The scent’s the thing

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Sep 14, 2021.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

My little dog Bella has definitely got a nose on her. I believe she could smell a gecko’s fart at fifty paces. We just got back yesterday from a weeklong camping trip, where we hiked trails is state parks and nature parks. My wife and I do it for the exercise, and we do enjoy the scenic parks as a bonus.

But for Bella, the scent’s the thing. And while we’re hiking, I do let her follow her nose, to some extent. But she’ll get her nose right down on a scent, and when I try to get her to move on, she spreads all fours out for as wide and low-to-the-ground a stance as possible, so I can’t easily move her. And when I still try, she’s like, “Wait! Don’t you smell that? What’s your hurry? What do you think we’re here for? The scenery?!? The exercise?!?”

Bella is a designer dog, I suppose you could say. Her father was Beagle, her mother a Cocker Spaniel (Bocker Speagle, I like to call her). I know her Cocker heritage points to a history of bird hunting (woodcocks, hence the “Cocker” name), but I suppose it’s her Beagle side that definitely ensures she’s a scent hound (a breed with a history of hunting hares).

As I review this rambling post, I guess there’s no real point to it, except that I’ve just enjoyed some time away in nature, with a little dog (stands about 13” and weighs about 25 lbs.) that brings me a lot of pleasure.

04-02-2020 - Bella treed a squirrel - 2.jpg
    (This pic happens to be of Bella treeing a squirrel, in the pecan tree in our back yard. I've got to get pics of her from our trips off my phone and onto my laptops hard drive.)

Feel free to add to this thread pics and/or stories of your own dog. Bonus points for more scent hounds.

Blue Bill, yegbert, BB and 8 others like this.
  2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My dog Scout isn't a 'scent hound' like a beagle, but he does the same thing.

I'll let him out in the yard during the day, and he'll do what I call 'old man walking' - walking really slow and sniffing every blade of grass and whatever shows up in front of him.

And when he's locked in, there's no moving him. He's about 80 pounds of sheer muscle, and he can be stubborn as a mule. He's a good boy, though.

Here he is as a pup and at 5 years old. He's 7 now.

scout-5.jpg

- D

blueruins, BB, catdaddy and 3 others like this.
  3. ukepicker

ukepicker Friend of Leo's

I had a basset hound as a kid that did the same thing. Man, all she cared about was eating as much as possible and smelling new things.

Sometimes I think I might like to come back as a dog.

Which parks did you hike?

LGOberean and Timbresmith1 like this.
  4. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

I had a hound. In this circumstance, (when safe to do so, ie: no traffic/ other dogs, etc) I drop the leash and continue walking. She’d come running pretty quickly.

LGOberean and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I used to hunt with hounds. There is nothing like hearing your pack of dogs running on a scent in the mountains at night when the air is heavy and the sound of their baying carries for miles.

televillian and LGOberean like this.
  6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My little girl Princess left us last year. But she went blind 3 years earlier. Half Cocker and some Weiner and other things. However, anywhere I went on our 5 acres, she'd find me with her nose. Slow but steady. Always by my side where ever I was. She'd sit outside the workshop door in the rain during rehearsal for hours if I didn't let her in.
    [​IMG]

Telecaster1954, BB, LGOberean and 4 others like this.
  7. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Rocket isn't a scent hound (Pyrenees mix) but you can tell that his nose is his most used asset (well, that and his super-power to attract girls. I wish I'd had him around in my 20s!).

When we moved to Tennessee (SMT, Suthern Middle Tennessee) in 1988, the house came with a dog (she'd been fed regularly by the builders). We put up a chain-link fence around an acre and "Blondie" (a yellow Beagle mix) stayed. We already had three other dogs but she stayed anyway...and was about 2wks from having 6 puppies (which were obviously mostly Cocker Spaniel).

Blondie was 'bag o' hammers' brainless. She had no redeeming features other than she was happy and healthy and would sit down to be petted. She hated being walked because she couldn't go wherever her nose led her. The first time you tried to get her to go your way, she'd sit down and imitate a bag of cement. I had to call Miz Diane to come pick us up because I couldn't carry her all the way back. All the other dogs would walk happily on the leash wherever I went and then run for home. When Blondie was done: bag o' cement. She wouldn't play with toys, wouldn't interact beyond being fed and petted. She would bay at anything she couldn't get to. Many nights I was woken up at 3am to her baying at a frikkin' toad sitting outside the fence. I'd have to shoo it away before she'd stop.

She probably would have been a great dog in a pack. She had the nose, the voice and the inclination. She had no clue how to be a pet.

It really was strange, I grew up with dogs and have had a pile of them over the years... Blondie was an outlier. Even our vet thought she was odd. All I can say is that we gave her food, a pat on the head and a place to sleep for 15 yrs. LOL, she didn't even like to have her belly rubbed.

StrangerNY, LGOberean and catdaddy like this.
  8. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

20210905_215606.jpg

Here are my two knuckleheads. Flash, the black lab, and the pretty border collie girl is Ava.

Too many idiosyncrasies between the two to list; but I love them and they love me.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My late Daisy looked a lot like Bella, except she was tan colored. Some folks called her type "Golden Beagles". She was "likely" a mix of Beagle and Dachshund. (according to the vet)
    We rarely WALKED on our walks, she would get side-tracked and stuck in one place by scents.....but she LOVED to go out on a leash.
    I've been checking shelters regularly for a similar sized dog to adopt, with no luck. Nearly every dog available is large, and they all seem to have Pit Bull mixed in. I want an "active" medium/small dog, (like a Beagle) but not hyper-active. (I need one I can keep up with ;) ) Bella's size is about perfect! ;)

LGOberean and catdaddy like this.
  10. LGOberean

We camped in Pedernales Falls State Park and Bastrop State Park. I don't remember all of the names of the trails. In Pedernales we did one called Twin Falls, and of course the main Pedernales Falls trail, and a couple that intersected it. In Bastrop, we hiked one I think was called the Lost Pines trail. We actually did that one twice, once just my wife and Bella and me, the second time with our oldest daughter and her husband, who came out to visit us.

While we were in Bastrop, we went to a nature Park in the town on Riverside Dr., which runs along the Colorado River. There we hiked the Cottonwood Kings, Two Bridges and Cliffhanger trails.

I relate to that. Bella also wants to keep her pack together when were hiking. She has a really sweet temperament. She'll make a brave show of defending us at home when the FedEx guy comes around :twisted:, but she essentially believes every human she meets wants to pet her. Still, people passing us on trails don't know that about her, so if people are around, I keep her on leash. But quite a few times we're the only ones on the trails, and I'll let her run free. She runs ahead, off the path, wherever...but never out of sight. She'll get pretty far down the trail, then, just before a bend, she'll stop and look back at us and wait. By the time we're about 30 feet away, she'll take off again.

11. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Afflicted

I used to have coon hounds. Once they get on a scent there is no going back.

Timbresmith1 and LGOberean like this.
  12. LGOberean

She does sound odd. Are you sure Blondie wasn't a cat in canine's clothing? :eek::twisted:

trapdoor2 likes this.
  13. LGOberean

Love labs and border collies. One of my daughters did a rescue from a shelter or the pound or wherever (this was about 20 years ago), so we don't know exactly what her mix of breeds was, but I think Border Collie was in there.

As for black labs, going back even farther (30+ years), when we moved into this house, we got a couple of black lab pups. One died an untimely death, the other got out one time when she was in heat. We didn't know the father(s), but she had a littler of pups. We gave all but one away; our youngest daughter fell in love with one. As a pup, he looked kinda like a black Ewok.

[​IMG]

He had a fluffy coat, not shorthair, and a broad head and tan eyebrows. When the vet first examined him, he said the father had to have been Rottweiler. Suddenly, we could all see it. So we called him our Rotten Retriever. :rolleyes:

Gil, funny thing, neither of Bella's parents were tricolor like she is. Her father was a tan and white beagle, her mother a golden cocker...

Bella's dad (2).jpg Bella's mom (2).jpg

And yeah, Bella is the perfect size for us, for sure. As for the "active" factor, she's almost hyper. We walk every day, 3 miles or more, usually, so that helps her expend some energy. She loves to play fetch in our back yard. When she changes the game from "fetch" to "keep away," I turn on my heels and walk back inside. In the time it takes me to walk the 6-7 feet to the back door, Bella has traversed the entire back yard and is right beside me, ready to come in, too. "Fly like a Beagle."

39martind18, nojazzhere and schmee like this.
  14. LGOberean

Oh, yeah, love coon hounds. The dog we had before Bella was a Treeing Walker Coonhound. My wife's a city girl and has never hunted, but she loves the look of coon hounds, and so our youngest daughter got her the Treeing Walker in 2001. She lived 11 or so years, don't remember exactly how long now. She was a sweet one.

fjblair and Timbresmith1 like this.
  15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Princess (Post#6) was Tri Color and her Mom looked a lot like that Golden Cocker. Dad was rusty colored.

LGOberean likes this.
  16. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Afflicted

Mine were Walkers too. Great looking dogs.

LGOberean likes this.
  17. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Dogs aren’t furry people. They don’t speak. Their vocalizations are limited to what they find works for them. Their limited vocabulary is receptive, not expressive. Humans are high off the ground. We explore our world with our eyes and ears. But we gather the most information by using language, and unlike dogs, that allows us to exchange information. Dogs are low to the ground and can lower their necks to sniff the ground. Their “vocabulary” is a catalog of smells but unfortunately for dogs, each of them must learn about the smells on their own.

So we walk the trail taking it all in. Sights and sounds. And we talk to each other about them as we make our way. The dog hears pretty well but his view is more limited. He has no idea what we’re talking about but he’s too busy to care. He’s exploring with his most highly developed sense, smell.

LGOberean likes this.
  18. Tele T

Tele T Tele-Meister

A dog is just a nose with four legs, that we love. :D

LGOberean likes this.
  19. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

And thank goodness for that.

In most cases, they're way better than people. :)

JL_LI likes this.
  20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Sadie’s been around the block. When I wake up she gets in my spot until I’ve had a coffee. She crawls up by the foot of the bed and sticks her head out sometimes. She knows the smell of bacon pretty well. That always gets her up.
    upload_2021-9-15_21-8-26.jpeg

LGOberean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.