The sensational Alex Harvey (Framed - 74)

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by uriah1, Sep 10, 2019.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Been awhile..Had some albums. Never knew if he ever came state side.

2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

The SAHB is one of those bands I never knew existed until a couple of years ago. One of favorite tunes and performances is Complements To The Chef from their performance on The Old Grey Whistle Stop 75’. They were all over the map style wise. I love bands like that. There is enough footage of them that you can tell that they sounded great live.

Flaneur and uriah1 like this.
  3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

They were a great band. Zal Cleminson was one of my favorite guitarists when I was a kid.

They always had that slightly menacing vibe about them. The more hippie-ish crowds didn't know what to make of them.

As for the US - they never broke through big, but had pockets of fans in certain cities. NY and Cleveland were both hip to SAHB.

Non-fun fact: Alex' brother Les was the guitarist for a band called Stone The Crows, and he was electrocuted on stage by a badly grounded microphone.

- D

4. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

This footage was taken at the first Knebworth Festival, in 1974. Alex was a great Showman, as you can imagine, from the clip. I thought they more than held there own on the day, with a big-time lineup including the Allman Brothers, Van Morrison, The Doobie Brothers, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Tim Buckley.

Stone the Crows were a great, straight ahead rock band, fronted by the wonderful Maggie Bell. They would have been a huge success, were it not for Les's death.

Both bands sounded even better, in a tight indoor venue. Both Harveys died too son.

5. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Zal went on to form Nazareth if my memory serves me right. It's a shame that SAHB are best remembered for Delilah as they did a lot better songs than that.

uriah1 likes this.
  6. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah - like Faith Healer!

Bristlehound and ricardo1912 like this.
  7. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

Nazareth formed in the sixties I think. Zal JOINED them for a while in the late seventies. Great bands...

8. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Saw SAHB a few times and also the "without Alex" incarnation back in my student days. Great band to watch live. I played in a very short lived band by the name of "SHAB without Alice" (S**t Hot Axe Band), we were "S**t" alright, but had a lot of fun. "Without Alice" re-emerged for a couple of years in the mid 90's, but the only Alex Harvey song we ever played was the aforementioned "Delilah"

uriah1 likes this.
  9. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

I saw the SAHB a lot back in the 70s. Alex could look like a psycho Glaswegian gangster without too much effort. Which is hardly surprising :)

StrangerNY and uriah1 like this.
  10. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Manny Charlton was the original guitarist in Nazareth. I think Zal came on board later.

- D

7171551 and Bristlehound like this.
  11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

this is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I showed it to my son and he just about rolled in the floor laughing. we often watch this when he comes over.

12. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

Yep, amazing band. Often referred to as one of the top live acts in the UK in the early/mid 70's, but for some reason I missed seeing them.

Zal was a great player. He did indeed play with Nazareth for a while, drove a taxi, and retired to the Mediterranean for a while. But he's recently back in action:

13. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

”The sensational Alex Harvey (Framed - 74)”

Who doesn’t dig Harvey tunes?

aging_rocker likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.