The refusal of shots at a gig

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rnsmith1, Mar 1, 2006.

1. petebradt

petebradt Former Member

Don't give the onions to the dog, onions are poisonous to dogs and cats.

2. sticko

sticko Tele-Meister

They don't call it the Bluff City for nothin'
    As far as shots go, I really only like Jack Daniels and good Tequlia(i.e. Milagro Reposado, Corazon Anejo, Hornitos at the very least), and I prefer to sip those, not shoot them. I can make a shot last through two beers. But if someone brings me a Cuervo, or God forbid some kind of "purple bootyhead brain toast goofball" kind of shooter, I just put it aside and leave it there. Most of the time, the person who bought the shot is either gone before the set is over, or too drunk to notice either way. And if they do notice and force the issue, it's then obvious that they're wasted and silly and therefore to be ignored.

3. sticko

sticko Tele-Meister

They don't call it the Bluff City for nothin'
    Oh yeah, and your singer isn't obligated to do a d#mn thing other than sing.

4. halouis

halouis Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'm with Sticko. Jack (Wild Turkey or Jamesons) and Tequila for me. Keep that Nyquil Jagermeister away! i can;t touch that stuff anymore. Oh and a beer is always welcome. that said, i don't like to have more than 2-3 drinks before I play anyway. I need to be sharp.

but really no one HAS to take a drink they don;t want. My former singer was a supposed recovering alcoholic, and didn;t drink at all. I'd never let someone make him feel bad about not taking a drink.

5. Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis Tele-Holic

At a gig in Colorado I did frequently I had an arrangement with the bartender -- folks would want to send shots to me so he'd tell them I liked "barefoot slingshots" or "sex in an elevator with a spider monkey" or some other ridiculous named shot. He'd make up something (usually some basic combination of sprite and grenadine) and we'd split the $$.

It got to be damned funny after a while as we dreamed up the "shot of the night" name.

6. Twangbanger

Twangbanger Tele-Holic

I'm 25 and have been playing clubs and bars since I was barely 20. I look younger than I am, so if I'm not drinking, people guess that I am too young.

We'll I feel that you should have to drink anything that is sent up to ya. It's funny watching the look on people's faces when they offer to buy someone a drink at a bar and they say no thanx, I don't drink. The people look like a confused puppy!

The place that I play every weekend is cool. We get all the food and beer we want, look out though, kind of dangerous. But it's funny, cause we have people wanting to buy us drinks all night, sometimes we take em, and sometimes we say no thanx.

I know my limits and watch what I drink. Got too much to lose!

7. Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis Tele-Holic

At a gig in Colorado I did frequently I had an arrangement with the bartender -- folks would want to send shots to me so he'd tell them I liked "barefoot slingshots" or "sex in an elevator with a spider monkey" or some other ridiculous named shot. He'd make up something (usually some basic combination of sprite and grenadine) and we'd split the $$.

It got to be damned funny after a while as we dreamed up the "shot of the night" name.

8. rnsmith1

rnsmith1 TDPRI Member

Now that is priceless........

9. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

I thought singers were supposed to prance, preen and strike poses too.

Jim

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, I believe Tom uses them to tenderly wipe the sweat from his brow and throw them away.

Other then a water bottle with a top that closes, I don't want any drinks on stage. They will get spilled and muck up some piece of gear. YMMV.

11. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Re: That's unusual....

The bars that I go to aren't near as reputable as the resturants that I eat at! ;)

12. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

And yet people will pay extra to get a new guitar that only "looks" like it had drinks spilled on it for the past 40 years. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.