The Serial Tone Killer

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by tubelectron, Aug 13, 2019.

1. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

I started the design of this project in December 2015 and - yes, it's never too late... :oops: - I am expecting to finish the building it before the end of the year 2019.o_O;)

Here are some details (not all ! :eek:) of the building...

From the trunk of my car...
    [​IMG]

To the cab build - in fact I built three at a time : I was launched...
    [​IMG]

Tolexing...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cabs ready, whith chassis inside (not drilled) :
    [​IMG]

I started with the biggest : The Serial Tone Killer... One of the smaller will be started ASAP.

Faceplates design and engraving :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chassis preparation - placement study, tracing, drilling :
    [​IMG]

Population and wiring :
    [​IMG]

Chassis in the cab :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The amp seems to work as it should, but I have still some hum problems to solve with the Reverb connections : I'll have to rewire it or even displace it... o_O I can't stand any hum ! :mad:

The footswitch is not done, but as soon as the amp itself is ready - I hope I won't front other bugs o_O - I'll build it ! :cool:

So Wait and See... ;)

-tbln

2. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Holy .@#$_$&+#@ !!!

Seasicksailor likes this.
  3. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Beauteous

4. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Now I want to move to France.:)
    Nice work!

5. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

"OPERATE"...love it.

6. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Thank you Guys ! ;)

More infos tomorrow... Let's go sleeping ! :D

-tbln

7. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Internals look great!

FYI -- I had a loaned Holy grail for a few years and could NEVER get it to not hum. We have 240v AC here so hum is not something we get usually at all...

Research at the time indicated hum from those pedals was quite common.

8. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Yes, thanks, @Mad Kiwi ;)... Well, conversely I integrated EHX HGN in several of my amps :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

... And I never fronted hum nor adverse noise issue (with a convenient 9VDC regulated filtered supply, that said ;)). So it's a bad discover here for me ! :confused:

-tbln

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    stevemc, rze99 and JIMMY JAZZMAN like this.
  9. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Latest news for the evening... :)

Thanks to a tech-minded member from another forum, I tested a 90° placement of the toroidal power transformer as below :

[​IMG]

And it eradicated the remaining hum to the reverb circuit ! :):):)... Simple and stupid ! :rolleyes:

Nonetheless, the transformer is still a premium magnetic hum field generator : don't expect to approach the amp at less than 2 meters with a Strat, and not in a random position, while using the overdrive channel at moderate drive and level volume !

I just imagine at loud stage volume, with hi overdrive level : it's certainly not acceptable.

Tentatively, I'll install the Xfo on a bracket in that position, in order to continue the construction and setting. I'll try to make tests with an EI trafo to see if it is worth to replace the toroidal hum-wise, at the expense of +3kg weight, if it is the price to pay for quietness... :confused:

That said - hum transformer apart - the first sound tests that I made this evening are promising, both in clean and overdrive modes... :cool:

So Wait and See ! ;)

-tbln

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  10. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

During this times, I made several test of magnetic and electric induction directions finding, comparisons with EI transformers radiations, comparisons between different shielding materials... It would be too long to relate it all, and I'm not sure that it would interest much people ! o_O;)

To sum up :

- Toroidal Xfo is an omnidirectional disturber, but the radiated field is more electric than magnetic : more buzzz than humm, if I can say so. The Xfo has an external metallic ribbon ring of unknown composition.

- EI Xfo is much more directional, the direction being the axe of the core where it is the strongest, the plane of the laminiations being the area of secondary perturbations. Conversely, the radiated fiels is more magnetic than electric (I mention that the Xfo winding have covers).

- On the EI transformer, lead screen (thickness 3mm, added mass 750g) demonstrated absolutely NO efficiency against magnetic field, and is easily beaten by... Aluminium screen (thickness 2mm) : I would have bet the contrary... :oops:

[​IMG]

In the meantime, I discovered and bought on eBay a cylindrical cap shielding cover of the suitable size for my Toroidal Xfo :cool:. It's made of annealed iron :cool:. So I'll made a test - I hope conclusive !o_O

For the moment, I just surelevated the Toroidal Xfo of about 20mm with a wooden shim, and it proved to be enough to diminish tentatively the hum to an acceptable level :

[​IMG]

In waiting, I finished the Footswitch - minus the design and engraving of the top plate :

[​IMG]

This FSW controls : Overdrive, Booster, Reverb and FX Loop. Note the possibility of connecting the FSW cord at the right or the left, depending on stage placement... ;)

Unlike the power transformer issues, it worked perfectly at the 1st time : no adverse noises nor clicks... :cool:

If you put the FXs (for the FX loop insertion) simply on the top of the amp, there is 4X 9VDC regulated outputs allowing to power up to 4 stompboxes directly from the amp itself... ;)

[​IMG]

-tbln

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019 at 10:14 AM
    FenderLover likes this.
  11. tvas22

tvas22 TDPRI Member

Those look incredible! Do you have any audio/video demos?

tubelectron likes this.
  12. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Comet is cool!

tubelectron likes this.
  13. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Thanks @tvas22 ! ;)

Sorry, not yet... I'd like to fight that remaining hum story first ! :mad:;)

Thanks @MickM ! ;)

Some more pictures of The Comet...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-tbln

Piggy Stu likes this.
  14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

15. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

WOW... impressive work, man!

tubelectron likes this.
  16. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Really beautiful work!

tubelectron likes this.
  17. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Good grief - they're lovely!

tubelectron likes this.
  18. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Meister

Wow, I can't stop staring at the wired up chassis shot. Is the layout faithful to that of an ODS?

19. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Thank you Guys ! ;)

In fact, no, @Mexitele Blues : I used a set of Ceriatone OTS 100 boards (premium quality work :cool:) as a basis, but I modded them here and there to adapt them to my Serial Tone Killer project.

I also modded the circuit : tone-correction, FX Loop, Reverb, PWR supplies, OD circuit filter...

Without its issues of induced hum :mad:, this amp would work and sound wonderfully, as I expect...

I added today an additional shiedling screen under the reverb and FX loop circuits :

[​IMG]

It proved efficient enough to cut the remaining noise radiated in these circuits :). But it's not enough... I'm waiting impatientely to the Toroidal shielding cap and some Mumetal foil... Hope this will do the trick...:rolleyes: o_O

So the Hum and Buzz War :mad: is not finished - Wait and See !

-tbln

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019 at 4:19 PM
  20. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Could radiated noise be conducted on your Holy Grail's unshielded leads? Are its power leads shielded?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.