1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The reason why I love TDPRI

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by garytelecastor, Jul 29, 2015.

1. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

About a week or so back I started a thread about a very good friend of mine who was looking for an amp for his son, who happens to be going into his 5th year. He wanted an amp where the two of them could play together. I received a PM from Wlewis (sorry man, people should know) stating that he had a Peavey Backstage that he would pay it forward with and donate to the young man. I got the amp today, and to say it is pristine is an understatement. I choked up when I saw it. Chase is going to love it, and I just got off the phone with his dad. We are meeting for lunch tomorrow and he gets it tomorrow night. I had to open it to see the amp, and so we are going to repackage it so Chase can have the fun of opening it. I am truly overwhelmed at the giving spirit that WL displayed. I didn't ask, he just gave.
    As if that is not enough, on the same thread I got an offer for a Spider 15 from Paratus. About 2years ago a friend of mine, who is now deceased, has a daughter who was barely hanging on. She had been self harming and one night she sold all her belongings and said goodbye to her family. So my friend who knows I work in the psych biz called and I found her and we talked for a while. I promised her that if she could get through this thing she was going through I would build her a guitar. When Paratus left his post I sent him a pm the next day saying all I had to do was assemble the guitar and I was wondering if I could buy the amp, Buy the amp. He too, said, "no way", I'll send it to you and you can give it to her.
    So now two people who don't know two people are going out of their way to make a total stranger a little more happy, a little more loved, and a little further away from before. I wiped away a couple of tears and wrote back.
    I just want to say that I am so amazed at the quality of the people that come on this site. I will never be able to repay this, and to be honest, I have learned a person shouldn't think about repayment. They should think about being blessed by fellow people on the planet, and be grateful to that person for showing the good that they are. So to all of you, especially Will and Mark, a huge hug and thanks. You all touched 25 people that you don't know, and through deep breaths Thanks.-gary

BTW, I am making sure that Chase's dad takes credit for getting him the amp, and Char knows where hers is coming from.

2. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I teared up reading this one. Music can help ease the passing of souls of all ages through this strange and treacherous life.

It's good people who make it possible.

3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Wonderful story. Wonderful people on this site. This just helps to reinforce one's belief in the overall good of humanity.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

What a fantastic story and yes, great people are on this forum to be sure. This validates my gut feel that all of society is not lost and that there is still great humanity out there. Special kudos to Wlewis for stepping up in such a gracious manner. You are a fantastic example of the "good people".

Thanks garytelecastor for sharing such a heart warming event.

5. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Luke wanted to tell Chase that I had gotten the amp for him, and I insisted that he didn't do that. That my role was no different than that guy that sells the car. My dad and I never got along all that well, but when I was 9 years old he bought me my first decent guitar. I still have it. I don't have a lot of great memories about him, but I have one where he put all else aside and just got me it because I wanted it really, really bad. I hope that char has the same memories of her dad in years to come.

6. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

What a great story, that is one for the books. I also got emotional as I read it.

I am constantly amazed at the experience, intelligence, compassion, humor, and integrity to be found among the members here. One would be hard pressed to find a better group.

Wonder how I managed to slip through the screening process?;)

7. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Tele-Holic

I am simply glad to get it into hands that will use it and appreciate it.

I only started playing in February of this year and was given that amp to get me going. I now have a great VHT Special 6 Ultra that I really enjoy the sound of, so the little Peavey was going to gather dust. Now it won't and a kid can make the same joyful noise that we do.

That's good enough for me.

8. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

That reminds me I have two amps out on 'loan' to relatives!

9. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

'tis a good thing to be stuck in the middle of, gary.... you did good.. :)

sometimes you think out loud..and the world hears you.... ooops..too late then... the wheels turn and roll on....

helping young musicians by making sure they have good gear to play with ..is paying it forward ... for all of us....

gawd knows the cheese cutters we had to learn on... someone else's usually.... small practice amps/ pedals? what were they....

I'm half way through building a guitar for the gr5 girl in my school rock band.... I run it by her today... you want a guitar?.. sure..what colour you want?..any colour but PINK,, she blurted out with a smile.... :)

10. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Great story Gary, thanks for posting it. And well done you for arranging it.

11. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Thanks for sharing the good stuff going on!!! It is really nice to start the day with some good, positive, goings on. Proud of everyone of you guys.

12. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Heartwarming story. Yes, thanks for sharing the good stuff Gary.

13. mfowler314

mfowler314 Tele-Meister

Great story and just what I needed to hear. I was feeling a little disappointed with Humanity since yesterday when someone stole my daughter's purse right off the back of her chair (with her sitting there) at the public library. At the library of all places! TThey must have just walked behind her and deftly grabbed the bag and she didn't feel a thing. Yes... I've now given her some advice about how to avoid this in the future. But the main thing was that she and I were just feeling let down by humanity at this.

So... Gary's story has restored my faith in humanity - Thanks!

14. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

I've always said that I would love to have enough money to walk into music stores and buy guitars for those people I could tell wanted them but would never be able to afford them.

I love giving people stuff, especially when they need or want it really bad.

15. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

With all of you as my witnesses, if i ever get remotely famous playing music, i will pay it forward by donating my time, knowledge and equipment to young kids who don't have much to begin with.

Music is my true salvation and it also brings me great joy to share what I know and have with others.

16. meric

meric Tele-Holic

Thank-you for posting that Gary. I am fortunate that I have enough amps and guitars that I can lend out equipment and not be too concerned about when I get it back. I have helped out three people by lending them guitars and amps to get them interested in playing. It is a great feeling knowing that in some small way I helped another person explore and find a connection with music. I think that this is the best way to thank the people who helped me. It is good to hear that you get happiness from what you did and not just the recognition of what you did.
    It will come back to you.

17. Swervin55

Swervin55 Tele-Meister

Thanks for sharing your story. In this day and age when it seems humanity is going for **** it's really nice to hear the other side.

18. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Good story about good people helping people who can use the help. Kudos to you Gary for enabling something so beneficial. Been a number of these stories on TDPRI, it is indeed a special group of folks.

For those of you looking for a way to help in this manner just visit a local "at risk" middle school near you and talk to the music teacher there. A small gift of an old guitar, amp or any musical gear will make a difference in a young person's life; especially in such underfunded schools.

19. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Waite Phillips, who donated around 100,000 acres of land that became the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico, is quoted as saying, "The only things we keep permanently are those we give away".

I too have given quite a few guitars and amps to disadvantaged kids, its a great feeling helping out and spreading the love of music.

And as my signature says, the world may be a much better place when we are important in the life of a child.

20. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Thanks so much for posting this. It is each other that really keeps us all going. It took me a long time to figure that out. Major karma bank deposits for the kind folks mentioned in this thread.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.