The Saturday Tone Lounge Spotlight

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by 4pickupguy, Apr 4, 2020.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Clean or dirty or something else all together. If you have discovered somebody committing good tone, please share one and only one here every Saturday to focus on one artist or performance with as much info as possible about the players, music, venue (if live) or gear.

To get the ball rolling, my contribution this Saturday, Mark Lettieri playing Point Iz from his Things Of That Nature release.
    The band:
    Mark Lettieri guitars
    Shaun Martin Rhodes
    Wes Stephensen bass
    Jason “JT” Thomas drums

Mark playing his number one Grosh HSS strat through a Supro head/cab and getting some beautiful, unprocessed magic out of it.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great playing, gracias!

4pickupguy likes this.
  3. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Great choice...Mark Lettieri is a fantastic player with modern chords and clever voicings and he sounds like he's using just enough effects to get his point across.

Now for something completely different.

Magic Sam - guitar Mack Thompson - bass Robert St. Julien - drums

Sam Maghett looks like he's playing a borrowed guitar (Earl Hooker) through God knows what amp and it sounds great....all the attitude in the world.
    I've seen the late, great Nick Curran cover this song with the Fab T-Birds and it just doesn't sing like this version. And I've often wondered if the drummer has his wallet on the snare because he likes the way it slightly deadens the sound or he just needs to keep his eye on it!

4. 4pickupguy

My first solid body electric was THAT guitar!! It was a Hondo Les Paul copy with a bolt-on neck:lol:. Good choice! Weird gated fuzz thing he’s got going there.

elihu likes this.
  5. 4pickupguy

Larry Carlton on a Valley Arts strat playing through a Siverface Twin connected to a 2-12 cabinet facing up at him like a monitor. My favorite time period for his sound. About the 2:15 mark starts some glorious tone magic. Probably one of the best examples of "Clirty" I can think of.

wacolo likes this.
  6. 4pickupguy

This week for my Saturday tone lounge submission is Mark Lettieri again. Killing it on a Tele this time. Chicory

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  7. 4pickupguy

Ok, this weeks submission is quite familiar to all. So much so that we take it for granted. The tones on this duo track are just beyond classic. The lead on Waitin' For The Bus is my fave wah (Vox amp tone X knob) ever. The guitars on Jesus Just Left Chicago to me do not sound like a Broadcaster but rather a strat in 2nd position. They don't sound double tracked but maybe they were. The feel is the largest part of the tone IMO. Just killer tone and feel we have heard so many times, we take it for granted.

Taylornut777 and elihu like this.
  8. elihu

The internet consensus says the Reverend was using a 1969 Marshall 100 watt Super Lead amp for the first 6 albums.

Sounds mucho bueno to me.

4pickupguy likes this.
  9. 4pickupguy

Fat, Mean & Nasty Cosmosquad live. Just fat, mean nasty guitar thumpin’ via Jeff Kollman. Just cool stuff and great live sound.

elihu likes this.
  10. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Meister

still in love with gordie's tone

elihu and 4pickupguy like this.
  11. 4pickupguy

Same tune as above for this Saturday. This time on a tele. Just love the chugging Marshall’s rhythm tone Jeff Kollman gets on this tune. It would be a fun one to do. There is a five pc arrangement of this tune on ewetoob that has a beautifully constructed piano solo section I like much better but since we are focusing on guitar tone here...... I know being tuned down to (sounds like) C helps the chunky chunky... but still very “brown” sound.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    elihu likes this.
  12. 4pickupguy

This weeks is an old time fave of mine. This is Eric Johnson doing Hendrix’s Love or Confusion in ‘86. If you were lucky enough to hear him live back then then you know how huge a sound this was. The fuzz is just glorious. Spitting, gating, and as full a fuzz chord sound as I have ever heard. Eric manages to pay honor to the tune and faithfully captures the Jimi energy. Always shaking the pedal tone chords and accenting changes with trem dives. Great stuff.

ndcaster likes this.
  13. 4pickupguy

I just love this guys live tones. Essentially he has Rat type drive (Bob Burt) into a clean Fender style amp. Can anyone identify his two amps? Deville?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    elihu likes this.
  14. elihu

Mr. Marr.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    4pickupguy likes this.
  15. 4pickupguy

This weeks Spotlight is Greg Koch’s “Foolish Mortals”. Great rhythm character flowing into one of the tastiest use of octavia (sorry Jimi) ever. Cool tune and one done at any another tempo just ain’t right. It’s gotta have that determined groove thing and that thumpy, popping 5 string pumping that low end. I want to cover this tune if the venues are ever allowed to open back up. Anywhoo, a very cool tune.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  16. 4pickupguy

This weeks tone lounge spotlight is on Ariel Posen. Magic tone hands for sure. He has that music touch. Very cool sound here..

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  17. 4pickupguy

My contribution for this weeks STLS is one filmed in 92’ on a low quality video camera from the audience. He had just bought that now famous tele. Sound and picture quality is low but the performances from all is fantastic. Very cool tune and very fun to play. Robben’s tone and playing is off the charts good. Big props to Roscoe Beck for his two handed bass line/tapped chords through a vibe unit at the end of Robben’s second solo!! (6:30) . Jaw dropping... The man when he was just hitting his stride...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    elihu likes this.
  18. elihu

That's a great lead tone...creamy but enough of a bite to where you know it's still a Telecaster.

4pickupguy likes this.
  19. 4pickupguy

I still love watching this video. One of my favorite players. Guthrie Trapp is one of those players that just has a certain touch for tone. He can get the most beautiful sounds out of that neck pickup... don’t get me wrong, the bridge and middle tones are amazing too, but when he plays quietly at the start of a solo, it just sings like no other. Great performance by all and a great tune.

Greggorios and elihu like this.
  20. 4pickupguy

Another example of pure low process goodness from Mark Lettierri from about 4 years ago. Its a waltz of all things. It features a very good bass solo played by Wes Stephensen while Mark provides beautiful volumes swelling chords. Then one of my favorite piano solos ever set of one of the coolest grooves. It plays out on that groove with the band so in the pocket you cant get enough of the groove.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.