The Return of the Tubescreamer

hawk45

TDPRI Member
I made the mistake of getting a TS as one of my first pedals b/c it was "the standard" pedal to have. I was looking for distortion, and at the time did not know that there was a difference between boost, OD and distortion. The idea of stacking wasn't even a thought. And as a beginner bedroom player I was highly disappointed. That thing sat on the shelf for years until I got more into playing and the internet exposed me to all the different flavors of drive and ways to use drive pedals. Now I love it in front of more dirty pedals to get them more dirty. It can be used in so many other places in the chain to but that is my primary use.

dukewellington

Tele-Meister
Two?? Do explain :D
Rhythm and lead. One clean, the other cleaner. One dirty, one clean. Both clean, one louder. Dealer’s choice.

You can also just turn one on and look cool with two. Use it as a striking tool when you guard the car. Or hand one to the other guy when he forgets his $300 Strymon thing with a hundred knobs.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
After years of missing it, I recently got my old TS-5's switch fixed. It's back on my board again.

I'm stupid!
I loved the way the TS-5 sounded ( I'm someone that actually turns up the Drive on a TS- uses its distortion into a clean amp) but that switch broke after a few years, and I got pissed, threw the pedal away.

Over the years, owned and sold probably 8-9 other Screamers ( but a Blues Driver is my main OD)
and currently use the Joyo Vintage Overdrive- I love it-

I think this TS and the TS-5 are the best sounding ones I've used.

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
A TS shines when its used to push the amp. Trying to play at bedroom volumes and use it as a distortion box is gonna not do well. But with the volume about 3 oclock, and pushing the amp over the edge, they are amazing. At home that would be mighty loud.

Public Service Message: Hearing protection recommended.