

DrBGood likes this.
  9. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Have you looked in the back of your SCXD ? o_O

fjblair, wabashslim and driver8 like this.
  10. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Yes. It is a hybrid..... I have found several SS alternatives that fit my needs better than tubes.

DrBGood likes this.
  11. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I bought my SCXD new several years ago and it still has the original tubes in it. I’m thinking it might be time for a replacement set.
    I play it mostly on the clean channel as none of the models sound any better to me.
    Looking for replacement tube recommendations. I’m looking for nice detail, sparkling fender clean sound. I’m not much into the high gain styles.

12. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Of new production tubes, I’d personally go with a pair of JJ Tesla 6V6 tubes and an Electro Harmonix 12AX7. You’re likely to get lots of answers. :)

13. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

I was just looking at the schematic for the XD and noticed that the line out jack is a TRS. The owners manual says to only use a standard 1/4” plug on the line out jack. Is there a cab sim circuit here, that you can use with a TRS to XLR adapter cable?

0FA84E2F-F159-4CF1-AC41-1DEDB5F417FE.jpeg

14. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Wrong thread. Delete.

15. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

I recently discovered that for voices 1 (Vintage Tweed) and 4 (Vintage Blackface), when the gain is dimed they get much closer to the amps they're emulating . Modulate with volume.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  16. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Funny, not the same amps I know, but I own a Roland Micro Cube ( a few months old, and I dig it!)

It has Roland Jazz Chorus, BF Fender, VOX, Marshall amp models, ( and a few others I don't care for), that have the similar Gain and Volume knobs

They really work differently with each model- good sounds but you have to explore.

Ex. The Marshall one gives you two different but great sounds:

* Note: the Cube has a Master Volume, apart from the Gain and Volume knobs- great feature!

With Volume knob cranked and Gain used as a Master - you get a very clean sustain with very little distortion; like clean/compressed

But with Gain at say 1:00 clock, and Volume wherever ( for Volume), you get a nice '70's hard rock crunch

Just communicating what I am learning, now

17. Bassfux

Bassfux TDPRI Member

Super Champ Mod Update : Three Channel!

Here's my Update to my previous post. 3 Channel Footswitch is ready. Wooden construction planked with beer cans . Cable is plugable. I use a cheap standard HDMI Cable. Because of no audio signals passing, shieldding is not necessary.

The switches from left to right:
    1- boost switch ( a relay reduces between preamp and power amp the R25/15K to 0 Ohms)
    2 - channel select switch ( = original channel select clean / Voice)
    3 - Voice select switch - New - selects voice channel 1 (setting at backside as standard voice ! see arrow in pic) to voice channel 2 (setting front side)
    4 - F/X on off like original switch
    5 - F/X select switch - New - selects F/X "A" (setting at backside as standard F/X !) to "F/X 2 " (setting front side).

Some features of the mod:

- No mechanical/ metal changes/ work on chassis or PCB board.
    - electronic actions: only cutting/ interrupting 2 cables ! Rest is adding components by soldering.
    - All switch status with led.
    - costs for switches, material, components less than 100€. This may be optimized or reduced, if you don't want all switches.
    - Plug for floorboard may be instead at left or right side.
    - The mod is dependent on size of cabinet/ housing.

disadvantage: Gain and volume 2 work for both voice channels. Dito for F/X.

But: This mod brings great flexibility!

Next mods planned:

Bringing a 12" speaker into the standard 10" combo cab!

and

Special faceplate vintage brown with personal name

Attached Files:

DrBGood likes this.
  18. geoffsm

geoffsm NEW MEMBER!

Hi, I’m also “new” here (after many, many years of lurking), wanted to share my experience “rehabbing” my SCXD which I bought new in 2008 and never changed the tubes on through to about 2016-17 when it developed a static/crackling/popping/“whooshing” noise which would get gradually louder until it overwhelmed the signal. This was independent of any dial positions, channel/voice, effects, etc. At the time, something in my brain said “power section issue” (i.e. downstream, hopefully, of all the digital bits). Anyway, a couple months ago I saw it in the closet out of the corner of my eye and thought, “Man, I really loved playing through that amp!”

I fired it up but it was still making the sound. I got a new set of tubes (all Tung-Sol new production) and tried those in it. Same thing, only now the sound was way louder, and quickly. Had to turn it off. So I did what comes naturally — gave it several hard smacks on the top and sides. A Les Paul humbucker height adjustment screw fell out of the gap between the chassis and the cabinet and stuck itself to the speaker magnet (;)). No idea if this was material to the issue.

Next, I carefully applied Deoxit-5 to all jacks and to the tube sockets. I used the old tubes to work the contact cleaner into the sockets, gently plugging/re-plugging them several times. I waited a few minutes, re-installed the Tung-Sols, and powered it on. Within 5 minutes, the sound started again but stayed at a very low level. After about 10-15 minutes, it seemed to completely disappear and I was able to play through it for several hours without issue. That was a couple of weeks ago and… so far so good! I’ve had it on for 5-6 hours at a time multiple times since then at varying volume levels. With the stock speaker (very broken in at this point) and the new tubes burned in it sounds even better than I remembered! On channel 1, has possibly completely killed my GAS for a PRRI(?).

So, hopefully this could possibly help someone out there who is having the same problem with theirs. But also I’m wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and what might be a more comprehensive/long-term fix, if any? Anyway, thanks to all for all the great help and opinions on this board!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.