THE SCHAFFER REPLICA

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by blowtorch, Oct 18, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

You guys know about this preamp (from a wireless circuit, of all things)?

If you find the Andertons too long and gabby, like I often do, here's Pete Thorn

I think it's interesting. I know for sure those EP and Roland space echo preamp circuits were a "happy accident" that ended up being a huge part of lots of great guitar tones

2. blowtorch

3. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Kool stuff! Would love to try that pedal.

4. blowtorch

Me too. Unfortunately the original versions are over a grand.
    This version is "only" 2 franklins though

5. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yeah, I have an older friend that plays Angus in an AC/DC tribute band. He has one. He had amazing tone without it, but it definitely brings something different to the table.

6. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

Interesting, I wonder if there is a schematic out there. Wonder what is going on in the circuit.

It reminds me of a story about Tichie Blackmore running his guitar through an old reel to reel preamp or something.

7. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Interesting story, but the Anderton’s video is quite conclusive to my ears: I can hear the effect of a gentle boost on a saturated Marshall , and that’s all. But I guess that it is supposed to be that way, and it doesn’t harm the tone. My other guess is that it’s difficult to hear any subtle effect through a cranked Marshall (and through Youtube :lol:).

Certainly a very a nice addition to to the kit for the AC/DC lovers. A bit expensive.

There is a guy on eBay that is selling diy kits for an Echoplex inspired preamp, that’s 5 times cheaper, and you get a point-to-point handwired pedal. That’s what I’m going to buy. :)

8. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I think he did. When I saw him a couple of years ago there was a reel to reel on top of his amp, wether it was plugged in to anything I’d have loved to have known.

9. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Aion Electronics just released their project for the Solo Dallas Storm (the latest version of the S-V style pedal). I've been interested in this circuit since the remake came out a couple years ago but was way out of my price range. The schematic of the pedal shows an optical comp with a 4558 dual opamp and output from an LM386. I don't see any odd parts values, I may have everything I need except a vactrol and a few Schottky diodes plus the board.

10. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Yep, gotta love it, as Angus has probably always considered himself to be a "plug straight into amp" guy, and yet the article says:

Asked what special effects he used, Angus answered, 'I don't use any… I only use a Schaffer Vega wireless.'

...It's the kind of thing I've always kept in the back of my mind, as I've seen even old footage of AC/DC live with Bon Scott, and Angus was using the wireless unit.

So that's a minimum of three players who have tone that can't really be exactly replicated w/o something in front of the amp - Angus, Frank Zappa, and Ritchie Blackmore. It's the last guy who really got me wound up on how much guts single coil Fender guitars are actually capable of, for rock sounds, with a little bit of solid state assistance...

Anyway, Angus is just a great player as it is, but I have no doubts that the wireless gizmo really helps to just squeeze every last bit out of every single note.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  11. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

But did he use a wireless in the studio?

12. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, apparently he did, as the article points out. Quote from article:

That got Fil and his contributors to speculate, 'Why would anybody use a wireless in the studio when he is only a few feet away from the amp?'

13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I can remember following Fil developing this unit back in 2013 or whenever it was.
    It was cool to see him hang with Angus when he had started selling them.
    He was and probably still is a member over at MLP forum. He also has his own website with more details on gear etc.

https://solodallas.com/

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  14. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I'll be building this over the winter, looking forward to hearing what it does, as I'm a bit of a boost nut. My current favorite boost is the Fulltone 2B which includes a limiter, as does the SD Storm. PCB on the way :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.