1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Super Champ XD club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Kid Klash, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I believe the answer is no. The line out signal is not suitable for headphones, just like you can't plug headphones directly into your guitar. Also, the line out does not silence the amp's speaker.

2. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Rats! Thanks. :(

3. TrevorMag

TrevorMag TDPRI Member

I think my attempt at #16 (acoustic) is better than the XD's, but my attempts at #1, #2 and #3 (Bassman clean, overdrive & lead) are only "almost as good".

I have included these patches below. They are in very terse form - G3 owners will know how to make sense of them. Also, I've omitted the ZNR (noise reduction) and DLY+REV (delay & reverb) pedals from the patches, as they are not essential to the sound and more "to taste".

If any Zoom G3 owners also have/had a Fender SCXD/SCX2, and you liked those particular voices, please give them a try. If you have managed to get closer to the SCXD's sounds, please let me know by posting a reply or PM'ing me.

#1: "Bassman Clean"
    Comp: 3, 7, 100, Slow
    FD Combo: 24, 30, 75, 42, 45, 72, 52, FD Combo 2x12​

#2: "Bassman Overdrive"
    Comp: 2, 8, 35, Slow
    US Blues: 50, 90, 95, 45, 50, 52, 17, US Blues 4x10​

#3: "Bassman Lead"
    Comp: 8, 8, 85, Fast
    Para EQ: 160 Hz, 1, -1, 1 KHz, 0.5, 7, 100
    US Blues: 70, 100, 75, 25, 50, 50, 50, US Blues 4x10​

#16: "Acoustic"
    Graphic EQ: -1, -4, -5, -3, 4, 6, 100
    Acoustic: 5, 63, 52 ​

rickthescot likes this.
  4. primal65

primal65 NEW MEMBER!

Encoder

Does anyone have a link to a suitable replacement encoder? Mine is starting to act up and I'd like to get one before I decide to open it up to repair it.

5. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Try Fender Customer service. :)

6. primal65

primal65 NEW MEMBER!

yea lol. It wasn't as if I didn't think of that. I just didn't know how helpful they'd be with the whole "not serviceable" aspect of the super champ xd.

7. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

You never know until you try.

8. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

I keep A-B ing my "new-to-me" SCXD with my old s.s. Fender Deluxe 112, and although the SCXD is nice and all, I actually like the tones I get out of the Deluxe 112 with a non-original Jensen C12Q better. Much better bass response and punch. I'm not into alot of the amp models or effects and mainly just use ch 2 for a tweed tone and 'verb. I probably should've just gotten a Blues Jr. for what they're worth but I was looking for a cheap version of a Princeton Reverb and the SCXD seemed to fit the bill - 15 watts, 10" speaker, Blackface tones.
    I've plugged it into the C12Q in the Deluxe 112 cabinet and it does sound alot better thru a 12" (the Deluxe 112 cab is a bit bigger as well). The original plan was to install the SCXD head in the Deluxe cab and have a SCXD 1x12, but I don't really want to break up a perfectly good Deluxe 112.
    I've read alot about aftermarket 10" speakers for the SCXD and it would seem like the simplest solution, but will a 10" speaker swap get me that deeper bass and a bit more punch? Has anyone compared their favorite 10" aftermarket SCXD speaker with a 12"? Can the 10" get close to the same tone??

9. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

I use a Jensen Jet Falcon 10 and could not be happier. Bigger sound all around.

10. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

At this point I've pretty much decided to go with a 12" speaker in a Newell cabinet. I'm hearing good things about Warehouse speakers so I'm thinking a WG12C or C/S. They're supposed to replicate a vintage Jensen C12N.

11. jdaunt

jdaunt Tele-Meister

I went with a 12" Eminence Cannibus Rex and couldn't be happier. The extra size really livens up the dirty channels, and the hemp cone gives a really nice tone.

12. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

I've got a Weber 25watt 12F150W in mine; a kind of C12N with a bit of "Tele Twang" (Weber's words). I like it, I've had a Reverend Alltone, Celestion Blue, P12R, C12K, and a Peavey Scorpion in there and this is probably the best for all-round clean & dirty pickin'. But I also like the original 10" too.

13. soul&folk

soul&folk NEW MEMBER!

Hello All. I've had a Valve Jr. with its matching 12" cab housing a GWS for a few years. It's been modded with a beefier transformer, an attenuator and a tone control.

I was looking for something brighter and more Fendery and came across this thread.
    To make a long story short I was impressed enough by this thread and some youtube videos to grab one from GC used for $200. I am impressed. Then I just found an old beat up speaker cab with a pair of Celestion G12 Vintage 30s in them. I am really liking this! Awesome!

I've got a few questions that I hope some fine, knowledgeable people can help me with:

I saw that discussion about an L-pad. Does the Weber Mini Mass accomplish the same thing?

I see 2 advantages of getting that over installing the L-pad.
    1) I can place it on top of the amp and adjust the volume from the front.
    2) It's got a line out. Since its line out is after the speaker out of the amp, it should have all the tube goodness from this amp available for recording, better than the line out at the back of the amp that is before the tubes enter the signal path.

Does anyone here use a mini-mass? Do you know if I can put the volume at 0 and still get a signal out so I can record silently?

The other device that interests me is the weber headphone tap. If I understand what this box does correctly, it takes the speaker out signal, attenuates either a line out or a headphone or both. Or the box can be bypassed with a switch.

So it seems owning both and putting them both in the chain would allow me to do all these things:
    1) play through headphones and silence the speaker
    2) push the tubes without increased volume
    3) send all that good tone through either one of the boxes' line outs or headphone output for recording.

Is all of this correct?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  14. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

I have a mini mass, only used it once on the SCXD to see where the clean channel breakup point was (around 5). I personally can't stand the sound of guitars straight thru headphones whether clean or processed - just too direct & stark, too buzzy. There needs to be air between ears & speaker as a buffer. In my experience, that is....you're not going to get all that "good tone" running direct the way you're thinking. Better you should take your attenuator money and buy a good microphone instead.

15. soul&folk

soul&folk NEW MEMBER!

I totally get your point about needing the movement of the speakers to really make things come alive with any amp.

My reasoning behind getting these is for late night recording or just spending time late at night learning more about this amp.

I own a Johnson J-Station which is a great fx/amp modeling unit with a headphone output and digital output for recording and that's been great. Just wanted to see if I could do some of that with the SCXD.

16. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

I hope nobody believed me. My new final best setup is Tung Sol preamp and power tubes and the Jensen MOD 10-35. I thought that combo would be too bright but it's not. Most excellent :D

17. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

Finally got my SCXD 12" speaker cabinet from Brian Holt. I had him build it with blackface cosmetics so it's a little sleeper amp. Put it together the other day with a Warehouse G12C speaker. Even though the speaker isn't broken in, I can tell this amp is going to be full of great tones! I plan to use it mostly for clean Deluxe-ish and a Tweed Deluxe/Bassman voice. It should make a great grab and go amp!

18. Whipsnade

Whipsnade TDPRI Member

In!

Mostly play thru a Vox AC15 C1X, but the little Fender is awesome. Replaced the stock speaker with a Ragin Cajun.

19. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Count me in too. Love it.

Attached Files:

20. Manolian

Manolian Tele-Meister

Me too, replaced original speaker with the ragin cajun, great little rehearsal amp, a mini-super reverb. :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.