The secret to the Princeton? (boost pedal and od content)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Axegrinder77, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

So I had an epiphany..

The Princeton (mine is a modded 68 custom) is designed to give nice breakup and studio /reasonable volume..

Why the heck did I insist on auditioning every od pedal du jour, when evidently it's boost that's where it's at?!

Push that nice little amp into AMP overdrive/distortion.

I am sorry for being such a slow learner.

Axe

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  2. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I think I have another epiphany.

Those od pedals have volume knobs that can actually go above 9 o'clock .

Push that volume, and gently twist the gain?

Oh the joys of this wonderful hobby!

3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I bet your amp sounds awesome !!!

You should buy some new guitars to prove this fact ...

And post pics for us when you get them ..

teletimetx and archetype like this.
  4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 65 Blackface RI and use a boss Compression Sustainer CS-3. Works well and gives a lot of extra sustain IMO.

rangercaster likes this.
  5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve recently become addicted the DryBell Unit 67. Boost, comp, and EQ plus something magic. I use mine into DRRI -same thing really.

6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i've got a prri put into a head and running into a 2x12 cabinet. i had it for awhile and had never turned it above about 5. one day i turned it up to about 9. i was amazed! i didn't know this little amp could sound so mean.

7. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Saucy Box is what I use with the Princeton the most. Is does cleanish boost and no volume change if you want to roll in a bit more distortion on the fly. I like it with the Princeton because it doesn't comepress too much. Can't use a squishy pedal with the 68 since it has plenty compression on its own.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Axegrinder77 and grayback like this.
  8. rangercaster

TC Electronics Dark Matter is only 50 bucks ...

All pedals are the same thing anyway ...

9. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I know it's expensive for a boost pedal, but my multi knob Mesa boost pedal is perfection with my Princeton Reverb. Context being an amateur mostly at home player. It will fatten Telecaster, in a moment move my 335-like guitar between clean and break, or do that with Telecaster at higher volumes.

What I like about the many knob vs simple boost I made from a kit is the way it tunes the tone. Less adjustable pedals were better for more pure overdrive tone.

Again, just an amateur hack but the Princeton Reverb, Telecaster, semi-hollow humbucker plus boost pedal have stopped my wanting to buy stuff for years now.

rangercaster likes this.
  10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

There are Princeton Reverb people and then there are Princeton people.

After owning three PR’s, one of which was a super early drip edge with BF guts, I finally figured out I’m the latter.

And with non-Reverb Princeton’s, boost/overdrive pedal choice is crucial but - these days your options are endless .

And - both types are useful.

11. rangercaster

I'm more of a digital guy ...

Less maintenance..

12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I assumed Reverb with @Axegrinder77 saying '68 custom - that silver face reissue.

My boomer age and knowing the place in Janesville, WI that made the reverb tanks has me hopelessly addicted to real spring reverb. I know there's a lack of purity. I'm fine with circuit boards and like what I've soldered myself. I like our car with a robot helping as much as the one with stick shift. Love my one speed and fancy bikes.

Somehow I lost interest in too much overdrive and guitar solos. One of my kids realized how much more I could embarrass them via what a contemporary was playing when he rolled into the gas station last night.

:)

13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

The reason I love the non-verb Princeton’s is because of where they go when dimed - or close to it.

I have heard these amps be described as mini twins and I kind of agree.

more headroom and a sound that I just enjoy. And, my ears are just bad enough that any number of the good reverb pedals out there suffice for me.

And like the OP said, overdrive/distortion is great, but a boost pedal is pretty magical

14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have both Rev and not. I like them both. Too much "push up front" with any Princeton makes it unusable for me. Gets too nasty. (ie: OD with much gain on) But I'm talking about gigging.
    At home I could see where an OD in front may be nice.

MilwMark likes this.
  15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I never understood the always-on boost thing.

To produce distortion, a boost must raise level. But then you get mostly preamp/input distortion.

Why not just turn the amp up a corresponding amount and get phase inverter/power stage/speaker distortion.

The beauty of the BF/SF design is that it is basically all power stage distortion. Which people supposedly want.

Unless they actually don't.

jhundt likes this.
  16. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

dang - why am I always disagreeing with MilwMark, even when I appreciate his posts so much?

In think my Princeton Reverb (and my Vibrolux 5f11) both benefit from an always-on boost. Not a distortion device, but just a signal booster. The preamp is really not all that strong, and the tone control(s) take away a bunch of signal strength. Adding a nice boost at the front gives a pleasant but not excessive drive, especially when using single coil pickups (which is all I ever use). Some other amps did this with two preamp stages in series, before the tone circuit. Fender didn't. Anyway, it's just a matter of personal taste, isn't it?

The problem with the phase inverter and power-stage distortion is that the Princeton (and Vibrolux) phase inverter does not like an over-driven input. There are simple ways to correct this inside the amp, but the original PR design was not designed for high-gain input at the phase inverter.

Or you can get a sweet sound at the pre-amp, and add a distortion effect that doesn't boost the signal.

I don't care much for distortion effects, or for high-gain preamps. I like the sound of my Princeton amps, but I think they react nicely to a boost at the input stage.

8trackmind and MilwMark like this.
  17. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I just heard this yesterday, and though I've always thought I'm more of a Princeton Reverb guy, my Princeton Reverb doesn't do this. Wow. Maybe this is what you get when you don't have all the signal loss from having to power the reverb and then attempt to recover from doing so?

teletimetx, MilwMark and Mike Eskimo like this.
  18. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

"... with your fourth position on the Strat"... That tells me enough about this guy!

at 3:58 he zooms in on the controls. Volume is set at 1. Not very convincing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.