The Seemingly Mandatory Blues Fedora

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
No hate on Joe intended, but....
THIS is an elder statesman of the Blues.
Joe is young enough to be his grandson.
I think the hat is a homburg.
View attachment 926387

Agreed 100%! Buddy Guy is, as the title of his great live album declares, "The Real Deal."
Won't say anything @ Bonamassa because there are entire threads hating on him already.
And that hat Buddy's sporting isn't a Homburg - it's a regular Stetson dress hat like my dad wore.
Homburgs have the rim of the brim rolled up like this:
45678-Capas-SteelGrey.jpg

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
In the last few years, I’ve started wearing hats more and more. I’ve got fair skin and the chance for skin cancer is

Outside of a ball cap, I’m more apt to wear a cowboy hat than any other style (usually straw—it’s hot in Texas)…my wife likes the look overall.

I have a straw trilby (bought in Memphis at J. Schwab’s on Beale Street) and a felt fedora bought in Peru.

I have a bolero hat, bought and worn extensively before SRV’s demise. I generally quit wearing it after his death, because I got tired of people saying, “Do you play like Stevie Ray?”
While I love his music and he had/has some influence on my playing (especially early gear choices), I am not and never will be a Vaughan-a-bee…therefore, I had the brim re-shaped to be less SRV-ish.

Workwear includes a hard hat. I dislike wearing it, but I enjoy making money, so…

As far as “blues guys” wearing fedoras, trilbys, etc.:
It doesn’t offend me one bit…however, I’ve always said that most white men under 50 shouldn’t be wearing a hat like that—with very few exceptions, he’s gonna be looking like a vinegar-water feminine product…After 50, it’s ok.

Here in Texas, there’s a pretty big movement of hipsters (guys and girls) wearing the old “Fort Worth/LBJ Stetson”-style hats. My late Father-in-law wore one like that until his death at age 94.
I’d probably wear one (even though I’m not a hipster) because I like the cut/style, but it’s very faddish and looks a little like I’m trying to look like I fit with a younger crowd, so I’ll stick with my basic George Strait-style cowboy hat. It fits my face and build.

Last edited:

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I'll admit it; I have one. A buddy of mine and I were introducing Buddy Guy, at a concert one night, years ago, and we dressed up as the Blues Bros. I still have the hat. Threads like this have made me not want to wear it, but I still do occasionally, mostly for laughs. It looks kinda like this:

FS Hat2.jpeg

MisterZ

Tele-Afflicted
The Blues Brothers didn't wear fedoras. Indiana Jones did.
Those hats the Blues Brothers wore are indeed fedoras - albeit narrow-brim fedoras. I always call 'em "Tom Landry hats". More formal than a trilby, not as formal as a homburg. (I have a nice gray Stetson Tom Landry hat that I wear from time to time, but since I'm not dressing as formally nowadays as I used to I wear my brown felt fedora more.)

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
Those hats the Blues Brothers wore are indeed fedoras - albeit narrow-brim fedoras. I always call 'em "Tom Landry hats". More formal than a trilby, not as formal as a homburg. (I have a nice gray Stetson Tom Landry hat that I wear from time to time, but since I'm not dressing as formally nowadays as I used to I wear my brown felt fedora more.)
You are right. Thanks for the correction. I had it in my mind that they were Porkpies, for some reason.