1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Stratocaster Club.

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Brad Pittiful, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

What shall I do?

So, I bought this AY ( Abigail Ybara) signed and dated set of Custom Shop '69 Stratocaster pickups. My idea was to possibly install them in my 1982 First-Year Reissue Fiesta Red Strat WITH MAPLE NECK which is a formidable sound machine but I have second thoughts.... maybe I should look for another Strat body/ neck instead.

Assuming I would want to preserve my cost (combination of guitar + pups) AND have an awesome sounding / playing guitar ( Fender OEM parts only) , what Strat model / color would be right one and why?

2. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Put em in the "1982 First-Year Reissue Fiesta Red Strat WITH MAPLE NECK" and play the frets off it!

If you don't like it, then find another but I suspect you'l like it.

3. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

Awasson, thanks.

So here are the numbers of the pickups.
    Currently in the Red Strat
    Neck : 6.53
    Middle : 6.59
    Bridge : 6.55

The '69 Set shows 5.8 for each of them on the box but they are really around 5.98 .

Thanks for the suggestion. I bet there are some more folks that will chime in.. I hope so.!

HarryR

IMG_3943.JPG IMG_3944.JPG IMG_3947.JPG IMG_3950.JPG

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    richey88 and awasson like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

071C1C29-D7C3-4ED5-8A3E-D78A46C76F59.jpeg

I just want to say how much I love my EJ!
    It’s pictured here with my other workhorses.
    I’ve been gigging with it more lately.
    I recently replaced the stock pickups with Kinman 1969 noiseless pickups.
    Much better, IMO!
    I did my bi-monthly R&B gig, and I (happily) used it all night.
    Love it!

Mr Scallywag and Bruxist like this.
  5. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Thanks for the tips!

I'm curious about this "loaded pick guard" business. What's the reason? Do I need to match all the electronics to the specific pickups?

Btw, the Texas specials are not stock, so I'm not worried about keeping them. Planning to sell them to subsidize the cost of what I want.

Considering CS69, Duncan antiquities, Duncan California, fat 50s. Lots of choices.

I also might put a cs69 in the neck, keep the ts in middle, and something like a fs1 or ssl5 in the bridge. Total hybrid set!

6. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

If you do use the SSL5, be aware that they sound great in a band setting, not always so good in isolation. I also use a 500k tone pot on the SSL5, 250k on the neck SSL 1 and the middle wide open. It helps retain more of the "quack" you lose with the SSL5 in position 2.

7. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

A "loaded pick guard" is the notion of buying a pick guard that has pickups and switches installed and connected on it. If you buy one like that you only need to solder two connections ( earth and jack). Lots of people make a decision between 250/500/1k pots, and 3-4-5 way switch. The soldering gets pretty involved but you ALSO can take a complete loaded pick up and swap it out quickly because the pickup and the switches are located on the pick guard with a Stratocaster as an example.
    Personally, I would stick with a set of matched pickups as suggested by the OEM / factory. The folks that figure that out have a set of good ears and lots of equipment to make the best quacks, squeaks, howls and sounds we all love so much. I also do not like overwounds, I prefer underwound pickups because they have a more " subtle" sound, more bell-like and more transparent and that is the sound I go for any time. For me 5.8 to 6.2 kOhms seem to be the range that suits my playing.
    Once they are installed, the next thing is to even the volume out.. raising / lowering pickups to make the best overall... even sound. That takes more time than you think. Don't forget you can also raise one side of the pickup ( high strings only for instance). That's all part of the fun and games.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Axegrinder77 and awasson like this.
  8. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

People buy loaded pickguards because it is easier. You don't have to solder all of that up, or choose components. It is a faster path from store to guitar.

Axegrinder77 and brookdalebill like this.
  9. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Picked up a used Surf Green Classic 50’s Strat this week. I’ve never had one in one of the cool fifties colors. Now I do [emoji2]

The middle pickup was dead, but I had a set of 57/62’s laying around, so no big deal (and the dead pup lowered the price a little). Very comfortable neck; it’s a little smaller than I’m use to but totally useable. Good weight, trem stays in tune well, set up easily and plays great. Took it to a gig Saturday and had a ball playing it. May have to start a surf band lol....

[​IMG]

horax, awasson, Kontaktmoi and 2 others like this.
  10. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

Decision is made... I looked at many more videos and sound bites of the '69 PUPS in action and I believe that these pick-ups installed in my '82Vintage reissue will be a great combination as the maple neck will add some more " spunk" into the sound but still push the mid-range. There will never be a shortage of top and bottom clean playing through a Deluxe or Princeton. More to come.

awasson likes this.
  11. Axegrinder77

I just ordered a set of cs69's myself. :) I also have a maple neck, so i'm encouraged by your prognosis.

Looking forward to getting the texas specials out. With my luck, i'll probably realize I liked them! haha. Probably not.

awasson likes this.
  12. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

Haha! I am not alone. I always stayed clear of over-wounds I have found over and over again that you have way more sound control when you push the signal harder using some clean boost. I have a Mini Katana clean boost , a Boss Blues Driver BD-2 and a Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 in THAT particular order in my signal chain followed by a Ibanez DL10 Delay, then to the Vibrato channel of my Deluxe or Princeton.
    I use the Katana to boost the signal just a little bit, the same with the BD-2 and the TS9. So in effect I have several paths ready
    just by punching the pedals (one or more of them).
    Typically I seem to prefer the Katana to get more clean signal to the amp to get a little "hair" on the sound from the tubes that are being pushed this way on it's own OR the Katana + BD-2 to get a slightly overdriven sound. Mostly though, I like to play clean and ballsy. I only have Strats and Teles.
    Interestingly, I only found one other pickup that I really like and I have a few Teles with these installed. They are the RIO Grande Vintage Tallboy Neck / Bridge. I think they are pretty close to the NOCaster pickup sound and behavior... Quite low output, kristal-klear ( LOL ) with cohones! OK, back to Strats now...
    Happy 4th of July!

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  13. Axegrinder77

Funny.. I have a tele with nocasters on it. great guitar! My setup is kinda similar. I use an EM Drive for light push, and an OD808 for real drive. If if want to get really nasty I kick on my big muff. Lately though, I've been pretty happy with just amp tone. I find even a little compression muddies up the signal a bit with my 68 custom Princeton. Then again, i'm doing mostly rhythm and chords for my vocals. It's always a challenge to get grind without muddying up the middle freq's where vocals sit. A BD2 can be useful for that, but I found it a bit harsh. Yes, tone snob here ;)

14. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

That's why are paying all that money, to have equipment that reproduces the sounds we hear in our heads. I have a yr 2000 NoCaster... there is just something about these NOcasters with their huge necks that makes them sing!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  15. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

I just built a partscaster from a GFX body and an extra baritone conversion neck I had laying around. You know I love my baritones!

Granted, the finish in the ultra light pawlonia body is awful, but it is just as advertised in their website. The bridge is a wilkinson vintage spec, with a huge block, so it sustains quite nice, it ir a resonant guitar, and plays great even with unexpensive ceramic pickups, also from guitarfetish (I bought the pre assembled pickguard). The pots and switch are probably the most low quality parts in this guitar. Changing them will improve the overall quality a few notches.... buy hey, I paid less than $30 for the body. Quite happy with the result, and a fun afternoon putting all together.

Attached Files:

Fretting out and awasson like this.
  16. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I just found this strat club so figured I’d join in ! Here’s mine
    A 2014 65 avri and a 94 pink paisley with their tele siblings of course;)

52893AF5-ADC8-40FC-8A3C-35BD219672E6.jpeg 677471F6-B5E8-473D-9705-459040CE60D0.jpeg

17. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

So, I got my Strat back with the '69s AY installed.
    First of all, the difference is HUGE, they are not louder but have be different sound altogether. The bass in more clear, the mids are expanded ie, you hear more variation and detail in the frequency band that matters for a guitarist who tries to play notes that can be identified as notes and not as a shreek of distorted sound, and the highs are less shrill (ice picky). There is a bell-like component to the overall sound with full tone settings and a sound that gets a few little hair with full volume on the guitar but does not lose the clarity. So far I have done all the listening through a LTD edition Fender Deluxe without and with a Drive pedal ( BD-2 Boss or Katana Clean Boost)

In general , I like it a lot and it is a keeper for sure. More sound testing to do and some comparisons with other CS Strats. But one initial observation... my big neck CS Stratocasters have even more growl and sustain and a deeper general tone when amplified I think..

awasson likes this.
  18. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Still have the OT Std in the quoted post, but have upgraded the original ceramic pickups to Tex-Mex set from a road worn i have. Huge improvement. In fact, that's the guitar that I blame for my recent case(s) of Stratotitus.

Since then, two new (old) RWs have entered the picture. Big fan of the road worn series, below is my '08 60s OW and 50s Blackie (with 50s classic series neck). Necks got swapped, the 60s got pickup upgrades with cs'54 in bridge, pv'59 middle & pv65 in neck position. Best sounding Stratocaster I've ever had pleasure to play. Through my CVR, pure tonal paradise. For me anyway...

[​IMG]

19. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

Just got this bad boy yesterday...REALLY digging the Tonerider pickups and color!
    VERY impressed with this one...it's a Squier CV, but it's strat all the way:

close_up.jpeg front_bottom.jpeg front_top.jpeg

20. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

The one in the background is a 2000 Korean Bullet hard tail that is in the middle of being modified.
    I got it for my son who just turned 9. It was originally a beautiful fiesta red, but now it's red sparkle....I am not done with the wet-sand/polish yet, so here it is prior to the changes:

IMG_3503.JPG IMG_3504.JPG

Verne Bunsen likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.