1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Super Champ XD club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Kid Klash, Jun 26, 2009.

1. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

SCX2 w. internal speaker AND external cab

sorry, moved reply to SCX2 owners club...

2. kilznah

kilznah TDPRI Member

My mods- Newell cab and the best speaker ever made ( alnico blue 12" )
    So far so good !
    Sorry for the blurriness....cell pics

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  3. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Nice! How does that speaker sound with it?

4. kilznah

kilznah TDPRI Member

Well 1st of all, the switch from the factory 10" to a 12" is mandatory and totally fattens and warms up all the sounds. I actually ran the amp stock as a head to a 1-12 cab for about 3 months.
    What the blue does better than any other speaker IMO is articulate notes, even with a fairly distorted signal. The # 3 setting on the XD is a great overdriven compressed tweed sound, but almost a little too compressed to the point of muddy. But running through that blue it cuts right through perfect...especially with a Tele. AND...it cleans up very clear when you roll back the volume, you can get a nice clear rhythm or funk tone than just crank it up for the solo.

To my ears when cranked on voice 3, its the closest to the sound of the Stairway to Heaven tele solo by Page...and while we have all heard it a million too many times, is still one of the greatest rock tele tones ever recorded.
    Hope this helps !

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  5. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

First weekend where I can spend some time with the Celestion and my Tele with Keystones. All I can say is "oh my!!" :D:eek::D

6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well...my SCXD needs to be removed from the list of these amps that have failed. It all started with the amp going dead silent at low volume. I took the chasis out of the 12" retrofit cab and replaced it in the original and popped the speaker clips back on the 10". Somehow I stupidly managed to forget to plug in the speaker I guess. Naturaly I assumed the amp itself had puked something. I even took the amp into my Fender repair station and the fella told me he thought it was the spade connectors...but I think he was really just afraid to tell me I how stupid I was for forgot to plug in the speaker...LOL!

Sooo....the amp is fine...so it must be? Yep. The 1.5 year old WGS Reaper speaker died. I tested for continuiety between + and - and there was none. I e-mailed WGS and even though it was out of warranty they said to send it back. A week later I recieved brand new replacement speaker at no charge.

I'm so happy to have my favorite amp back. I love both my other Fender tube amps but this SCXD just has the sweetest clean and the most versatile set of voices and effects I could want! I certainly do agree with the above post that a 12" speaker really expands the tone of these great little amps.

7. davidwhitson

davidwhitson Tele-Meister

Took mine back to church this morning after the ch. 2 problem from last week went away. Plug in and...the same thing happens again. Ch. 1 is fine and sounds great but I can't get anything out of Ch. 2. The effects still work too! So I bring it home again and finally got ch. 2 on again after rotating the volume pot all the way up and down several times. What?

8. davidwhitson

davidwhitson Tele-Meister

I am really torn. I love the sounds I get out of this amp, but I am now really worried about the reliability. I should probably just take it back and move on.

I'm just scratching my head. Why would the effects still work -DSP - if Ch 2 is dead - DSP also???

I would keep it as a great sounding clean amp and just run pedals into it if I knew it wasn't going to crater on me!

9. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

That suxs. I usually dump equipment I don't 100% trust. My XD is fine, but it stays home.

10. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

Hi,
    wondering if there's any speaker out there that's worth an upgrade (from the stock 'special design') below -let's assume- a 96db efficiency rating. So far I think the stock isn't too shabby but misses a little girth/scale.

I like a lot what's happening with Channel 1 above Vol 4. Clean but rich. Compares favorably to all the Ch 2 Fendery sounds. But Above that is too loud for the neighbors. I am using the amp exclusively at home and all commonly used speaker upgrades make the amp louder.

Tubes: Does a swap w. the usual Tung Sols or JJ power stage tubes make a difference volume wise?
    And as for tonal improvements: Which ones do more? Pre stage Tube or Power? I've read different opinions on that.

thanks!
    kai

11. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

You're right, they wouldn't work, ergo the DSP is not dead.

My guess is the problem is those two rotary switches - one for FX select, one for voice select. Most likely the voice select switch has dirty or worn contacts, and isn't doing its job.

I would try first simply exercising the switch (move it back and forth several times). If that doesn't do the trick, perhaps try applying a tiny amount of contact cleaner to the switch. (Remember to physically pull out the power cord and wait an hour for all the caps to completely discharge before you try to remove the chassis from the cab to apply the contact cleaner.)
    FWIW mine is still going strong. It's led a pretty sheltered life, but surely it can't be the only one?

One thing the SCXD's wonderful clean tone has done for me is led me to really appreciate how good a pair of 6V6 tubes can sound, particularly when combined with a semi-hollow electric guitar. I love the sound of my Agile AS-820 semi-hollow through the SCXD's clean channel, and thanks to that wonderful tone now I have expensive cravings for a Princeton Reverb.

This video clip is a great example of just how wonderful this combo (ES-335 plus Princeton) can sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVk2m3mkTo

-Gnobuddy

12. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

I agree with you on all points, including the "too loud" part and the fact that most aftermarket speakers make the amp even louder.

My solution was to add an L-pad to my SCXD, between the amp's output jack and the actual loudspeaker.

An L-pad is a resistive attenuator, usually used to control tweeter level in a woofer/tweeter speaker system. It maintains a constant 8 ohms impedance at the input even when you change the amount of attenuation (speaker volume), so it's a good match to a low wattage tube amp like the SCXD.

With the L-pad, I usually set the clean channel volume to about 7, at which point I get that lovely rich tone you mentioned. To avoid being deafened by the incredibly loud sound, I then turn down the speaker volume with the L-pad until it is neighbour-friendly.

It seems somewhere around 1/4 watt power into the speaker is actually plenty for home use. This starts to make sense when you realise that 1 watt into a typical guitar speaker is about as loud as a trumpet ( a comparison made by Billm on this forum). Dunno about you, but I don't really want an amp as loud as a trumpet blast in my little spare bedroom!

Here in the USA you can get an L-pad from Parts Express:
    1) "50 watt" version: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=260-252

2) "100 watt" version: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=260-262

Take those power ratings with a large pinch of salt, I'm pretty sure neither L-pad will actually handle anything close to 50 watts. But the smaller one seems to cope okay with the 15 - 20 watts from the SCXD, and it's less awkwardly large than the 100 watt one.

The L-pad mod was first mentioned on this thread by user jeober, on page 11. He has two or three posts about the mod, including pictures of how to connect one (if it's not obvious when you get the thing in your hand).

-Gnobuddy

13. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

Thanks Gnobuddy; very helpful hints. I will try one for sure. Just probably need to order in the US, as I have not been able to find anything similar here in Europe.

14. tom310

tom310 Tele-Meister

Gnobuddy, I still have my SCXD out here too, but since I got my Egnater Tweaker and Vox Lil' Night Train, it's been pretty silent. I recently found out from Fender that my SCXD is a 2009 model.

15. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Considering the possible number of units that were sold of the first generation, I do wonder how many of the DSPs have failed up to this point. My WAG is that it would be somewhere less than 5-8%.

For every unit that is mentioned on the web as problematic, there's a large (possibly huge) number of good working units out there. And, then there's the question of failed units-where the user never posts on the Internet about his dead amp in the closet.

16. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

My first one bit the dust, but my second SCXD is going strong, and I've hauled it all over the place.

The teddy bear is an innovative touch.

17. Manolian

Manolian Tele-Meister

Eminence patriot Rajin' Cajun.

18. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I don't much like the stock speaker, except for apartment practicing. I am very happy, on the other hand, with the sound when I run the XD as a preamp into a powered cabinet with a 12" Celestion (Tech 21 Power Engine.)

19. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

Thanks Mr., apartment is where I am jamming right now. And the stock seems more than ok for that in my book (but the last amp I had and heard died 15yrs ago...). But once I take this bad puppy into rehearsing/gigs, I am sure an external cab or louder speaker will be needed. And I have a hunch this could be Celestion or...

Yes. But for now, thanks but no thanks:
    The Ragin Cajun is a 100 DB and I am looking for '...below -let's assume- a 96db efficiency rating...'

20. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

You're very welcome. I hope it works for you.

If you don't get an L-pad, you can make a fixed (not adjustable) L-pad attenuator with a few power resistors. I made one that cuts down the power by a factor of 16, so I get roughly 1 watt out of the 15-watt SCXD and 15 watt Blues Junior. That's how I found out that 1 watt is actually too much to use at home, particularly at night - at 1 watt the SCXD is loud, and the Blues Junior is even louder (very efficient Cannabis Rex speaker). There's a schematic and a bit more info in one of my previous posts: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/4100702-post1766.html

A couple more things I forgot to mention in my last post: one, for me the L-pad lives almost at the zero volume end of its dial when I play at home. Two, when you dial down the volume with the L-pad the amp's tone starts to have a little less bass - I think this is actually not the amp or L-pad, but the way the human ear responds to quieter sounds (Fletcher-Munson curves). It sounds a bit thin on its own, but actually sits better in the mix if you play with a backing track or a real bass player.

-Gnobuddy

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.