The stigma of yoga

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I'm in a lapse, right now, but I've done yoga for years and classes here in the Buffalo, NY area always had some men in them. It's good for me, including the stuff that's not widely known or perceived:

1. Teaches you to keep your balance, especially as you age. IMO it prevents some falls, and when you're really old a broken leg or pelvis can lead to decline and death.
2. Improves one's mental state. It can lead to better acceptance of reality and tolerance of stress.
3. Can absolutely kick your ass if you want to turn it into a workout.
4. Is adaptable to anyone's physical capabilities. There is no standard you need to meet or achieve.
5. Keeps you flexible and less prone to muscle and tendon injury as you age.

Do what you want to do. If you can't do it comfortably where you are, you're in the rong place.

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
This is what true strength and mobility looks like. One of the strongest men in the world, basically doing yoga warmups.

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
I tried yoga in a class that the gym offered but everyone else knew what to do so the instructor spent time with me. I didn't want to hold up their class anymore so got a DVD. It is still hard to try to watch it though so as I'm trying to figure out how to do it. Someone told me to try chair yoga where you can watch the video while I do it. It is easy to do and helps.

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
Have things changed with the stigma of yoga? Is it now acceptable for gun toting rednecks like us to admit that we do yoga?

You know, the whole world doesn't have to know everything you do. If you make it a point to tell others that you are doing yoga, or anything else for that matter, you should expect to hear a range of commentary. If you don't like hearing negative opinions, just keep things to yourself. Easy.

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
You know, the whole world doesn't have to know everything you do. If you make it a point to tell others that you are doing yoga, or anything else for that matter, you should expect to hear a range of commentary. If you don't like hearing negative opinions, just keep things to yourself. Easy.
Thought my post made it clear that I am asked. I would love to never share a thought that isn’t guitar related. Unfortunately 40% of my job is making nice with customers. Sometimes projects last a year and I communicate with customers multiple times daily. They share more than I care to hear about and question more than I care to share.
But… ultimately my relationships with customers is reflected in my pay.
I make damn good money working less than forty a week. So share I must.

Last edited:

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
How does the opportunity to insult someone for doing yoga come about?
"So I'm trying yoga for my health".
"Jackass."
Oh I’ve never been insulted. As I said I’m in great shape. It’s usually good natured ribbing. But it’s consistent enough over the last 17 years that I see a trend.

P-Nutz

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Ms. Nutz has taught yoga for years … so, yeah!

Plus, I’ve been kickboxing and studying martial arts for the last two decades, so, please, take my man card … please?!

Edited to add- I’m 60 but most think I’m in my 40s, so I guess we’ve got that going for us!

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
Ms. Nutz has taught yoga for years … so, yeah!

Plus, I’ve been kickboxing and studying martial arts for the last two decades, so, please, take my man card … please?!

Edited to add- I’m 60 but most think I’m in my 40s, so I guess we’ve got that going for us!
Respect