The Replacements

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
From 1981:

Going by the date, this was done before their first album was released.

So the songs aren't really there, but they had the performance aspects nailed early.

I love it in the last song of the first set, when Westerberg's guitar is completely out of tune, and he barely seems to care.

Last edited:

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Awesome- strangely I missed them the first time around . I had a couple friends who were into them , and I didn’t click with me .
But it’s Been great discovering so many good songs , and a couple of really great, can’t live without songs in the last 15 or so years . I really wish Paul would get back into it at least , or better yet , the replacements. The remaining ones .

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Awesome- strangely I missed them the first time around . I had a couple friends who were into them , and I didn’t click with me .
But it’s Been great discovering so many good songs , and a couple of really great, can’t live without songs in the last 15 or so years . I really wish Paul would get back into it at least , or better yet , the replacements. The remaining ones .

They did a reunion tour in 2013-2015.

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
Great band, indeed. Overall, I'm more into the middle period (Let It Be, Tim, Pleased To Meet Me) than the earlier stuff.

"TIM" desperately needs to be remixed. A box full of great songs wrapped in a horrible, tinny, mix.

The "Don't Tell A Soul" LP though has some of Westerberg's best: "Achin' To Be", "Darlin' One", and "Rock 'n' Roll Ghost".

I was looking up random stuff on YouTube the other day and came across this clip of Paul Westerberg talking about some holiday gifts he just bought at Walgreen's. Identifying himself as Paul "Miller".

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I too had heard OF em but had never HEARD em until last year when I got TIM and Let It Be on my phone. Great stuff!

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I’ve seen them live 4 or 5 times, going way back to their heyday. Proof that you don’t really need to play that well to make great, great rock and roll. “Alex Chilton,” “Left of the Dial,” so many killer songs. I met Westerberg once at a club gig. He was just standing at the bar. Talked to him for a while. He revealed he liked unusual tunings. Favorite lyric:
“…I used to live at home/ Now I stay at the house…” (Bastards of Young)

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Great band, indeed. Overall, I'm more into the middle period (Let It Be, Tim, Pleased To Meet Me) than the earlier stuff.

"TIM" desperately needs to be remixed. A box full of great songs wrapped in a horrible, tinny, mix.

The "Don't Tell A Soul" LP though has some of Westerberg's best: "Achin' To Be", "Darlin' One", and "Rock 'n' Roll Ghost".

I was looking up random stuff on YouTube the other day and came across this clip of Paul Westerberg talking about some holiday gifts he just bought at Walgreen's. Identifying himself as Paul "Miller".

Yeah, agree with all this. Good observation about Tim. Even way back then - before I was really paying attention to stuff like this - I thought the production sounded off. Kinda flat or overly-compressed or something. But those songs just crush through nevertheless.

Esquire Jones

Tele-Holic
From 1981:

Going by the date, this was done before their first album was released.

So the songs aren't really there, but they had the performance aspects nailed early.

I love it in the last song of the first set, when Westerberg's guitar is completely out of tune, and he barely seems to care.

My gawd, I love them!

Every time I’ve seen them it’s been a fabulous disaster.

A 500 horsepower cacophony barreling down the street.