The role of "feel" in intellectual/academic pursuit...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Nov 7, 2012.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I've worked with instinctual intellects and folks who are empiricists.

I'm curious about the role of 'feel' in the pursuit of thought/ideas..

what are your thoughts?

2. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

You've got to be kidding .

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I work with people who operate HVAC machinery, boilers, chillers and energy management systems. Like any trade or career there is sometimes more than one way to achieve success and efficiency and getting there is part art, part science. Some use the slide rule and spread sheet and still can't attain the results that the guy who "wings" it and vice versa. Sometimes empirical evidence is flawed because a variable was missed due to lack of imagination or "feel".

In the right environment and limited to defined sciences...no...feel goes out the window.

4. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Einstein went by "feel" his entire career. He was able to imagine what it would be like to be, say, a beam of light. Using those insights he would then write a proof... and often need help with the math.

5. blake

blake TDPRI Member

I "feel" my way through every lead, does that count?

6. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

My heart has been filled with joy, but I've been brokenhearted too. I've also had my guts "torn out".. these are real physical feelings..

Sure, there are physiological reasons why my organs "feel" the joy and the pain..

..but, can someone explain the "why" though?.. beyond the fight or flight instinct?

7. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Every brand new thought is a work of art.

8. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

I guess it depends on the discipline. Things are a lot more clear-cut in physics or chemistry, not so in psychology. A psychologist taking a strictly empirical view, like Skinner say, would make a lousy counsellor. On the other hand, I like to know the airline pilot is relying on the instruments, not on instinct. But then, how much empiricism did Captn Sullenberger use in bringing his plane down on the river? I think masters in any field have to move beyond so-called evidence-based empirical stuff.

9. rwsand

rwsand Tele-Afflicted

Feel
    Inspiration
    Human Cooperation
    Willingness
    Focus
    Optimism
    All needed to figure out the difficult puzzles.

10. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

I've been teaching biology for 30 years (egad!) but I still literally get goosebumps when talking about an interesting idea in class. (Mitosis and food chains don't do it for me any more, though.)

D.H.

11. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I never feel as confident after torquing a nut with a torque wrench as I do when I just tighten one down with a regular wrench until it feels right.

12. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Feel this...

13. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Calling Larry! Calling Larry!

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

In "art", "feel" is everything.

15. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

Disagree.

What we misidentify as "feel" is actually us using our learned knowledge and skills to come to a conclusion.

I had a mentor who once said that implying you did something until it felt right is just not committing to your work. The ambiguity and inabilty to quantify feel makes us feel as if we are free from negative criticism for our final product.

Even art suffers if you ingnore researching your field and faint knowledge of your subject.

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

well, what we're doing at this point is disagreeing on semantics, I think.

Which leads to the ridiculous question "What IS feel?"

17. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

I remember an episode of The Gong show where...each and EVERY contestant come on stage and sang "Feelings, nothing more than feelings".

They were all gonged...that's right...no winner. That right there is your answer.:neutral:

18. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

Robert Pirsig's "Metaphysics of Quality" gets into this topic pretty deeply. You might enjoy Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and its sequel, Lila. His assertion is that the cold, scientific, "classical" method and the emotional, feels-right, "romantic" method are both subordinate to Quality.

19. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

20. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

Great question!

Complete over-generalizations follow.

In my work I deal with all kinds of thinkers (and non-thinkers). The most successful have both an innate understanding of how things behave and ability to describe it with math and data.

A pure "feel" person knows what's going on, but may have a hard time describing it in hard scientific terms (equations). Feel people usually can relate to the layman better.

The pure "empiricist" can solve partial differential equations in his sleep, but has no idea what the answer actually means. They are usually the stereotypical nerd who can't relate to others.

In my experience the pure empiricist tend to get caught up in the details and don't see the bigger picture. It's the whole "can't see the forest for the trees" thing. They are good for solving difficult well defined problems and will do it right. They have a hard time stepping even a little bit outside the box. If the problem is open ended, they struggle.

The "feel" guy has a better grip on what is really needed and can work on more ill defined problems. They are better at getting the answer you need, not the one you asked for. They tend to be sloppier in their work. The "feel" guy can get things pointed in the right direction very quickly and figure out how to attack a problem.

I definitely lean toward the "feel" side of things. Equations and data don't mean anything to me if I can't relate it back to the problem at hand. I can walk into a meeting and pick up what is going on pretty quickly and offer suggestions and insight. Math is not my strong point, and I am the first to admit I can miss the details and make errors. I do a good job of presenting my work to others and I can relate to management better than most. If you want the answer to the 10th decimal, you would be better off going elsewhere.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.