The sky is dark orange, inside my place it's black

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ASATKat, Sep 9, 2020.

1. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

Here in California's Inland Empire (between LA and Palm Springs, home to the gender reveal El Dorado fire), we've been alternating between grey and orange. It's grey today.

Digital Larry, PhredE and getbent like this.
  2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

Early this morning I saw a few stars in the sky. Now it's back to grey haze. Air Quality map shows about "186" here. Up in Bend OR where a good friend lives, it's about 450! I used to think that heading north would bring cooler temps and rain, eh?

PhredE likes this.
  3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It is a case of Fact being stranger than Fiction.
    Oregon is getting Hammered by Fire right now.
    I hope she is ok.

PhredE likes this.
  4. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I know we're all just foolin' around when we post in "which guitar would you rescue from a fire" threads, but somehow with the up-close realities around us, and looking at the cluster of lovely trees with the overgrown underbrush that hides my house from the road, I have to answer, none. There is lots of stuff in our house that we'd miss if it burned up, but it's all just stuff. People, dogs, food, water, and a suitcase for everyone, is all we'll take with us if we evacuate.

That nasty east wind switched out, so the threat is less immediate, but I'm going to focus a little effort on having the fifth-wheel packed, and maybe pointed out the driveway, ready to roll on short notice (turning around is a slow process for me). If I had last Wednesday back I'd have it hitched up, too. Coastal or not, this place is a tinderbox like the rest of the west.

Our daughter and family went back to Medford yesterday--the Level 2 evacuation warning has been lifted off their neighborhood--but I think they're going to come back here for a while, because of the smoke being worse in the Rogue Valley than it is here.

My sister lives in Portland, and my brother in Gardena. Things are nasty in both places, but both are safe for now. Best to everyone.

5. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

With the Chehalem fire Level 3 evacuations 5 miles from me this past week my mom told me I should be prepared and load my car with my guitars. I told her I don't have enough room in my Chevy Tahoe for all my guitars lol.

I didn't preload my guitars into the Tahoe because @P Thought is right. Although I must admit there is one guitar I would would thrown in the car before leaving.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    P Thought and PhredE like this.
  6. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Since all this has started I have this recurring dream
    download.jpeg

PhredE likes this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Thank you. She flew out to the East Coast yesterday and is staying at a friends' vacant airbnb nearby me. The evacuation zone hasn't moved in the direction of her home so far, but the air quality remains hazardous especially for an older person with asthma. And SO much of the area around where I grew up is burned to a cinder now. It's hard to contemplate.

These wildfires are usually something that happens in the backcountry. Here we are talking 30 miles from a major American city, out of control blazes.

PhredE and String Tree like this.
  8. edvard

edvard Friend of Leo's

Bremerton, WA. My backyard. Mid-day. That dot above the tree is the sun. The SUN.

IMG_20200912_132924.jpg

Insane.

PhredE, Digital Larry and String Tree like this.
  9. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Me, too, probably :oops:

PhredE and Tele1966 like this.
  10. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Some good news --
    2:01pm PST All Level 3 notices have been scaled back to Level 2 or 1 for the Chehalem fire.

And, there are a few towns in the Santiam area that have scaled back from Level 3 to 2.
    I am going to go try to find the official list for those following along.

Clackamas Co Emergency Mgmt doing live press conference -

2:15pm
    Canby, Oregon City, Gladstone, etc. moved from Level 2 > Level 1.

Curfew updated to only apply to Level 2 and Level 3 areas.

Sheriff Roberts talked about multi agency coordination and response, their all out efforts to protect evacuated folks' homes and property, and to encourage people to avoid the area for now. Noted over 300+ calls regarding suspicious behavior, persons in the evacuated areas.
    A few arrests of trespassers and looters have been noted.

The 2 big fires "Beachie Creek" fire and "Riverside" fires are considered 0% contained, but growth has slowed and they are enacting fire lines especially on the southern edge of the Beachie Creek fire.

Clack Fire Dept #1 spokesman just said Riverside fire is "priority number one" in terms of aligning resources and personnel.

A plea from Co. officials to conserve water / limit use.

Resources starting to arrive from outside. Noted that once with smoke begins to clear and give decent visibility, airborne efforts will scale up.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    P Thought, Stubee, Steerforth and 2 others like this.
  11. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

It does like they are about to really turn the Oregon fires back, once the rain provides enough vis for the planes to help out. Thank goodness. Don't know if things are due to improve in CA, though.

12. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

That was yesterday. This morning it was orange. Tonight I can see the stars.

13. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

It looks just like that where I am in Victoria, B.C. Yesterday and today have been very bad. It's blowing up from Washington. We are, of course, safe because it's only smoke....I'm grateful we have no fires and I wish the best for everyone in danger.

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.