The stigma of yoga

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I have gone.. sadly only after being married. It's fine, but it's not all good either. The woo can be ridiculous.

If you work a desk job like I do getting cardio is important and there's not much of that going on at Yoga. And if you have been around serious sports training you'll know that there has been plenty of research in recent decades that has ended up uncovering that some traditional stretches are not beneficial... Yoga doesn't necessarily reflect a lot of that knowledge. A lot of stretching going on in other sports has the same problem. Plenty of teams are sitting there doing stretches before every practice that PTs will say "don't ever do that" and just destabilizing joints.

I do a ton of flexibility work similar to the amount of time if I was going to something like Yoga 3-4x a week but the stuff I do is tailored to what I've been taught by coaches & PTs based on my athletic history & injury history. If I just go to Yoga and do everything in a big group class I can do well but it will cause me injuries.. in a big class the instructor can't get to know everyone and be smart enough to know who shouldn't push exercises.
Yeah, yoga is good for some people, not all people. It's not especially great for sports unless you know what you're doing/trying to achieve. I'm sure others have differing opinions, but studio, for-real Pilates worked very well for me when I was distance running, and I haven't had back trouble in the ten years since I quit doing it; improved my core strength at a foundational level. Small classes (never more than 8), and I was the only guy in the class all but twice over a three year span of doing it. Only person under 55 most sessions.

In any case, "stigmas" exist in one's mind. Not very macho to be so concerned about others' arbitrary standards of masculinity that you walk with a limp. I didn't feel especially girly doing strength work every other morning and putting down 20+ miles on Sundays either.

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
For most of 2020 and 2021, I was going to yoga twice a week with different instructors. One instructor’s routines got my heart rate up and kept it there. The other was so much less cardio-intense that my Apple Watch would ask me if my session had ended, because my heart rate was slow.

I liked both approaches.

Last edited:

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
It's only a religious practice if you make it one. What I do with my body is physical. That it calms my mind is personal. Neither of those things are religious.
Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp
Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong
Who put the bop in the bop shoo bop shoo bop
Who put the dip in the dip da dip da dip

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have pains where there should be nothing but aches. I've been thinking for some time about trying yoga. This stigma business is giving me second thoughts.

I would get a gun or two, speaking of stigmas--I grew up around guns and enjoyed shooting them in my youth--but there are too many depressed, angry people with alcoholic tendencies in my family, myself included, for that to be a good idea.

Good thread. I think I'll go back and finish reading it.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Because it is a religious practice, yoga has as much place in a church as icons of christ have in a temple dedicated to shiva. The goal of real yoga is raising the serpent power through the chakras. Pretty much the core opposite of the church's mission which would be destroying the serpents power. Hence the stigma.
You speak of yoga as if there is only one yoga.

This seems to be a highly inaccurate statement, I think.

There are many more flavors of yoga than there are of the "church" of which you speak. This is not particularly surprising, as yoga has been around for a much longer time.

You statement as to the "goal" of Yoga also seems to be highly inaccurate also - or a blatant misrepresentation, made knowingly.

In this regard, your statements are the same as a serpent. Apparently, this is known as trolling.

I wrote other things, but then, wandered into the forbidden territory, in the same way your statements have.

Partial half-baked knowledge is of little value.

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
Big yoga fan here.. I've attended several hundred Hot Hatha classes the last 5 years, usually try to go 3 to 4 times a week. Huge help for my aching back.

Yes the classes are mostly women but starting to see more and more guys showing up.

Edit - the most challenging part of attending yoga sessions is trying not to look at all the very sweet ladies all around me in their super tight yoga outfits... don't look at the sun lol.
It's like the eclipse, don't stare at it, look fast, then turn away:)

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's

There are many more flavors of yoga than there are of the "church" of which you speak. This is not particularly surprising, as yoga has been around for a much longer time.

You statement as to the "goal" of Yoga also seems to be highly inaccurate also - or a blatant misrepresentation, made knowingly.

In this regard, your statements are the same as a serpent. Apparently, this is known as trolling.

I wrote other things, but then, wandered into the forbidden territory, in the same way your statements have.

I could not have put it better.

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic

So 30-40,000 different flavors of yoga?

Wandered into forbidden territory, because it is religious in nature.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Is it now acceptable for gun toting rednecks like us to admit that we do yoga?
Depends, Do you like avocado toast?
Does your man bun come undone during Yoga?
😂

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
So 30-40,000 different flavors of yoga?

Wandered into forbidden territory, because it is religious in nature.
There as many flavors of yoga as there is people who practice yoga. Given that it’s been practiced for over 5000 years. Well documented for 5000 years there’s a pretty good chance that there are literally millions upon millions of flavors of yoga.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Just be honest and say you do yoga. Nothing wrong with being a responsible gun owner and taking care of yourself. Yoga will keep you moving well into life better than any weight training will.

Fact: Lynn Swann, one of the best wide receivers (Steelers) of all time, attributed his success on the field to his ballet classes. No one eff'd with him about his ballet.
Hey Oregomike, just noticed you are from Hood River, my Daughter has owned Flow Yoga in Hood River for many years.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
You just have to not worry about what anyone thinks . That takes a real man as far as I’m concerned . Yoga is great for you. I should do it myself . You will be able to function into late life , while people who scoff at yoga will be hunched over

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
There as many flavors of yoga as there is people who practice yoga. Given that it’s been practiced for over 5000 years. Well documented for 5000 years there’s a pretty good chance that there are literally millions upon millions of flavors of yoga.
"Well documented for 5000 years."

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
It doesn't support your claims. Neither of the age you state nor of "millions of forms of yoga".

This thread has run it's course for me. Best.
I just googled how long has yoga been practiced. Supported my claim quite well.
513A583C-A9FE-429B-9114-F8E3D1F0B7F0.png