The stigma of yoga

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
"Well documented" was your claim. Documents=written records.

Earliest written references are much more recent than that. "Millions of forms".

Fruitless.
Yoga was written about in texts 5000 years ago. That’s called documentation. My reference to millions of forms is simply the idea that just like no two human bodies are identical, no two yoga practices are identical.

HaWE

Tele-Meister
My wife wanted to make yoga and asked me if I would also like to try it out and come with her.So I decided to make yoga just because I was curious.I must admit for me it was not very relaxing. I tried to do what the (female) yoga- instructor wanted us to do (we were 2 men and about 10 women...) , but I had problems a) keeping my body/arms/legs/head/ in that "yoga - positions" (and the instructor always said to me : "...and don`t forget to breathe.." ) b) I couldn`t relax.When we were adviced to think of nothing I always thought about things I wanted to do AFTER the yoga-lesson was over ... for example cleaning my motor-bike, soldering a new guitar-pickup and so on ... for me it was impossible NOT to think of anything... c) the instructor had a dvd-player with some kind of strange "relax-music" playing .... hmmmmm ......
after the lessons everyone of the group talked about being tired and relaxed... I must admit I often couldn`t wait to drive home and begin with my whatever project....so I think I am no yoga-guy.... although I admire people who do it and get something good out of it...it sure is good for body AND soul if you are ready for it.

HaWE

Tele-Meister
Going to a couple of group classes helped me to realize that it's more effective for me to do it on my own.
Yes, maybe for me its better to do it in a situation were I can realy relax- maybe some day I`ll try it in our garden or out in the wood.Being outside and nature always has a positive impact on me.

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
Going to a couple of group classes helped me to realize that it's more effective for me to do it on my own.
Me as well. I was lucky enough to be gifted some free classes in the beginning. I am glad I did it because having some initial direction was very helpful. Are used to try to go to a class locally a couple times a year just so the instructor could check my form.
I haven’t gone in a few years now.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
My guess is I'm typical male here. My wife ran 7 mi today instead of any yoga (or weights), but I'm glad she chose yoga pants vs sweat pants for making lunch.

I'll do a few minutes of yoga before I go do work that will in essence be bad except for the income - a few hours of sit at a computer screen and move some boxes.

Mechanic

Friend of Leo's
My long hair covers my red neck. I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry compact loaded with flying ashtrays. Turned wrenches on trucks, buses light and heavy rail. Can fill in for step dons band as a rhythm player when the lead is a no sho.
Having had a liver transplant, my abbs are ruined on my right side and I’m not walking my usual 10-15 miles a day on the job. I’ve a need for some exercise. My body is quite screwed up. I’m looking into yoga classes to help my 70 year old body function. I do walk in our nearby park but when there’s snow on the ground it’s not inviting. There’s a couple of local yoga classes around our town I’m looking into.
No stigma here.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My long hair covers my red neck. I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry compact loaded with flying ashtrays. Turned wrenches on trucks, buses light and heavy rail. Can fill in for step dons band as a rhythm player when the lead is a no sho.
Having had a liver transplant, my abbs are ruined on my right side and I’m not walking my usual 10-15 miles a day on the job. I’ve a need for some exercise. My body is quite screwed up. I’m looking into yoga classes to help my 70 year old body function. I do walk in our nearby park but when there’s snow on the ground it’s not inviting. There’s a couple of local yoga classes around our town I’m looking into.
No stigma here.
I have a friend who teaches a newer form that's for busted up and older/ frail folks.
(She may teach several forms and is in 12 step recovery so has a class that's oriented around that as well.)
Slower and uses bolsters or cushions as props to support body parts and positions that strain our damaged parts.
I'm not sure it has a style name and the teacher moved to Fla but I'm sure local teachers would be able to suggest classes suited for your situation.
Some classes are oriented around 30 regulars all moving from one to the next well practiced asana and a new guy would not keep up, never mind a busted up new guy.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
It's only a religious practice if you make it one. What I do with my body is physical. That it calms my mind is personal. Neither of those things are religious.
Yeah Yoga is sometimes made into a religious straw man like Darwin is viewed as a religious competitor/ threat.

What I got from my study including learning a bit of Sanskrit for the purpose of getting used to recurring concept words, was that Yoga is a Science.

Thousands of years ago, some practitioners AFAIK brought aspects (of Yoga) to what became religions.
Some scholars consider Om and Amen to be alternate pronunciations of the same basic word too, but I have no opinion on that idea.
The ancient civilizations where these scientific practices were created, are confusing to Westerners, and we may pull the usual all look the same response.
Also hilarious is the "New Age" label on ancient stuff that clarifies Westerners explanations

Yoga "masters" way back when, didn't go on crusades, didn't wage wars against other kinds of practitioners or those who preferred beliefs over science, didn't send posse's to furrin countries to convert others, didn't really amass huge fortunes, and near as I've learned didn't really even anoint masters with special powers other than- dude remembers a lotta stuff maybe we should ask him to write it down.

Last edited:

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Because it is a religious practice, yoga has as much place in a church as icons of christ have in a temple dedicated to shiva. The goal of real yoga is raising the serpent power through the chakras. Pretty much the core opposite of the church's mission which would be destroying the serpents power. Hence the stigma.
In order to make that statement you had to apply Western concepts to Sanskrit words denoting non physical principles translated into English words by Western scholars.

Mistaking conceptual ideas of one culture into another cultures selection of belief systems?
What is "The Serpent Power"?
Or, what is the opposite?
And yes, "mistaking" is a verb!

Westerners really don't have an equivalent for some of the Eastern concepts blended in with the communication tools we assume translate and have functionally equivalent meanings.
For that matter, some words are concepts while other words simply describe visual images.

Even really simple stuff like the power related to harmony, where living without harmony, clashing with and fighting everything, is a negative state, but the opposite state may be interpreted (by a westerner reading about it) as some sort of claimed supernatural power that cannot be seen or measured, so must be faith based and religious.
Sort of like saying improved aerodynamics and taking your foot off the brake is religion.

Also allow that the ideas (or claimants) behind calling Yoga a religion is related to the ideas behind denying science.

Of course if our Western talking point concepts are not based on these Eastern practices and the communication tools we "translated" from Sanskrit, there's no way I'm going to deliver anybody an Ah Hah moment.

I'm not an English scholar but what is the word for choosing a presumed similar word when there is no direct translation?
Interpretation?
Fabrication?

koen

Friend of Leo's
Maybe watch a couple of Queer Eye episodes before going to yoga class.