The stigma of yoga

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
Let's not forget Yoga is not just for white chicks in tights. It's part of an ancient religion and a way of life practiced by some very gnarly dudes who live in rebellion against worldly life. They're saints who smoke ganja all day. This doc Kings with Straw Mats is really mind blowing.

Smoking weed all day isn't rebellion against worldly life. It isn't saintly, it's just getting high.

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
So they notice you look good/move well, and ask how you do it- right?

I would think if you answer honestly, you might possibly change a mind or two, and start breaking down the stigma. If they’re asking, there’s a piece of them that’s open.

Namaste 😁
I agree. I always figured saying mobility instead of yoga was being honest though. As I don’t feel I practice an authentic yoga. I also incorporate many non-yoga stretches that I have learned from the CrossFit cult members I work with.

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
I agree. I always figured saying mobility instead of yoga was being honest though. As I don’t feel I practice an authentic yoga. I also incorporate many non-yoga stretches that I have learned from the CrossFit cult members I work with.
That is a good point. More than one way to get there. And I see that yoga is really loaded (especially as someone pointed out earlier, in largely Christian communities.) Its a turn-off for some.

I’ve actually been growing out of yoga and doing MovNat, GMB and other mobility work myself. So the way you put it “mobility exercise” is great. Accessible, and accurate.

Follow up: are you interested in sharing the benefits with others? Or are you more interested in a concise answer that shifts the conversation elsewhere?

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
I own many guns and usually carry. I do yoga, smoke weed, meditate, build and race motorcycles, play guitar, and hunt. I shop at Walmart, and Northface. I fish and I pick up litter.
I don't give a damn what anyone thinks about any of it. I don't try to fit any stereotype.

Funny thing is...
I dont have to agree 100% to agree 100%.

Or something like that. :cool:

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
I found yoga my mid-week relaxation when I worked. Often fell asleep during the meditation at end and was relaxed driving home.
BTW i do not carry aa gun ( only Police and certain others do here) and swim about 30+ km. ( 20 miles) a week.
No gun toting round here.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Didn’t some state try to ban yoga? Because it would, I dunno, indoctrinate people into Muslim culture, or some such BS?

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Didn’t some state try to ban yoga? Because it would, I dunno, indoctrinate people into Muslim culture, or some such BS?
In schools there was at least one, successfully; Alabama (shocking I know) in ‘93 citing Hinduism. Only just overturned (and still restricted). Hilarious.

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
Tell people you're doing Full Contact Yoga...or Gracie Yoga....or it's the yoga that the Green Berets and the Navy Seals do.....all pretty manly sounding yoga.
There’s DDP yoga. Former pro wrestler Diamond Dallas Page has a yoga program now.

beninma

Friend of Leo's
I have gone.. sadly only after being married. It's fine, but it's not all good either. The woo can be ridiculous.

If you work a desk job like I do getting cardio is important and there's not much of that going on at Yoga. And if you have been around serious sports training you'll know that there has been plenty of research in recent decades that has ended up uncovering that some traditional stretches are not beneficial... Yoga doesn't necessarily reflect a lot of that knowledge. A lot of stretching going on in other sports has the same problem. Plenty of teams are sitting there doing stretches before every practice that PTs will say "don't ever do that" and just destabilizing joints.

I do a ton of flexibility work similar to the amount of time if I was going to something like Yoga 3-4x a week but the stuff I do is tailored to what I've been taught by coaches & PTs based on my athletic history & injury history. If I just go to Yoga and do everything in a big group class I can do well but it will cause me injuries.. in a big class the instructor can't get to know everyone and be smart enough to know who shouldn't push exercises.

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
I believe it was a church group or something. They claim it’s a gateway drug to Hinduism.
Because it is a religious practice, yoga has as much place in a church as icons of christ have in a temple dedicated to shiva. The goal of real yoga is raising the serpent power through the chakras. Pretty much the core opposite of the church's mission which would be destroying the serpents power. Hence the stigma.