The secret punch on TV and in movies

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by verb boten, Jul 6, 2019.

1. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

I'm sure most here have seen it, it's been repeated many times. The Regular punch is in bar fights and other lengthy fisticuffs were guys pummel each other for 5 or ten minutes before finally wearing out, 20 blows or more.
    The Secret punch is one and out: guy turns around to the guy waiting for him, catches one in the face and goes down. Gets carried out, water on the face (or beer) to revive him from 1 (one) punch. Or he might stay down until everybody is gone, long time.
    Does anybody know the key to the Secret Punch, why it's so devastating and how to deliver one?

2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

These guys know the secret.

3. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Location, location, location.

4. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Like this?

5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

The truth is, the vast majority of people will go down with one punch to the face. Most folks can’t handle a single face punch.

6. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

It's not the puncher, it's the punchee. If you have an iron jaw, you laugh off the hit, if you have a glass jaw ... you take a nap. The guys with an iron jaw end up with reconstructive surgery like Mickey Rourke. I honestly think this all has something to do with Neanderthal bone structure.
    (Dad was a boxer.)

7. Manual Slim

That’s all well and good, but there’s always the blow that crushes the nasal cavity.

8. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

I threw a non-sucker one-punch knockout once. The guy totally deserved it. Prior to his pavement nap, he threatened to shoot me in front of a large group of people and was reaching for his back pocket when I tagged him. I had literally begged him to leave me alone before that. The collective gasp of all those people when I hit him was exhilarating as was the fact that I completely owned him at that moment. He had recently been released from prison and was bullying the entire apartment complex where I was visiting a friend. No more after that night. I was thanked multiple times for it. Additionally, the sister of my friend’s girlfriend was there and she was touched that I was so remorseful about having to punch the guy. We dated for several months until she realized what a jerk I really was(am). It’s not whether you win or lose, it’s how well you can remember your lines.

Oh, I almost forgot, I hit him in his mouth and his teeth cut my ring finger on my right hand. It made my finger swell up for weeks. I guess his mouth was pretty nasty. He got ten stitches in his upper lip.

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Physics...

Torren61 and verb boten like this.
  10. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's no secret, some guys just have the knack. I've known a couple of them. When they hit people they went to sleep. One was the older brother of one of my best friends growing up. He came back from Nam a bit hardened. In the early 70s he saved our long-haired punk asses a few times in bar parking lots.

I actually did it myself once, but I cheated. A male and female were jogging past my house and my Lab barked at them. I heard the guy say "I oughta come back and kill that dog''. I caught him at the corner and told him I was going to kick his ass. He started telling me about how he would file charges etc. He was right in my face and I jabbed him in the throat. He went down and I told his girlfriend that he might be quiet for a little while. Oh well, I had to hire a lawyer.

ftbtx, jman72, stinkey and 2 others like this.
  11. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

Love it. :cool:

uriah1, soulman969, Bassman8 and 2 others like this.
  12. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

I've heard of some almost life-threatening cuts from nasty teeth, infections and lengthy treatment.

Boomhauer and Torren61 like this.
  13. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

That's right. It's why man uses tools.

14. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

Nothing secret about his punch

15. Manual Slim

Oof, yeah. The last time I hit someone (a belligerent panhandling punk who sucker-punched me) his teeth sullied my knuckles. Gross!

verb boten and Torren61 like this.
  16. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

This is my personal favorite:

4ED10BB5-33FC-4111-80C6-891118C97D68.gif

17. kbold

kbold Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It's got to do with timing, not location.

One of the secrets to a one inch punch that's not covered in the physics video is muscle control: start the punch with an open hand (muscles relaxed). With a real one inch, rolling the wrist before impact amplifies the effect (with a 6 inch punch, it's not that necessary). Now, just before impact, squeeze into a fist and tense all those hand and arm muscles. Then just after impact release all that pent up muscle tension and open your fist. The punch becomes more like a flick with relaxed - tensed - relaxed transferring a maximum of energy. Also, doing it this way, it is not a kinematic chain.

Warning: It's got to do with timing. If you get the timing wrong you might injure your wrist or break fingers.
    So, practice slowly at first, and slowly increase speed (and energy) as you get the technique right - just like learning to do those super-fast lead breaks.

Also important: the impact should be on the knuckles of the 4th, 3rd and 2nd fingers, where the wrist is more stable. If you punch with the knuckes of the 1st and 2nd fingers, you run the risk of your wrist collapsing downwards, causing injury (and a lot of pain).

Warning #2: Do not practice this on your children or pets.

Manual Slim likes this.
  18. Manual Slim

Yeah, sure. But you aren’t punching anyone in the shoulder and knocking them out.

ftbtx and verb boten like this.
  19. kbold

True, but with a sore/injured shoulder he won't be punching me back (fight over).
    Also less likely I'll need a lawyer.

I'll accept a compromise: It's timing and location.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Manual Slim likes this.
  20. kbold

What any good self-defence instructor will tell you: The best investment is a good pair of running shoes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.