1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Super Champ XD club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Kid Klash, Jun 26, 2009.

1. DougF

DougF Tele-Meister

I put a Red, White and Blue Eminence 12"speaker in a Newall cab and now my Super Champ XD sounds great, especially on the clean #1 channel.

2. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

I wanted to start playing my SCXD again, so I got a Weber Sig10 to beef it up a little. Strangely enough, the stock speaker bolts are too short for the Weber, and they don't catch the threads in the baffle. I contacted Weber to see what was up, and they said they'd never encountered this problem before.

I find it hard to believe I have the only SCXD with short bolts lol, but if Weber had changed their design I'm sure they would have told me when I emailed them. I'm going to head to Lowes/HD to get some new bolts, but I'm just afraid of getting the wrong size and stripping the threads. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this with their SCXD and what did to address it.Thanks!

3. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

Just getting caught up with SCXD posts since I posted. Your P10R sounds like an interesting speaker choice and easy to try since I could pull one from my Vibroverb RI. I might try that this weekend at a band jam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

4. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

Fixed with 10-32 3/4" bolts, if anyone has this issue at some point.

5. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

I also posted this on the amp tech section in case you've read this before -
    I've been using my SCXD at practice lately and noticed that, without warning or adjustment, the effects level goes to max. It seems to come and go but once maxed oyt, it stays there.
    I fiddled with the effects level pot it seems to do nothing at that point although when operating correctly, it adjusts the level as advertised.
    The schematic shows a normal potentiometer in that position so I'm thinking of testing the pot to see if it's grounded (or not depending on how it works).
    If no joy there, then my SCXD may have reached its end of life, since they're really not worth putting alot of money in.

6. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

If it has reached its end of life then send it to me. I don't consider a $10 potentiometer too much to invest. :)

7. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

No, if it's just yhe pot then I'll fix it. What I meant is, if it's a malfunction of the digital portion of the circuit then it's "not user repairable "

8. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

Just an update - I pulled the chassis and tested the effects pot. It checks out fine. So I checked all the ribbon cable connections and re-seated them. I put the thing back together, and lo and behold the effects are now fully controllable.
    Not finding a smoking gun, I'm a bit leary of the amp's reliability at this point. But someone over on the amp tech section suggested that a loose or badly connected ribbon cable could've been the culprit.
    There is a SCXD for sale locally and the guy says he has no more than 2 hours play on it. It's complete with all "case candy" and even comes in the original box. All for $200. I'm hoping to get that, and I can install the chassis of my current SCXD back in the Newell cab I bought for a 12" speaker. I had abandoned it after trying a Warehouse G12C and not liking the sound. It may be time to experiment with some other speaker choices.

9. SirCVH

SirCVH NEW MEMBER!

Yesterday I “fixed” the digital board on my Super Champ XD. I wanted to share what I did in case it would help someone else out there with a broken/malfunctioning DSP board. I have been fixing tube amps for a long time, and don't generally enjoy fixing digital stuff, but I like this amp. Let me say this first, this “solution” should only be tried if you have completely eliminated every other possible cause of trouble in the amp, and identified that the digital preamp is absolutely the problem with your amplifier. If your dsp board is actually working, doing this could possibly break it. I take no responsibility for what you do with your amp, and the only reason I did this in the first place was my next step was to remove the dsp board and make it an all analog amp. That said, I am excited and have gone from a useless amp to a fully functional Super Champ XD, and I sincerely hope this helps someone out there.

Background

I bought a second hand XD that had some output tube trouble and fried R79 in the power supply as is common in these amps. The amp had been worked on to replace R79, but was described to have a loud hiss sound, which I took as maybe 120 cycle hum, and for about $50, I figured I could at least make something with the transformers if I couldn’t fix it. I took it home, rebuilt and recapped the power supply, fixed some bad connections on the ribbons, and gave it a good once over. Turned it on, and a super loud static noise came through the speaker. Sounded kind of like 120 cycle hum, but more like radio static from when you are between stations on the radio, and very loud. With a guitar plugged in, you could kind of hear the guitar come through quietly under the loud static sound. Static sound was unaffected by any panel controls, and I have read of this issue in some other threads online. After eliminating every other possibility and signal tracing the whole amp, the problem was definitely with the dsp digital preamp board, as I had read is a common issue with this amp, with replacement boards unavailable. I know many of them fail in a different way, they go silent. I have no idea if these two styles of failure happen for the same reason, and I do not know if what solved my static issue would solve a silent failure. I would personally try it if I was in that position, and I would love to hear if someone is able to fix one by this method.

The Method

I decided to poke around the digital board to see if there were any lifted pins, dirty contacts, etc. I have read that you can reset the digital board on the X2 through software, but that possibility doesn’t exist on the XD with no usb connection. I currently am going on the theory that what I am going to describe performs a “reset” on the XD digital board. I believe it may be possible to restore a preamp that has failed silently. I am thinking that these failures are dsp software loops and they fail silently or with noise depending on the preamp setting that the amp is set on at failure (some settings are quiet and clean, others are noisy and overdriven. This is just a guess at what is happening and why this worked for me, I have no way to confirm that suspicion.

In the picture attached/linked below, I have a red box around U1, a voltage regulator with the middle pin (pin 2) snipped, in a corner of the dsp board. I have labeled the pins, 1, 2, and 3 in the picture. I don’t know if these are the correct numbers from the data sheet for this part, so when I refer to these pin numbers, I am referring to the pins in the picture I have labeled.

Here is what I did (Please Read the Whole Post Before Attempting):

With the amp turned on and sitting on my bench and the speaker plugged in, static noise blaring in the speaker, I used a meter probe and bridged pin 2 with pin 3 for about 2 seconds. When I did this the amp went relatively silent from the blaring sound it was just making, but still making just a small bit of noise. I said to myself, “If it wasn’t broken before, you just broke it”, so then, just to make sure it was good and broken, I used the meter probe and bridged pins 1 & 2 for about 2 seconds. Amp went totally silent, but speaker was still resonating slightly like all tube amps when turned on. Just to check that it was indeed broken, I plugged in a guitar, and to my surprise, the guitar rang through loud and clear. All functions work, just clear, beautiful guitar tone.

If I was going to try this again here is what I would do: I would use a probe (with the amp turned on) to bridge pins 1 & 2 for a brief second. Honestly, I don’t know if the actual successful bridge is between pins 1 & 2 or Pin 1 & the ground plane underneath the snipped pin 2. I am fairly certain that I hit both pin 2 and the ground plane. But I hope someone who tries this with any success can further verify the successful connection, as it is probably one or the other. There is always the possibility of this process going poorly and releasing magic smoke, but I had no smoke or issue with any of these bridges, and I now have a 100% functional amp.

I have no reason to lie, and I would absolutely try this again, as I am 100% positive this is what fixed my preamp board. I wish I had another broken one to try to verify. If confirmed, it would be easy to wire a momentary switch to the regulator to act as a preamp reset button.

I’m happy to answer any questions, and would love to hear if anyone else has any success trying this on their non-functional board.

SuperChampXD_DigiBoard.jpg

wblynch likes this.
  10. Stratman57UK

Stratman57UK TDPRI Member

11. Stratman57UK

Hi there, first time poster, I came across this site whilst researching how to fix my broken Super Champ XD.

I turned it on the other day and no sound output, it had been working at the last band practice. The power light comes on but no sound.

I checked the valves and one of the 6V6GTs wasn't glowing. Fine I thought, that just needs replacing, however having done that still no output. I also noticed that the led for the 2nd channel doesn't light up either. A Google search came up with this forum and another that although had some great advice wouldn't let me register without having a referrer.

From those forum posts it appears that the DSP board is dead. the I've got the schematic and service manual, but can't figure out which transformer outputs correspond to the 5v DSP board supply. I've also checked r79, which is reading roughly 1000 ohm.

weird things are that when any of the control pots are turned down to 1, there is a static whistling sound through the speaker. This disappears at any other value, and with the ribbon cable disconnected.

Secondly, several of the solutions say it is possible to bypass the digital board altogether and just use the valve section as a power amp. According to this it just involves inserting a jack socket with the tip feeding into C64 on the schematic, the sleeve I assume going to ground. So I tried this, using a drum machine to provide the line level signal, still no sound, until I turned the amp off, then I could hear the drum machine playing for around 20 seconds, after which it faded out.

Sorry for the long post, bit I'm a bit loath to have to junk the amp unless it's completely beyond salvage.

Regards, Simon.

12. Stratman57UK

Sorry duplicate post.

13. SirCVH

SirCVH NEW MEMBER!

Stratman
    The led issue you are having is the same that I had when my dsp board wasn't working, so that, in combination with your observation that the hiss went away when the ribbon was disconnected would lead me to think the dsp board was at fault. Your failing 6v6 could definitely have taken out something in the power supply though too, so don't take this as gospel, I can't diagnose your amp over the internet. Did you try the procedure I described in the post above yours?

wblynch likes this.
  14. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Does this look like it would hold the XD chassis? Doesn’t say what it would hold or was ment for.

A873EBC5-D140-4622-A8A7-47A516C37287.png

15. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

It will fit... might need a sawzall and a hammer :D :D

Just kidding. I have no idea

16. Mark

Mark Tele-Meister

Mine is my practice amp. I put a Swamp Thing speaker in it and it really warmed it up. I only use the reverb in the DSP and it sounds good. For me the overdrives sound terrible. I use my pedals

17. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

New SCXD owner here! I bought it used a couple of days ago but wanted to read all 157 pages (Gasp!) before posting.

This thing rocks!

My local Guitar Denter had a used Super Champ XD listed online, in "fair" condition for $209 dollars. I rushed over to check it out and the tag said it was marked down from $259. I could see why, as it looked like it had been dropped. There was a crack in the top, front to back, near the LED power indicator. Since I was already there, I figured I'd plug in a Strat to see what it sounds like. Wow! I now understand all the love for this amp. It was impressive and all features functioned flawlessly.

I took the same Strat over to a new, Super Champ X2 that was nearby. It sounded poor compared to the XD. I wondered if it was due to different tubes, a different design or the fact that the older XD had a broken-in speaker. But the difference was obvious... and significant. The X2 sounded like it had a blanket over it in comparison.

Back to the abused XD

I took the XD for a spin again and it was still impressive. This coming from a guy that owns a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe, a 72 Deluxe Reverb and a Blackface Bandmaster. Do I buy it in spite of the cracked cabinet? It was like deciding to buy an amazing used guitar that had buckle rash on the back and needed a new switch. Would it haunt me, down the road, if I didn't buy the magic tone machine? So, I bought it.

[​IMG]

At home, fIrst order of business was to test the Fender branded Groove Tubes on my Hickok tube tester. One 6V6 had a short. (Weird that it had a short but sounded okay.) I replaced the pair with a matched set of old Sylvania 6V6GT tubes and biased the amp to 40mv across the one ohm resistor. The amp sounded even better, if that were even possible. I reglued the cleats with Elmers white glue and clamped them and closed the crack in the top as best as I could. The particle board cabinet sucks but it is what it is. The picture above is post repair.

Next, I tested about 20 different tubes in the 12AX7 slot. All were better sounding than the OEM tube. A Sovtek 12AX7WA sounded very nice. If I were to go with a newly manufactured tube, that is the one I would select.

What was interesting was the significant difference that different 12AX7s made in the sound. Some made it sound flatulent with complex, low note chords when driving the amp hard. Almost like a bad speaker. I settled on an old RCA, large plate, black plate, 12AX7. Sweetness!

There is another SCXD on the other side of town for $225. I just may go over there today to pick it up as a backup. Hmm. Decisions, decisions.

Saturday, I have a classic rock gig at the VFW for 200 people. I just may put this Super Champ XD to the ultimate test. Last gig, my Silverface Deluxe Reverb was more than enough power for the gig and I never turned the volume above "5".

Should it ever die, I can always mod it to use a Joyo American Sound for a front end, driving the output tube section and still be in business. I hope that never happens. Being as this thing took a significant fall and still functions hopefully is testament to its longevity.

Coolhand and Manolian like this.
  18. Manolian

Manolian Tele-Meister

Nice. Congrats good job on the repair too, I have one I bought back in 2008 when they first came out, still sounding great, ( I did put an Eminence ragin cajun speaker in it )
    The bass player i play with calls it the "SUPER MAN CHAMP" ;)

DADGAD likes this.
  19. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Are you still gigging with the XD?

I wonder if anybody who has posted still owns and gigs with one.

20. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

___

Since I got my Yammie THR10 I haven't used my XD at all, but it is interesting what you say about the tubes making a lt of difference. Because it is a modelling amp I discounted the tubes making much of a difference. I bought mine ex-demo and one of the tubes failed as in it was making fizzing noises. Fender sent me GrooveTube replacements and it did improve the sound ...obviously.

I understand the clean channel also uses a DSP voice to create a Blackface type tone. I found that to be the best setting with then something in front of it like the American SOund Pedal to vary the gain and voice.

One thing I have never tried is using the clean channel cranked with a signal booster - does that sound remotely like a Princeton or Deluxe Reverb?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.