The Rickenbacker Bass: A Short History by Fivewattworld

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
The GAS is real...

Great video, do like his stuff for the specifics.

Always loved the look of Rick basses and the sound. It's more mid range than a typical bass in my opinion.

As much as I love the MM Stingray basses, I think I want the Rick more in fireglo with hi gain toaster pickups...

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
Still the coolest looking bass ever.
I've never owned one, never even played one I don't think.
I did build the 400X kit that thefretwire used to offer. I did upgrade the bridge to an Allparts Ric lookalike. I think that's the only change I made.
Painted it gloss black.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Interesting video, but… Ford Rambler Coupe?!? Ford??? Then he talks about how we remember things wrong, and calls it a “Ford Rambler” again!!!

Breathe… breathe… that’s good… like that… ahhhh…

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Interesting video, but… Ford Rambler Coupe?!? Ford??? Then he talks about how we remember things wrong, and calls it a “Ford Rambler” again!!!

Breathe… breathe… that’s good… like that… ahhhh…

Hasn't he heard the song "Beep Beep" ?

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Here's the follow up livestream. There is usually discussion of the original video but it is not limited to that.

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
Someone should let him know that a rest mounted above the strings is indeed a "finger rest", but below the strings it's a "tug bar".

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
I had the honor of completely cleaning the snot out of a friend's late 80s 4003S, pretty rare color combo from what I understand.

The nut was replaced with one ordered from Ric and filed correctly.

The fretboard had a couple chips drop filled with CA and polished, frets dressed, etc.

The surround for the bridge pickup was all rusted, so that got blasted and re powder coated.

The switch was frozen, the pots were scratchy, it looked like the top of the guitar was used as a charcuterie board.

All the chips/battle scars were left as is, but now he can play his bass without worrying about tetanus.

20190803_093811.jpg

20190808_191653.jpg

20190809_153235~2(1).jpg

20191222_211559~3.jpg

Last edited:

bumnote

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Can't wait to watch this one later...I really enjoy his videos.
However...I really want a Rick bass, but the prices even used are something I can never justify.
That video is going to set my GAS off something fierce.
I may end up ordering the sub-$300 Harley Benton knock off before the video is over, then start modding the heck out of it.