The rumors are true, I really am a paragon of self-discipline. Kawasaki Z H2 content.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, May 21, 2020.

1. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

I had an H1 back in the day, that was a scary bike but I didnt know any better, got rid of it without managing to kill myself which I am quite proud of.

Matt G, Skub and Mike Simpson like this.
  2. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I used to have a Honda 360 years ago. Someone did some work on it - it put out the power of most 500s. I lived in the country, so I would find an area with no traffic, and open it up full blast - until I hit 60 MPH, then back off and up shift to top gear. I loved that acceleration feel, but never felt comfortable going fast. I don't think I ever had that bike above 65, and rarely even went 60. This was back in the days of the 55 MPH speed limit. And I never felt like I needed more power go get a thrill - that 360 was plenty.

I still cannot image close to 200 HP. Even on a broken in bike, I would not open that up - just too many things can happen too quickly. That, and I have not ridden in years. OK, OK, decades.

mexicanyella likes this.
  3. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

From the bars, the only thing you can see from there is Jeebus, standing by the side of the road, waving you in.

whole tone likes this.
  4. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I had a couple friends with CB350 twins, which predates the 360 but were similar. I think they were a little peakier and had one less gear, maybe. I thought they were fun to ride and felt compact and solid, and I liked the sewing-machine revvy twin sound they had. One of them had some kind of aftermarket 2-into-1 header. I liked the ruder 2 separate pipes sound.

I had a ‘72 CB450 twin for several years and liked it, but as I became domestic family man I found it harder and harder to find riding time (and to maintain a maintenance and repairs budget) so I sold it about ten years ago.

5. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

A good friend of mine was the shop manager for a Kawasaki dealer in the early '70s.
    I had a chance to ride one of the first H1s they got in stock.
    We called it the Kawasaki Fast-sumbitchi.
    It was a lot faster than the other bikes that were common then.

Mark

6. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

My buddy Scott bought a brand new 4 cylinder KZ900 in '73 in Des Moines and rode it out to the Navy base where we were stationed in Washington. Some of the road on the way there had no speed limits, he claimed it went 140 mph, stock bike.

7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Just the dirt bikes of the late '80s could move way faster than I could react.
    I love looking at these new bikes but I'd never take one past 2nd gear.

8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

This is the saddest story I've read all week.

9. John Backlund

An actual 140 is really pushing believability for a stock Z1, they were very fast for their time, but 83 hp (crank hp) getting a 550 pound bike to that kind of speed is a tall order. I would think that an actual 120-125 is probably a realistic top end for that bike.

10. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

I love motorcycles and have several. However, as I grow older I'm less inclined to talk about motorcycles for the very reasons I see in this thread.

Good on you for remaining a motorcycle enthusiast.

11. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I hate sportbikes. Ugly POSs that attract idiots for owners & look like cross-training sneakers.
    If it ain't a Harley, I ain't interested.

12. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

in ALL those pages you signed @John Backlund - did ya see anything about donating salvagable organs?

I remember a "test ride" in the mid 80s on a Yamaha (Radian?) that had eyeball flattening accelleration and was nothing like my safe-as-milk Honda CB360.
    No way was I ready for that kind of a donor-cycle!

Glad you made it home safe.
    Peace - Deeve

13. John Backlund

Apparently, you are not alone in that sentiment, my friend!.....ride safe, 'bro'...
    Screenshot_20191113-172110~2.png

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Skub, tery and LutherBurger like this.
  14. John Backlund

Why's that? I didn't ride it any differently than I've ridden any of the other sixty motorcycles I've owned since 1966, or the hundreds of others I didn't own but had the opportunity to sample at one time or another.

I didn't get to sixty-nine by being an idiot on a motorcycle.

If I don't start to get crazy on one of these damn bikes, it's beginning to look like I may have to die from something else, and those nearly fifty-five years of insane risk-taking on motorcycles will have been for nothing. What a waste!

Deeve likes this.
  15. John Backlund

Meh, when it gets locked, it gets locked, I couldn't care less. I need advice concerning motorcycles from non-riders, near-riders, and knuckle-dragging Harley Kool-aid drinkers like I need two a$$holes.

By the way, one of the six machines we currently own is a Harley-Davidson.

;)

Skub and 8trackmind like this.
  16. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Its just like " this amp is too loud " club. They have knobs on them , and bikes have a throttle that works both ways.

I was very familiar with all the 70´s bikes. The two stroke Kawasakis were really fast , peaky as hell , and handling and braking were....interesting.

My own get out point was around the ZX10/ZZR 1100 era. I had small children at the time , and the wife was never interested in riding bikes. Going riding with mates , while the family stayed at home didnt feel right. The interest just faded from there over the years.

I have read about that Kawasaki John , what a bike !

17. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

I also thought you were going to talk about the two stroke triple, my favourite bike. My friend had an H2 in 74 and what a beast. I've ridden all my life and at 63 I still do.

Very well done for your restraint on a brand new bike, I salute you.

18. John Backlund

Yes, a supercharged, nearly 200 hp machine, and I didn't go over 60 mph on it. I hear that it's fast, but nothing that I did on it would indicate that.

19. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Yes - beserko bike but not so much as the original drum H1..

A friend had a H1, later model. Tamed but still fast and raucous.

20. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

You could sometimes feel dizzy when riding behind these bikes , or the Suzuki two strokes of the era , LOL... The occasional two stroke smell when we are out riding our bicycles really bring back memories....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.