The Replacements

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
Any objection to me shamelessly promoting lesson videos for two Placemat songs (done on ASAT Tribute)?

You did those lessons? Great job.

I really wanted to learn Alex Chilton as it’s one of my wife’s absolute favorite songs. Alas, I can play the parts but just can’t cop their feel.

(That’s nothing new, there’s loads of artists I can’t get - whatever I do it sounds like a bad version of Keef trying to play someone else’s stuff lol)

I hope all you mats fans have read Trouble Boys and listened to/bought the recent Live at Maxwell’s release. Both are great! The book will make you laugh and cry, at some points simultaneously. The recording captured the proverbial lightning in a bottle.

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Great band, loads of fun, but teetering on the edge at times. I guess that's what made them fun.

My Westerberg is equally fun.
20220523_120827.jpg

Screenshot_20220523-120737_Photos.jpg

Last edited:

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
I think they attempted some new recordings during the reunion era, but Tommy Stinson said it felt "icky" and the idea was quickly aborted.
I read that too . Man I really would have loved to hear some new stuff from those guys . It’s gotta be so tough to come up with new “satisfactory “ material after so many years .

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted

I really wanted to learn Alex Chilton as it’s one of my wife’s absolute favorite songs. Alas, I can play the parts but just can’t cop their feel.

(That’s nothing new, there’s loads of artists I can’t get - whatever I do it sounds like a bad version of Keef trying to play someone else’s stuff lol)

I hope all you mats fans have read Trouble Boys and listened to/bought the recent Live at Maxwell’s release. Both are great! The book will make you laugh and cry, at some points simultaneously. The recording captured the proverbial lightning in a bottle.

I could put the book down , it was so good

Geoff738

Poster Extraordinaire
The Replacements were their own worst enemy. I love them to pieces. So many great songs, and so many terrible performances. Any given night could go either way with them.
After reading the book, can’t remember the name, I did have the strong urge to take them each by the neck and shake them as hard as I could. Masterful self-saboteurs.

Cheers,
Geoff

68tele

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Saw them a bunch of times early on...CBGBs, Maxwells, Irving Plaza....when they were 'on' they were untouchable. But the hey-look-at-us-we're-drunk shtick got old fast. Never liked their studio sound - the albums all sounded like poorly produced demos. Live is where the magic was.

standup

Tele-Meister
I’m shocked nobody here hates the Replacements, or said “Oh yeah? Bob Seeger is better”.

it’s really fun to listen to Bob Stinson‘s solos on the early stuff and try to grab a few notes, what was going on in his mind? He was a huge Yes fan.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I’m shocked nobody here hates the Replacements, or said “Oh yeah? Bob Seeger is better”.

it’s really fun to listen to Bob Stinson‘s solos on the early stuff and try to grab a few notes, what was going on in his mind? He was a huge Yes fan.
There used to be a sign up in Shakey's Pizza Parlor restaurants:

3099826173_4eda734e2e_b.jpg

You could cross out "Shakey's Pizza" and put "The Replacements" there.

What Bob did was very primal, an odd cross between Chuck Berry licks and Ornette Coleman. :)

Last edited: