1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Stratocaster Club.

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Brad Pittiful, Jun 17, 2009.

1. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I still come back to this one. It’s one of my favourites. I was up at about 5am this morning and had to search for this one again. I’d like to do one like this. The whole aesthetic appeals to me.

richiek65 and DHart like this.
  2. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Thanks, awasson. Here it is at another angle.

[​IMG]

I have to say that Mystic Red is my very favorite Fender color because it is so deep and rich, and mysterious... like blood. It was Beachbum who posted a Strat with this color combination that struck me as amazing, so I was inspired by his Strat.

I also set up an American Standard Mystic Red Tele with the same color combinations. This one with a PAF Master at the neck position, Fat Lion bridge pickup, and Les Paul-style toggle selector switch. This edition of the American Standard Tele has the contoured back, like a Strat.

[​IMG]

I set up a Tele Blacktop with a pair of Gibson '57 Classic pickups and premium electronics. This one in Candy Apple Red, which does not have the deep, dark, rich color of the Mystic Red. Candy Apple Red is lighter and brighter, and without the metal-flake that Mystic Red has. Candy Apple Red is much easier to find, but I prefer Mystic Red.

This Blacktop was my first "Tele" style guitar and with the upgrade to Gibson '57s and premium electronics, it has turned out to be an outstanding guitar that plays and sounds fantastic! I did swap the magnets in the pickups from A2 to A5, and went with 500k volume and a No-Load tone pot to "open up" the high-end "sparkle" of the humbuckers. Great clarity and clean, clear, bright tones from these Gibson '57s now - it sounds quite like a Tele, but with a bit more fullness. The back of the Blacktop body is contoured like the back of a Strat, which I love!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    bumnote, Deathray, cooltouch and 2 others like this.
  3. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

Geez, those are pretty guitars. I especially like the way the black pickguard contrasts so well with the red. I have an American Standard Strat that I bought new back in 1996, same deep red color, but mine has a white pickguard. It's a very pretty guitar, but I'll admit, it doesn't look as cool as yours does.

Okay, I have a question for the Strato-Masters here -- about pickups. I have a Strat-style Squire, in HSS configuration. I actually like the sound of the humbucker, and I find that I never use the middle pickup on a Strat, but I make heavy use of the neck pickup. To me, the quintessential Strat sound is that found on the neck pickup. But the neck pickup in my Squire is just okay. Nothing special. It doesn't deliver that deep presence that one expects out of the neck position Strat pickup. So I want to replace it. But with what? I listened to a demo of the Seymour Duncan SSL-52 neck pickup and I gotta say that that is the sound I'm after. But I'm curious if any of you might recommend another one that will deliver sound quality equal to or superior to the sound of the SSL-52.

Here's the Seymour Duncan YouTube video where the SSL-52 is being demonstrated:

Mincer likes this.
  4. DHart

Michael... those SSL-52s sound pretty good distorted/over-driven. If that's your sound, I'm sure they will serve you well! They probably sound pretty good clean, too. Most decent quality Strat pickups will do that, given the right chain of tone modifiers/amplification.

That said... for about $145 you can buy a set of Made in the USA, Fender Custom Shop Fat '50s or Fender Custom Shop '69s on eBay and I'm pretty damn sure you would never regret that purchase for ANY Strat.

As I'm sure you know... Fender "wrote the book" on Strat tone. Plain and simple. And Fender has it DOWN! Why not go with THE original?

Among my Strats and Teles I have TWO sets of Fender CS Fat'50s, a set of Fender CS '69s, and a set of original mid-seventies vintage Fender Strat pickups (they didn't have a "boutique name" back then... they were just "Fender Strat pickups" and they still sound amazing today!) if that tells you anything. They are awesome.

There are a lot of Strat-formula pickups out there, from a ton of different makers, and I think most of them probably sound pretty damn good. Some are "hotter", which most Strat players will tell you are not so desirable - but for some players, the hot Strat pickups get their tone. Generally speaking, I think that most Strat guys would recommend low-output pickups to get that classic Stratocaster tone.

I just like to go with the original maker, Fender, since they sound so great, they don't cost "boutique" prices, and Fender-made Strat pickups will always be a widely-respected, highly-valued, well-appreciated, well-"known", and marketable product in re-sale - should you ever wish to re-sell. Unlikely, however, that you would be displeased with the pickups and want to sell them. But if you ever decided to sell the guitar, having Fender Custom Shop pickups in it will only HELP the sale of the guitar.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

It's not really about "better" just different. Some people want a very soft Alnico 2 underwound sound and others want a bright, glassy and higher output Alinico 5 sound, or something in between. It's hard to go wrong with Duncan pickups, but I don't think there is a "best choice" out there, just lots of great choices.

6. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

The Five Twos are among my favorite strat pickups.

7. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

Mincer, I can see why the Five Twos are among your favorites. I find the tone that fellow in the video is getting is simply sensational. Tfarny, I think I prefer the Alnico 5 sound. I really like it when that quintessential Strat sound is exaggerated, if anything.

A separate story: back in about 1981, I had a friend of mine, who was a pretty fair guitar tech, put together a Strat for me, using Boogie Bodies components. For pickups, we selected some Duncans back then that were called "Hot Stacks" (not sure about the spelling, might have been with an "x"). They were stacked humbuckers with thin metal strips on top instead of the round pole pieces. The guitar was a blood red color and those Hot Stacks were a deep red, almost burgundy color, so they worked well with the guitar, appearance wise. But the sound! They sounded sensational! I called that guitar my Super Strat, because, to me, that's what it was. Sadly, I sold the guitar several years later because I wasn't playing it anymore. Dumb mistake. I really miss that guitar and the sounds I was able to get out of it.

So I find myself chasing that sound to some extent.

DHart, I agree with much of what you wrote, but my only comment would be -- don't underestimate the fanaticism of a true fan. Duncan went to extraordinary lengths to duplicate some of the pickups he produced. Like the '59 PAFs I have in another guitar that this same guitar tech friend of mine installed about the same time frame -- 1981 or so. I wouldn't trade those old Duncans for anything. I don't recall what Duncan called those pickups back then -- just '59 PAFs, I think.

But anyway, I agree with you, DHart, about the quality of Fender pickups. You recommend I buy a set. But I don't need a set. I just really need the neck pickup. So, once again, I find myself turning to eBay for the somewhat uncommon request, and I found several Strat neck singles to choose from. A couple of Custom Shop ones, even. So, the way things sit now, I'm thinking I can go with a Five Two or a real Fender pickup, like one of the Custom Shop models. There's also a Tex Mex Strat pickup over there. I don't know enough about the sound of Tex Mex Strats though to know if I want it. Maybe I'll look for a YouTube video.

8. problem-child

problem-child TDPRI Member

Doing my part...

IMG_0707.jpg IMG_0709.jpg IMG_0712.jpg IMG_0689.jpg image1.jpg scallops.jpg

awasson and DHart like this.
  9. DHart

awasson and problem-child like this.
  10. DHart

Yes, if you just need a single pickup, I'd consider a used one on eBay or Reverb for sure - and the price should be low enough to mitigate most of the risk.

Among Fender's brand of Strat pickups, while some people love the Texas Specials, many seem to not like them. You will probably be safer choosing CS '69s or CS Fat '50s - IF it's the classic Strat tone that you seek.

I'm sure that some of the Duncan Strat pickups can hang right in there with the Fenders, I just have no direct experience with their Strat pickups - and, I think I'm just more mentally comfortable, when it comes to choosing Strat pickups, to go with Fender.

11. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

IMG_0972.JPG IMG_0971.JPG IMG_0981.JPG IMG_0983.JPG Finally done... Here is my Custom Built Caster guitar. 100 year old PINE body, Fender hardware and 1994 Fender Start Pickups from a Wayne's world Stratocaster.

Deathray, brookdalebill and awasson like this.
  12. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

A few more pictures with some context

IMG_0976.JPG IMG_0975.JPG IMG_0978.JPG STratwithbinding.jpg IMG_0984.JPG

13. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

Mine is a 1982 'The Strat'.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deathray, brookdalebill and awasson like this.
  14. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Love this ^^^^ had a black and silver “Strat” very cool. Mine weighed a ton...

15. awasson

This just happened!

46651DF1-7ED4-4612-968D-93222B553CD2.jpeg F23519F0-486F-4830-B5FB-69A5875CF6FA.jpeg

It has wicked cool flame but it’s subtle and I don’t know if it shows up. It’s got a beautiful neck! One of my other Strats has a 12” radius but this is different. So fast, so smooth. It’s going to ruin me for other guitars.

Attached Files:

brookdalebill likes this.
  16. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

06-313406500-1211_4.jpg as.jpg DSCN0621.JPG DSCN0675.JPG DSCN0687.JPG DSCN0692.JPG 674323.jpg 250282032478-1.jpg Here's my Orange Squier Affinity, Deluxe Roadhouse, Fernandes LE2, Squier Classic Vibe 60's, American Pro, Player Series, Jimi Hendrix, and CP 60's Strats.

17. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

That is the Eric Johnson model.. yes it is really good!!

awasson likes this.
  18. awasson

Yes it is... I’m still shocked at how good it truly is. Every time I pick it up I learn something about it.

Kontaktmoi likes this.
  19. Ippon

Ippon Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brookdalebill and perttime like this.
  20. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.