The Strat that started it all for me. Which one made you a Strat Man?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Platefire, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

This is a poor picture, bad lighting, bad background and poor focus but it's the only one I got. This is not my first stat but is my first good strat. A 1965 I picked up used for $200.00 in 1976 from my guitar tech at the time. This guitar just felt, played and sounded great from the git go. All I had to do is play it. I had some great experiences with this guitar. I didn't know it then but I do now, this guitar turned me into a Stratocaster Man. I played it from 1976 to 1994 when I sold it to a collector for $875.00 because I needed the money for a down payment on a new vehicle.

I don't know what its previous history was but it was all original and it great shape when I bought it other than a little belt buckle rash on the back. Sometime in the late 70's I forgot and left it in my car trunk in hot Louisiana summer time for several days, when I remembered and retrieved it, the pick-guard was cracked badly. Replaced it with a used 25 year silver anniversary guard that was white with gray along the edges. In the 80's the middle pickup went out and I replaced it with a Seymore Duncan Vintage Strat pu. It matched the other original PU's perfectly. I also replace the original three way switch with a 5 way about that time. I had to replace a couple of the bridge saddles with more modern solid ones. Also as you can see in the picture, got a tele vol knob. I did save the old parts so they could be re-installed if need be. The collector that bought it from me said it went to Japan.

You get a good strat and it's earthshaking! Glad I accidentally on purpose laid hands on one that was set up and ready to go. That strat taught me a lot! Platefire
    65 Strat.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  2. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

'66 Strat bought in '69 for $150 with my Kent as a trade-in. Only the tuning keys and the trem cover have been replaced. I still have the original trem cover, but it's cracked around all the screw holes.

image3.jpeg
    upload_2019-1-14_20-18-47.jpeg

Notice the bedroom practice amp. ;)

3. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

Wasn't mine, but when I was a kid this Strat made me want one.

2 months ago I bought one. (well one exactly like it)
    [​IMG]

Mr. Neutron, Wilvis, Mike SS and 6 others like this.
  4. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Older guy (probably 19 or 20 lol) had a white '75 or so when I was in high school, in the late '70's. Played it through a SFDR in local bands. I never played it, just liked the look. Best one I ever had was a low end MIJ Squier, paid $100 in a hospital thrift shop, foolishly sold it after getting something "better".

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  5. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

Yeah, I sold mine to a friend for $200 after only owning it for two years. But the friend sold it back to me 8 years later for $250 and I've had it ever since.

thegeezer likes this.
  6. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I have only owned one Strat, and (if I know me) it'll be my one lifelong Stratocaster companion.

Teles seem to come and go, but (considering that I never really liked Strats, especially the ones with the large 1970's-style head stock) this one is a strange love affair for me.

But I do love it, and can always count on it to stay in tune and to deliver quality tones on stage.

The photo below is from Sweetwater.
    They shipped and delivered this self-same excellent guitar.

It's weirdly-gorgeous.
    :)

US17019226-front-large.jpg

Mr. Neutron, Wilvis, beninma and 8 others like this.
  7. BryanLB

BryanLB Tele-Meister

Got a MIJ Strat when I was 16. Dude ripped me off saying it was an American, I payed $700 for it. Still play the guitar daily, I am 41 currently, love the guitar. Worth every penny.

IMG_0185.JPG

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My first Strat was a 63 or 64 L plate sunburst I got in 1972 for $250.
    I had it for a coupla years, and played it through a 1969 100 Marshall Plexi and a Fender 2-12 cabinet.
    Wish I’d kept it.
    I went through 2 more pre-CBS Strats before graduating high school.
    I got two Oly white Strats, a 62 refin hardtail with a tortoise guard, and a clean stock 1962 with a mint green guard.
    Didn’t keep those either.

thegeezer and moosie like this.
  9. Platefire

Yelp, I'm an ol Jimi fan. That is why I got this:
    Squier Deluxe Stratocaster 020.jpg

10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My first guitar was a MIM Strat. It wasn't the ONE that did it for me, but for a whole year of playing at least 6 hours every day, 7 days a week, it was all I knew. So I can't say it had no effect.

The real deal for me has been TWO CS Strats, one a 57 reissue, and one a 63. Bought them new, two weeks apart. The shop was blowing them out for peanuts, about the price of a MIA Standard, because they had given up or lost their Fender dealership just the month before. I'd been trying to decide which one to order, and got the 63. It was my first CS guitar, and it was everything I'd hoped and more. Still is. I liked it so much, I thought man... if I'm EVER going to want another, now's the time. I felt very decadent, but I've never regretted the decision to double up. The guitars have very different personalities, and I love both. If forced to choose - like in a house fire - I'd take the 63. I guess I tend to always like the 60s Fenders a bit more than the 50s. In fact, if I could go back in time and visit Fender, I'd do it in the early 60s. The Blackface sound was coming together, the Jag and JM were out, the Strat and Tele pickups were sweeter sounding than they had been eight years before.

Greggorios likes this.
  11. Platefire

Well as the OP. This is my #1 now. A 1997 CIJ 50's reissue. Got the Sperzel locking graduated tuners,
    Buzz Featon Tuning mod, DynaGuide String tree and Texas Special Pickups. Set up for floating trem.
    This strat plays like a dream and stays in tune, yeah! Platefire
    Bob's Stratocaster 002.jpg

12. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

veteran.jpg This is "The Veteran" my first strat, she's a 1989 made in Korea model of which I replaced EVERYTHING except the body. Bought it new on my 15'th birthday in 1991. It was the only red one they had in the shop, the other two options were either black or white.
    Played many shows on her and used her for a lot of recordings I did, these days she's retired.

These days I'm playing a trio of strats
    - The Rookie, which I built as a copy of the Veteran but I changed so much that it isn't a copy anymore.
    - Debby, a 2002 Natural MiM seventies reissue, which has just the most divine feeling neck, playing her is so effortlessly.
    - Donna, a 1997 Squier affinity Strat with a Vincent van Gogh paintjob, I bought for 44 Euros. I replaced the neck with a hand made one with a mother of pearl tree of life inlay.

The reason why I went for a red one?

This guy!
    [​IMG]
    I still can't play like does 8)

13. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

Mine is a 1982 'The Strat' model in a rare sapphire blue. I still have it, and it is stock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mike SS, Fiesta Red, Gene O. and 4 others like this.
  14. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Strat's that I still have and will have to be pried from my cold dead hands,,, hold my beer,, are my 96' and 97' blonde Pro Tone Squire's. Love those two hotties, and they never give ask for credit cards or the keys to my truck!!
    What's not to like:)

Mr. Neutron and Omiewise65 like this.
  15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

My '63 Strat bought in the mid-80's. The previous owner had really done a number on it during his tone quest. He stripping off all the finish, replaced the entire pickguard with a Schecter F500T pickguard unit, replaced the original tuners and saddles and even drilled a hole in the headstock apparently to make it more balanced. Well, at least I was able to buy it for not that much. I don't play it much now though.

[​IMG]

However, in recent years I've moved away from Strat-oids and been more into various offset and sorta offsets and Teles.

16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My apologies, I completely forgot pictures!

full case (1).JPG

in case.jpg

Shuster, Tommy Biggs, Mike SS and 7 others like this.
  17. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can’t say I love playing them - but I love me some Strat players: Jimi, SRV, Robert Cray!
    Jimi started it all for me.

Mr. Neutron and Fiesta Red like this.
  18. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

My '79 Antigua started it all for me when my dad took me to a guitar shop to buy my 1st "REAL" electric guitar.

I own 13 Fender Strat guitars.

I still have it and it will NEVER be sold.

It and all the other guitars in my collection will be passed on to my guitar playing son.

[​IMG]

19. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

My first was a '65 CAR that I bought used in about '72 (don't ask what happened to it), and it's been almost nothing but Strats (and a few Teles) ever since. I currently have an American Pro with rosewood board in CAR, a CP 60s in Sonic Blue, a Deluxe Roadhouse with Texas Specials in Sonic Blue, A Player Series in Sonic Red, A Squier CV 60s in 3TSB, a Jimi Hendrix model in Black, and a MIJ Fernandes LE2 in Black. Only the Hendrix and the Fernandes are Maple neck, all the rest are rosewood.

20. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jimi Hendrix was one of the reasons I “liked” Strats. I also knew two guys in high school who played Strats and man, they could both play. The black 1994 MIM Squier Series Strat is what made me realize I was a Strat guy. It’s not my first Strat but it’s the one that changed everything.

I bought it a few years ago for $250. It’s got new tuners, bridge, pickups and electronics but it’s the neck and the deep body contours that sold me. I’ve got a couple of other Strats but this one still impresses me. It sounds great and it plays great. Love it!

8922C404-7F0F-46F5-9D28-F40A6668BFC3.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.