The Rise, Fall, and Comeback of American Cheese

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
on a burger, not sure I could tell you the difference between cheeses by taste, unless it was Pepper Jack, or a stinky variety.

Mostly just adds texture, to me.

Like other people said.. it never went away for me, because I buy what is cheap, and fancy cheeses for sandwich purposes are mostly a waste of money

ZackyDog

Friend of Leo's
I like Boar's Head White American:

1653807566955.png

Poster Extraordinaire
It's my favorite on a burger. I can't stand it on a grilled cheese.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
on a burger, not sure I could tell you the difference between cheeses by taste, unless it was Pepper Jack, or a stinky variety.

Mostly just adds texture, to me.

Like other people said.. it never went away for me, because I buy what is cheap, and fancy cheeses for sandwich purposes are mostly a waste of money
Mmmmmm mmmmmm mmmmm, Pepper Jack

I could probably be talked into putting Pepper Jack cheese on a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
We are pretty cheese savvy in our household. At any given moment, we probably have a good hundred dollars worth of fine cheese in our fridge. I used to play in a band with the manager of the cheese department at Pennsylvania Macaroni, and he always makes sure we have the best.

But I still love regular American cheese for certain applications, like burgers and grilled cheese. Not that there aren't better choices for both. But its what I grew up with, so it will always be near and dear to my heart.

And for everyone who says that American cheese is processed, well, all cheese is processed. Some more than others.

Dbrian66

TDPRI Member
I am a proud American, but we dropped the ball when it came to our signature cheese! LOL. On a grilled cheese sandwich is about the only way I eat it. And even then I throw a slice of Swiss on there as well!