The Stones Are Still Great, But…

Robert H.

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Martha Reeves backstage tonight
upload_2021-11-15_20-5-46.jpg

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
I lived in Virginia Beach in the early 80's. I can remember a bunch of buddies scraping their pennies together to go see what was supposed to be on of the last Stones concerts ever in 1981? at Hampton Roads. Ha, that was what, 40 years ago. The Stones have always been energetic and Keith is probably one of my favorite guitarists, but they could have stopped making music 20 years ago and left a better legacy in my opinion.

"A Bigger Bang," which came out 15 years ago, is very good, So, IMHO, is their 2012 single "Doom and Gloom." I've also grown to like their 2020 single "Living in a Ghost Town."

Last edited:

loudboy

Tele-Holic
I don't know what happened... but I was surprised to see on the (actual) set list that was recently posted that they list the key of the songs. On songs they've been playing for 50 years. Like it changes with enough frequency that they need to know what key.

My only conclusion was that they actually change the keys of the songs moderately frequently. So perhaps Keef was uninformed as to which key it was, or forgot, or forgot and swapped part way though. Not like I never made a mistake like that. Nope. Never.

On the "Liver Than You'll Ever Be" bootleg of the '69 MSG concert, Keef plays the Live With Me riff a half measure off, for most of the song.

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
That's really weird that he played the whole solo out of key and he didn't notice? How do you do that? I mean hand off to Ronnie if you're confused, or let Chuck Leavell take a turn. Don't just plow on. He was playing the whole song in the wrong key, probably, but didnt notice? Not a good sign

EZMFE

Tele-Meister
I remember all the jokes around the Steel Wheel(chairs) tour. How long ago was that?

In all honesty, I didn’t spend the money to see them then, and I won’t now. If I spend money on a live band, it’s one that’s young and hungry. Mick don’t need my pocket change.

Part of it for me isn't just about the Stones -- who are one of my favorite bands but you could not pay me to go see them at this point -- it's as much about the venues they play as anything. I go to see maybe two NFL games a year, handful of baseball games, couple hockey games. But I hate the hassles involved -- the packed house, parking, long lines for over-priced concessions etc. I'll occasionally tolerate that for a sporting event. But if I'm going for some live rock 'n roll, I prefer it from a young upstart band who played Wichita last night. And at a small locally-owned venue where it costs $10 to enter, there's good reasonably priced beer, and I can duck outside and cool off if I've been dancing or whatever.

Kudos to the Stones for keeping it going all these decades, just doesn't appeal to me.

Red Ryder

Tele-Holic
In my youth I was a big Stones fan. Then they did Angie and Wild Horses, my only thought was "where are the rock and roll police when you need them ".

joealso

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I lived in Virginia Beach in the early 80's. I can remember a bunch of buddies scraping their pennies together to go see what was supposed to be on of the last Stones concerts ever in 1981? at Hampton Roads. Ha, that was what, 40 years ago. The Stones have always been energetic and Keith is probably one of my favorite guitarists, but they could have stopped making music 20 years ago and left a better legacy in my opinion.

There were actually 2 shows, back to back, at the Hampton Coliseum. I was at the first one. Thorogood opened up and the crowd demanded an encore. The 2nd night was Keith's birthday. That was my first time seeing the Stones. Their first "last" tour, as it was hyped.

Jensen

Tele-Meister
That's really weird that he played the whole solo out of key and he didn't notice? How do you do that? I mean hand off to Ronnie if you're confused, or let Chuck Leavell take a turn. Don't just plow on. He was playing the whole song in the wrong key, probably, but didnt notice? Not a good sign

That's what I was wondering too. I make errors when playing but then adjust or improvise my way out. To just go on for so long when it is obviously bad sounding is really strange. What did he hear in his own ears or mind?

Elmore

Tele-Holic
I saw this in Atlanta on 11/11/2021, five days prior to this post. This was the opener. Great show! Exceeded expectations.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve seen three stadium shows in the last six years. Never thought I’d get the chance to see them in a small (ish) venue. But here I go one week from today. I splurged for floor tix at Hard Rock Live in Hollywood Florida.

EEC36BEE-5137-4C13-9283-7CD728B33C51.jpeg

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
A young couple were desperately trying to have a child. They tried everything, wive's tales, doctors, everything. Then, one day a miracle happens and she is with child. They are so excited, making plans, putting together a nursery, and everything goes swimmingly. Then, the big day arrives, and she gives birth to a horribly disfigured child, basically just a head.

They decide that regardless of what the child looked like, they would love & cherish him, so they decided to name him Head.

Head's 21st birthday rolls around and dad decides he wants to take Head out for a drink to celebrate. They get to the bar and dad orders 2 shots & 2 beers. He pours the shot & beer down Head's throat and POOF, Head turns into the perfect model of humanity, a perfectly proportioned, handsome man. Dad can't believe his eyes! So, they celebrate with another shot & beer. Head downs the shot and collapses onto the floor and dies.
The moral of the story: Quit while you're a head...

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
There were actually 2 shows, back to back, at the Hampton Coliseum. I was at the first one. Thorogood opened up and the crowd demanded an encore. The 2nd night was Keith's birthday. That was my first time seeing the Stones. Their first "last" tour, as it was hyped.

I imagine you've seen the live video from the Keith birthday show. (Beware of the naked girl at the beginning of the video.)

I saw this in Atlanta on 11/11/2021, five days prior to this post. This was the opener. Great show! Exceeded expectations.

When I saw them in Los Angeles on 10/17, I was on the verge of tears for the first few songs, they were so good. (I only cry with happy/inspiring/triumphant things.)

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I think this looks like their last go round. I’ve been watching the clips of their tour and I think Keith is running out of gas. Maybe it’s the weight of Charlie’s death hanging over him. Or maybe just age catching the ageless magician. But Keith is not the same guy who wowed Havana a few years ago. Jagger’s going to have hook up with McCartney for a Nostalgia Cover Band Tour.

They'll want to include Daltrey and be the Mutual Insults Trio

Long live the Stones! Last 1960s rock (& roll) band standing, no?

Hmmmm ... maybe CSNY? (who granted are currently 'sitting' not standing but who knows, at least they're all still kicking ...)

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
They'll want to include Daltrey and be the Mutual Insults Trio

Hmmmm ... maybe CSNY? (who granted are currently 'sitting' not standing but who knows, at least they're all still kicking ...)

Standing or sitting, those guys can’t seem to get along with each other ling enough to do a tour.
DC and Neil seem to still get out and perform music, but I doubt the full quartet will ever stand on a stage together.
Too bad, IMO.