1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Red Devils "Automatic"

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by elihu, Nov 22, 2020 at 4:01 PM.

1. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

It's like someone took an LA surfer dude, a rockabilly rhythm section and a kid from Denton and made them listen to Muddy Waters' Hard Again for a month. I think King King was the best blues album from the best blues band since Muddy's run with Johnny Winter. What a band and what a shame...

rjtwangs likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yep I've always dug that album, I remember back when it came out, it seemed to have just kind of gotten lost amidst the deluge of blues-rock stuff that was so popular then

elihu likes this.
  3. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

"I think King King was the best blues album from the best blues band since Muddy's run with Johnny Winter."

You got some listening to do...

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

You don't know that. :p
    He may have listened to all the material you're thinking of, he may have listened to MORE than that, and come to that conclusion

5. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

My dad was in a skiffle/rock n roll band in the 1950s called the Red Devils here in England...only played local to his area though
    funny how names re emerge

6. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

Uh yeah, but the 'best band' since Muddy? C,mon...

7. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Holic

Bill Bateman of The Blasters on drums.

elihu likes this.
  8. elihu

Hard Again was 1977 and King King was 1991. What better blues bands in that time period are you referring to?

9. bluemud928

bluemud928 Tele-Meister

t-birds?

10. elihu

Yeah, okay.

The thing about the Red Devils is that they did Chicago Blues like no other band since Muddy and Johnny Winter.

My bad.

11. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

First 3 T-Birds albums, Hollywood Fats Band, Mighty Flyers, James Harmon, Legendary Blues Band, Kim Wilson's bands, Roomful Of Blues, Anson Funderburgh and the Rockets, Ronnie Earl and the Broadcasters, Duke Robillard's bands, Sugar Ray and the Blue Tones, etc etc. All were very influential at the time and are today. And to be fair, I'm only listing the melanin-deficient bands. Cheers!

12. bluemud928

bluemud928 Tele-Meister

yeah, i really liked michael hill's blues mob, maurice vaughn, and jimmy dawkins was still putting down some great stuff in that time period

JRapp likes this.
  13. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

And Magic Slim, Eddie Taylor, Luther Tucker, Otis Rush, Little Milton, BB, Robert Jr. Lockwood, Mighty Joe Young, Magic Sam live stuff, Johnny Littlejohn, Byther Smith, Smokey Wilson, Sammy Lawhorn, Long John Hunter---all had albums out in that time frame, not to mention all the reissues that got released.

14. elihu

Muddy's bands had a distinct type of arrangement where the instruments played interlocking parts rather than longish solos. It was more like the big bands of the 40's as opposed to the Texas and West Coast styles that were mentioned. And it was different to my ears from the Chicago West Side stylings of Otis Rush and Magic Sam for the same reason.

That's the feel I get when I listen to the Red Devils. There's a sense of power there that I don't usually get from a great guitar solo. It's more of a band thing.

blowtorch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.