The Special Tiger

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by MM73, Mar 24, 2016.

1. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

I hadn't planned on starting #2 just yet, but I've come into a free day this coming Monday. Kids get on bus, wife goes to work, and I get to go into the garage for 8 hours of uninterrupted woodwork :)

Neck Blanks 24Mar2016.jpg
    One neck blank is flat sawn, the other is quarter sawn. Hopefully one will survive!

The plans for this one are still coming together, but this is what I've got so far. I'm a guitar newb in more ways than one, but I'm hoping this one will be a good blues-rock player.
    • Themed build - Detroit Tigers (kinda)
    • Fender Cabronita style
      • TV Jones humbuckers (considering Classic / Classic + and PowerTrons)
      • S1 switch (if I can find/make a knob that I like)
      • 3 way toggle
      • Short bridge for hardtail with individual saddles
      • String thru body
      • Reverse routed / no guard
      • Top binding
      • Alder body with opaque finish and special MM73 custom graphics
    • Single piece maple neck
      • Tusq nut, 1-11/16" width
      • fimo markers
      • Schaller locking tuners
      • Vintage heel adjust single action truss rod
      • Warmoth 6150 frets
      • 9.5 or 10" fret radius
      • Thick soft "V" profile
    Bear with me on the themed build. I think it can be tough to pull off a themed build with universal appeal, particularly when a sports club is the muse. I have some ideas that will hopefully keep it from looking like an MLB gift shop catalog was thrown at it.

A big goal of this build is to improve my process, upgrade jigs...do it all better than I did on the one before.

One other goal.
    Gotta have my own body and headstock shape.
    I copied a Fender on build number one, and don't want to copy a tele 100% again.
    I don't have a great feel for proportions and ergonomics, so I'm not going to deviate too much from what I know.
    Whatever I come up with, though, its going to be mine.

Here goes!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  2. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

If you really want the blues, then it should be a Lions-inspired build...

(And no, I'm not talking about the uniform color.)

esetter and MM73 like this.
  3. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Too funny!
    The Lions ran me out of NFL football years ago. Too many late Sunday afternoons realizing I just wasted the last day of my weekend!

4. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

I'm gathering parts to finish my current build, and was at the drawing board with a couple of guitar encyclopedias merging different aspects of guitars I like for a future build, when my 16 year old son offered a bit of sage advice that kept me from getting stuck in my own personal rabbit hole, so I'll offer it up to anyone going off script:

Make sure your maximum dimensions fit in the standard solid body guitar case, or you'll be building one of those as well!

MM73 likes this.
  5. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Ha! Very good advice!
    I was just thinking this as I was loading up my t-type for a jam at my friend's house last night!
    ...nobody but me would call it a jam!

My changes won't be too drastic. I'm going to keep the curve where it would rest over my knee, and also the profile that my forearm sits on...and the cutout for accessing the higher frets.
    ...and maybe I'm not really changing a dang thing o_O

I'll come up with something. Dang hard to come up with something original after seeing a lot of great stuff from folks here.
    Lately, every time I try to sketch something, I end up copying the latest shape from Barbrainy, Lbridenstine, or Ripthorn's current threads. I need to walk away from TDPRI for a week to clear my head!

HockeyPop98 likes this.
  6. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Roughing in a body shape. I've got a very basic CAD software package on my Mac, but I always lose something when trying to draw on a screen.

I traced my telecaster body print onto a clean sheet of paper. Kept the lines I wanted to keep, and reworked the others.

Shape 25Mar2016.jpg

This was actually a lot of fun to create. Its probably not original, but I did it with a clear mind; so it'll be original to me 'till somebody shows me otherwise.

I'll spend some time with the proportions, try to make sure its visually balanced.
    The angle on the horns matches the angle of a Fender style headstock with six in line tuners. I want to carry the horn design over to the headstock, but haven't sketched anything that looks like a winner yet - I can't get my hand to stop drawing a tele or strat shape.

The neck pocket looks ugly, though an installed neck will smooth it out a bit.

This is unchartered territory, feedback is welcome.

Please, be kind to me if you find someone already building this shape...I am trying hard for originality!

src9000 likes this.
  7. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Jaguar cases are a decent size. My doubleneck build will fit in one.

Theoretically.

8. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Coming up with something original has got to be the hardest part of guitar building, so I applaud your efforts.

With regards to this design, there's something about the lower bout that doesn't quite look right yet. I think it's because its asymmetrical but not offset (or maybe it is offset but I'm not seeing it because of the angle of the pic), or it could be something about the angle of the horns. They seem to be fighting the body. There just might be too much going on.

I'd try making both halves of the lower bout symmetrical. That might make things a bit more coherent.

9. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the input. You are right about the lower bout. I didn't want to wander far from the lines on the tele. But the horns did something that screws with the proportions, so I started down the path of offset.

I have never paid much attention to the Jazzmaster, but I think I'm going to study its shape (and some other offset designs). I like the balance on the Jazzmaster and particularly the Grosh Electrojet.

Jazzmaster.jpg Grosh Electrajet.jpg

If I'm going to have my own shape, I may have to accept that this will evolve over time.

I'll give another look to a symmetrical lower half - it works for the Strat.

HockeyPop98 likes this.
  10. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

So much for progress.
    • My son was sick, so I kept him home from school on my off day. We had a great day with Legos, but no wood work!
    • Another day, I had my new plunge router ready to cut a truss rod channel...and then found the stroke on it isn't enough to get proper depth. I am looking for a longer 1/4" spiral bit.
    • I am still trying to sketch out a satisfactory head stock shape, so have not done much but draw garbage.
    • Speaking of garbage, I don't much like this thread title. Was supposed to be a play on La Cabronita Especial, but translated to tie in my Tiger theme. It's a dud.
    On the brighter side, I'm relaxing in Florida and sketching headstock shapes while my family sleeps. Opportunities to just sit someplace beautiful and draw just don't happen often!

Attached Files:

Captain Nutslot and src9000 like this.
  11. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Routing the truss rod channels.
    Upgraded my tools (plunge router) and setup (edge guide). The edge guide follows the edge of the blank. I greased the bushing so it would slide easier within the MDF slot.
    Made a couple passes before plunging to ensure the template slot was aligned with the blanks edge.

Truss Rod Channel Setup 23Apr2016.jpg

Slots cut. Still not great where the cut starts, but I know most of this will get cleaned up when I shape the neck profile (and will be hidden when screwed to the body).

Truss Rod Route 23Apr2016.jpg

Gonna track the progress on two builds here.

#1: La Tiger Especial - As described in the first post, a Cabronita type
    I have a very basic headstock shape figured out for 6 in-line tuners, but have better ideas if I'm willing to try an angled back headstock with 3x3 tuners.

#2: The Jackcaster - This will be a high school graduation gift to my nephew, who graduates NEXT YEAR.
    I'll build this as a standard Tele shape as I use my Tiger build to develop my own design. I will tweak the headstock shape to keep myself honest.
    Jack plays hockey for his high school team. This will be a theme build based on his high school and jersey number, 28.
    Not sure on the guts for this one yet - will decide after I nail down what he likes to listen to, what might inspire him to learn to play.
    I am perfectly fine if its a keepsake only.

HockeyPop98 likes this.
  12. Tervo

Tervo Tele-Meister

Nice progress on these two!

Yeah, You never know, what is gonna happen to Your builds, are they really played, or are they just hanging on the wall. Someone asked me, when I started the first build, the reason for building it, because I can't play. Well, for me the thing is building, not playing. And the unpropable hope, that one day I can play, be it only the simplest chords!

13. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

That truss rod rout is so much easier on a router table, especially when the blank is a rectangle. You clamp down a fence, slowly drop it down and push it forward, stop, lift up blank. Adjust depth of bit and repeat as necessary.

DrASATele and HockeyPop98 like this.
  14. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

These truss rod channels are curved for the vintage one piece rod. I guess I could screw or tape my template onto the blank, and route as you described.

It just never crossed my mind. Or it snuck through my mind, under cloak of all the bad ideas.

Most folks carefully consider their options. My process is more like fishing...I just proceed with whatever idea I can wrangle into the boat.

15. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

In the past, on an occasional Gibson neck with the single rod, I've glued in little curved ramps at the bottom of the flat channel to provide the curve needed. It works. I just carefully sand the ramp to the line on the Ross. There are plenty of ways to do things, not just the common way you see everybody repeating. :)

JazzHands and DrASATele like this.
  16. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

My son's a hockey player as well, a forward - #29. Has skated since he was 2, began mini-mites at 3. AA travel from age 5 through 8th grade.

A Catholic school offered a huge break in tuition for him to play hockey and lacrosse (he's been a goalie since 3rd grade), but it would've involved driving him 40 minutes to school then back for 4 years, so he took off a year (his high school has no hockey, but they had a new club lacrosse team, becoming a school sport next year), and has had a blast playing in the 'beer' league, playing against adults.

As far as guitar, he picked it up in 4th grade at an after school program, they referred him to a pro jazz theory instructor through 6th grade, at which time we enrolled him through the School of Rock franchise.

It's been an awesome experience for him. The camaraderie between musicians is every bit as special as is between his sports teams. He's played in 4-6 tribute concerts a year (the next being an Aerosmith show in a couple of weeks), and he's been invited to play in July at Summerfest in Milwaukee, where he'll meet guitarists of several famous bands, and have the chance to get advice from them.

He also plays in his church's high school worship band (Christian Rock is his favorite genre, though he loves funk, jazz, R&B, Motown, etc...)

If there's a Sch. of Rock in your nephew's area, I highly advise it. It's been much better than private instruction.

I'm sure he'll treasure the guitar you're making for him, to me a personally crafted instrument is the best gift you can offer someone. Sounds like he has an awesome uncle!

P. S. - Thanks for (or I apologize for) the patience to allow myself a proud papa moment. I try to keep them to a minimum!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Screw ups are always the most interesting thread topics.

This one is pretty minor in the grand universe of guitar building (I think). I figured I would share, mostly to let everyone know I'm still trying to make time for these builds.

Checking.jpg

There is a lot going on in this picture, besides the checking at the heel.

• First, the router bit was set too high, and the collet of the router started to chew into my template.

After the tear outs I experienced on necks 1 & 2 last year, why was I routing?

• Because I don't have a bandsaw, of course.
    • I was pretty conservative when I cut the shape with the jigsaw, so I left a ton of material to remove.
    • I got impatient on the ROSS, and started to lean into it a bit - well, maybe a whole lot.
    • Its surprising this thing didn't ignite. I think the heat caused the checking, cause it wasn't there before I fired up the workshop yesterday.
    • So, I re-learned that one should periodically change the paper on their sander of choice. You can't force bad paper to work.
    At the bottom of the pic, you will see router collet damage on my blank (the same damage as seen on my template).
    This is from when I accidentally had the piece flipped when I started the router.
    Nothing was being cut. My bearing was rolling on the rough cut.
    Bearings need to roll on templates.

At this point, I walked away.
    I'll throw some CA at the checking, and will hope for the best.

I want to post something positive, though.

This is the flat headstock shape I came up with the Jack-caster.
    I am working on an angled back headstock shape for the Tiger Especial build, I'll show that later.

Headstock.jpg

I wanted to show this off on the shaped neck. That didn't work out for me.
    The template will need to suffice.
    Not sure why I didn't just make a whole neck template.

More to come, in painful, agonizingly slow increments.

fenderchamp and HockeyPop98 like this.
  18. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sometimes, progress is achieved in agonizingly small increments! But they're coming along. I like the headstock shape.

Old former Tigers fan, here, still got my Al Kaline glove, and last game I saw was at Briggs Stadium. (told you--OLD). " A column for every seat!" LOL. May come back to the Tigers, tho. Hard to be a Braves fan these days. They seem more of a badly-run business than a sports team, especially compared to the Bobby Cox era.

MM73 likes this.
  19. moose13

moose13 Tele-Holic

Congrats on starting a new build!

MM73 likes this.
  20. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted

Good luck on the builds. I like what you said about wrangling ideas into the boat. I think things through *then* change my mind on the fly. Then spend a lot of time wrangling. That way I get the best of both worlds. :)

fenderchamp, HockeyPop98 and MM73 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.