The scammers FINALLY got me.

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Well ....it appears that the fancy new 'gig rug' that I gleefully ordered about six weeks ago will, alas, not be showing up at our front door anytime soon, in fact, never, and I'm out a few bucks under $100 for the experience.
Screenshot_20211031-230056.png

It turns out that the online company that I bought it from is a scam outfit located somewhere well east of the US, and operates out of a place called 'Singapore', which by itself is nothing particularly unusual, but does have a reputation for a close association with that big country that starts with a 'C', which shall remain unnamed in my post concerning this unfortunate situation, but it's reputation for being a haven for multitudes of scamming internet thieves is well earned.

In six weeks, no acknowledgement or confirmation of my order and payment, no tracking number, no communication of any kind, nothing, and of course, no fancy new gig rug.

Oh, well, it took 'them' several decades of me buying stuff online to finally hose me on something, so I've done pretty good overall, and it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Score one for complacency on my part. The following was very easy to find, probably took me 45 seconds to dig up with one simple search on these guys.

Screenshot_20211205-024636~2.png

Screenshot_20211205-024607~2.png

Last edited:

Tele-friend

Tele-Holic
Ouch, sorry to hear that. You really have to be careful this days and sometimes even that is not enough.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
I once got scammed too. I was looking for a spare part for an electric cooker, which were not made anymore since at least 2010. After a bit of scanning the internet, i found this offer on a chinese site, and found the spare part at a reasonable price. Paypaled, scammed.

What happened is that somehow my searches got stolen and it is how i got baited. Avast is uptodate, i might need to run cccleaner and adware too though.

Man, they are good. I m usually very cautious, but for this part, i searched russian and chinese sites, which is something i never do. But that cooker is great, and without that part the oven doesn't work.
I bought another electric oven. :(

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought a closeout Blackstone griddle from a place in "Ohio". PayPal email confirmation was filled with Chinese characters. PayPal made good on it.

Beakybird

TDPRI Member
Well ....it appears that the fancy new 'gig rug' that I gleefully ordered about six weeks ago will, alas, not be showing up at our front door anytime soon, in fact, never, and I'm out a few bucks under $100 for the experience.
View attachment 925991

Oh, well, it took 'them' several decades of me buying stuff online to finally hose me on something, so I've done pretty good overall, and it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Score one for complacency on my part. The following was very easy to find, probably took me 45 seconds to dig up with one simple search on these guys.

View attachment 925994

View attachment 925993

So sorry! Did you call your cc company? Bank?

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
sorry to hear John,

that sucks huge, any recourse ?
this is why I'm terrified to put my CC info out there
I hope this ends well in your favor!

sean79

Poster Extraordinaire
As mentioned above, it’s a pretty cool rug. I’m guessing a legitimate seller is selling the same rug somewhere. Sorry you got scammed; I hope you find some resolution.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
It's a shame that no matter how much good you can accomplished over the internet there are those that abuse it out of greed or whatever.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Did you pay with a credit card? Debit Card? Paypal? If so, go to them for assistance and a refund. If you paid by a "cash" method...Venmo, PP F&F, etc., you're unfortunately SOL.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Holic
I’m now at the stage where I refuse to buy from anyone other than legitimate sites/shops. By that I mean established guitar shops with an online presence. Or eBay where I have at least some sort of comeback. For things like homeware etc I’ll ship with the established retail outlets. And recently I needed some filters for our cooker hood - depsite the fact they were more expensive they were ordered direct from the manufacturer.

This is only going to get worse, not better

Lucius Paisley

Tele-Afflicted
My favourite scam was when this song ...

... was used to sell this record.

hqdefault.jpg

People actually thought the band had gone in a "new direction", but were surprised when every other song on the album was the same Matchbox 20 ripoff crap they'd always been doing.

HAHAHAHAHAHA... morons.

Sparky472

Tele-Holic
Sorry to hear that. It happens, unfortunately. As others have said, If PayPal is accepted you get some level of protection there. I try to verify the legitimacy of any website I consider doing business with. If I can’t, I won’t do business. Also, if a site doesn’t take PayPal or Apple, I always use a Privacy.com card, which keeps your credit/debit card info safe from scammers, hackers, etc. It’s awesome and it’s free.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Almost two years ago when the "crud" hit and I couldn't find toilet locally, I was searching online and it was out of stock everywhere. I finally found a site that listed many different items, and it had plenty of toilet paper, so I quickly ordered some. Then I started getting a funny feeling about the company, started searching it, and it came up as extremely new, with a zero reputation and possible scam site.

I called up my credit card company and cancelled the order, and ordered a new card. Turns out it was a scam company, but I cut it off before they were able to do any damage. The credit card rep said that the payment actually went to an individual and he gave me the address. I Googled it and it was a rundown residence back east. Shortly afterward the website was taken down

I've heard that now with the supply chain issues, there's many more of these popping up. They set up a nice online storefront with all kinds of items, often items that are hard to get right now, and all they're doing is looking to get your credit card number.

Last edited:

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Singapore is an independent republic, an island nation in Malaysia that spun off from the British Empire. Its population is 76% Chinese. Its government is very strict--some might remember the time they officially caned the American student who stole something--but at the same time it's very business-oriented. I'm not sure what that says about Singapore's official attitude toward international internet scammers, that rug merchant should be caned for sure, but those aren't the kind of criminals I'd be most concerned about if I were me. I'd worry about the big-money tax-shelter guys.

Cool rug.