The Replacements

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
"TIM" desperately needs to be remixed. A box full of great songs wrapped in a horrible, tinny, mix.
I was having this exact conversation with a friend the other day. Although really, we've been living with that album warts and all for almost 40 years. It's like the White Album remix- amazing to hear, but when I want to hear those songs I listen to the original mix.

They hired Tommy Erdelyi (aka Tommy Ramone) to produce that record because they liked sound of the Ramones records he'd produced. Apparently when Westerberg heard the final mix, he said "I guess we really wanted Ed Stasium" (Stasium had engineered the Ramones records for Erdelyi, but hadn't worked on Tim).

I really, really liked the Replacements back in the day but I can't listen to them any more. It's not them, it's me.

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
I was having this exact conversation with a friend the other day. Although really, we've been living with that album warts and all for almost 40 years. It's like the White Album remix- amazing to hear, but when I want to hear those songs I listen to the original mix.

They hired Tommy Erdelyi (aka Tommy Ramone) to produce that record because they liked sound of the Ramones records he'd produced. Apparently when Westerberg heard the final mix, he said "I guess we really wanted Ed Stasium" (Stasium had engineered the Ramones records for Erdelyi, but hadn't worked on Tim).

I really, really liked the Replacements back in the day but I can't listen to them any more. It's not them, it's me.
Yeah, it’s such a great album and but there’s absolutely zero bottom end to the drums and bass.

On a related note: I recently picked up the “Dead Man’s Pop” box set which includes the previously unreleased Matt Wallace mix of the “Don’t Tell A Soul” LP. It’s the original mix that the Mats wanted to use for the album that’s drier with less reverb and more rough around the edges than what was eventually used. The tracklisting is slightly altered and some songs sound like different takes altogether to my ears.

It would be interesting if “Tim” got a similar treatment, but as you said, we’re already accustomed to the existing mix as the definitive article for better or for worse.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
Growing up in the 80s Chicago punk scene, I was lucky enough (or unlucky enough... ... I kid!) to see the Replacements countless times. One of the three seminal post-punk bands of my teen years, along with Hüsker Dü and REM (and I guess Soul Asylum was the fourth...). I absolutely cherish everything through Tim. After that they quickly fell off my leader board.

"TIM" desperately needs to be remixed. A box full of great songs wrapped in a horrible, tinny, mix.
Tim has its production flaws for sure, but honestly this is how I feel about Pleased to Meet Me. Hated the production on that one from Day One, and it still sounds harsh and dated to my ears. Those ungodly gated drums! If I recall correctly, PTMM was an early digital recording, and I think that accounts for some of the lack of air. But, if I also recall correctly, that sound is baked in, a remix couldn't help.

if you guys haven't seen this, it is absolutely worth a watch. I've only seen the husker du epsiode, but if the 'mats one is anything liek that, it's going to be amazing.

https://www.pbs.org/show/mn-hardcore/

enjoy
Wow, I had no idea this existed, thank you!

I’m shocked nobody here hates the Replacements, or said “Oh yeah? Bob Seeger is better”.

it’s really fun to listen to Bob Stinson‘s solos on the early stuff and try to grab a few notes, what was going on in his mind? He was a huge Yes fan.
When the Mats showed up in Memphis to record "Pleased to Meet Me" with Jim Dickinson, Jim was really pissed off that they showed up without Bob.
Yup, put me down as one of those Mats fans that feels Bob was the heart and soul of the band, as well as its secret ingredient. His guitar pushes their records all over the map, incredible stuff. So rare to hear a guitarist with such chops, but also gifted with incredible good, sometimes wonderfully bad, taste. Post-Bob, the band became barely interesting to me.

Last edited:

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
On a related note: I recently picked up the “Dead Man’s Pop” box set which includes the previously unreleased Matt Wallace mix of the “Don’t Tell A Soul” LP. It’s the original mix that the Mats wanted to use for the album that’s drier with less reverb and more rough around the edges than what was eventually used. The tracklisting is slightly altered and some songs sound like different takes altogether to my ears.
Some of my friends were really excited about that set, but to me that was the record Westerberg decided to try and make more "commercial" music in an attempt to try to have an actual hit, and the songwriting suffered badly. Slightly better sounding versions of songs I didn't like in the first place? Thanks, but I'll pass.

Geoff738

Poster Extraordinaire
Am I the only one who likes Tommy’s solo stuff better than Chris’s and then Paul’s. In that order?

Cheers,
Geoff

raysachs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I came to them a little late, around ‘88 or ‘89. Really dug some of their albums - some GREAT songs! But I saw them once, opening up for Petty, and it wasn’t a glorious disaster, it was an unmitigated disaster - so drunk they could barely stand up and hold their instruments, let alone get their songs across. Still think Westerburg was a great songwriter, but never wanted to see them again…

-Ray

Alex W

Friend of Leo's

I love Westerberg's touch on the guitar, the groves he creates with chord progressions. I'd rather listen to him grooving on rhythm guitar than most other guitarists' lead guitar playing.

jondanger

Poster Extraordinaire
Am I the only one who likes Tommy’s solo stuff better than Chris’s and then Paul’s. In that order?

Cheers,
Geoff

That Bash and Pop record from 1993 is great, but you can really tell that he learned how to play and write in Paul’s band.

I love Westerberg's touch on the guitar, the groves he creates with chord progressions. I'd rather listen to him grooving on rhythm guitar than most other guitarists' lead guitar playing.

Eyes Like Sparks is a perfect two line song - pretty tough trick to pull off.