The real deal, or is the deal real?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by benben, Dec 1, 2019.

1. benben

benben TDPRI Member

Hey Folks - Greetings. This is my first post, just a day after bringing home my first tele, an American Standard. The store I bought it from said the guitar had not been modded. I've played Strats for years and finally got obsessed with everything Tele. After waiting in the weeds forever to find the guitar and deal I wanted I'm now finding the following perplexing (and I'll be the first to admit that I'm not expert in these waters): so far my online searches for other American Standard Teles always show them with the Fender logo stamped into the bridge plate - my Tele does not have a logo stamped into it. At the same time, I note that on the Fender site they sell 'American Standard Telecaster Bridge Plates ('86-2007')' and those do not have the Fender logo stamped into the bridge plate. Would this be because Fender for some reason omits the logo for bridge plate replacement parts, or do the Fender replacement bridge plates not have a logo stamped on because American Standard Teles came that way out of the factory? As I said, I can't find an American Standard Tele online without a logo stamped onto the bridge plate. The Fender serial number search tool calls my guitar an 'American Telecaster (2000-2008) leaving out the word 'Standard' - Is that significant, or are the terms 'American Standard Telecaster' and 'American Telecaster' synonymous? The guitar itself looks incredibly pristine and sounds great. While I was immediately impressed by the condition I then asked myself why a guitar that could be up to 23 years old looks so darned good. Sure, maybe it barely made it out of the case in all those years, but could another possibility be that is was recently made in the Far East? Is the only way to authenticate this to open 'er up, or am I just being entirely paranoid? I have 28 days left to bring it back if nec.

Any thoughts based on the above and on the pics would be greatly appreciated!

Dazed and confused,

Ben

Attached Files:

• T1.jpg
      T1.jpg
      File size:
      63.8 KB
      Views:
    • T2.jpg
      T2.jpg
      File size:
      80.2 KB
      Views:
    • T3.jpg
      T3.jpg
      File size:
      72 KB
      Views:
    • T4.jpg
      T4.jpg
      File size:
      35.6 KB
      Views:
    nojazzhere likes this.
  2. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I have a 2005 American Standard Tele (at least that is what I call it) and other than the color (mine is blonde) and my maple fretboard, all the hardware looks just like yours. I think you're good.

Steve Holt likes this.
  3. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

Your guitar looks period correct to me, nice find!

4. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

An image search shows some have the logo in the early 00s but looks like most didn’t. However, are those saddles chromed? I thought they were unchromed metal in that era?

5. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

6. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

I looked at 4 of the 2005's just now, none have a Fender logo stamped into the bridge plate. The only thing I see wrong is its not a Glendale stainless single cut bridge plate. :twisted:

7. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Just to add - Fender called this model the "American Series" from mid-2000 until the end of 2007. It was a marketing thing; they did a fairly major revision that came out in July 2000 so they dropped the "Standard" from the name. Then in January 2008 when the next big revision came out they restored the "American Standard" name. I'm not 100% sure when the "Fender" logo was added to the bridge plate - that could have been when the revised "American Standard" model came out in 2008 (an they went to bent steel saddles instead of the satin-finished cast saddles).

@Matthias does have a good point - the saddles should have been satin finished; the chrome plated saddles were found on the American Deluxes of that era so yours may have replacement saddles.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  8. benben

benben TDPRI Member

Thanks y'all. I think I feel a bit better about this.

FYI, the saddles are indeed chromed.

As far as the Glendale bridge plate is concerned... the lack of it initially looked really odd to me... personally I prefer the Glendale look, however most of the American Standards I saw online share the same bridge plate design as mine. Also, I believe the Elites and Ultras use a similar bridge plate design without 'sides' on the bridge plate. That may be why the pared-down plate design didn't alarm me the same way the 'missing logo' did. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only guy around with a missing logo stamped into it.

Thank you, again!

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

My first questions would be, "Is it comfortable to play? Does it sound good? How does the neck feel? (actually that would be first question) Does it stay in tune? How much does it weigh?"....etc, etc.
    WAY down the question list would be , "Is this the right bridge plate?"
    Sorry to be snarky.....I just have my own priorities. ENJOY.....it looks like a keeper. ;)

10. benben

benben TDPRI Member

I couldn't agree with you more. Of course those are all the top reasons to keep focused on. My questioning the logo on the bridge plate was related only to whether the guitar was real or a knock-off. I love the guitar for all the reasons you mentioned - but I still wanted to know whether it was an authentic Tele!

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Have we got a serial number for it?

It sure does look like a '01-'07 "American" or "American Series".

The saddles show us the guitar is not intonated properly. Is this guitar set up? I think the "provenance" is fine but I'd want to know how sound and how playable it is. I have an early '05 "American" that started life like that except I had the maple board version. Check the individual pieces of wood making up that black body. Make sure that seams are not too obvious - should that sort of thing annoy you. On mine you can really see one seam - almost any decent lighting conditions.

Are you guys sure the saddles are chromed? They look sintered to me, on my monitor.

Anyway, if you don't do your own setups (or even if you do) you could let an independent expert look the guitar over super well. Sometimes perfectly nice guitars just get manufactured and don't find player owners. But, also sometimes the less impressive examples do get passed over by picky buyers so let's rule that out.

Welcome!

12. benben

benben TDPRI Member

Thanks, Boris. I've uploaded a few more visuals.

I haven't had it set up yet but it sounds great and plays reasonably well - even as is. I expect playability will improve after a good set up - right now it's fighting back more than I like.

I've included some new looks at the saddles, front and back surfaces of the guitar - I can't see any seams anywhere. In fact, the surfaces appear practically glass-like. I may have lucked-out in terms of build quality. The serial # is Z5020772.

Honestly, I'm not at all clear with respect to distinctions between chrome, satin or sintered saddle finishes so I'm afraid I'm not able to clarify that point. Perhaps the these photos may help?

Attached Files:

• T5.jpg
      T5.jpg
      File size:
      32 KB
      Views:
    • T6.jpg
      T6.jpg
      File size:
      40.8 KB
      Views:
    • T7.jpg
      T7.jpg
      File size:
      46.4 KB
      Views:
    • T8.jpg
      T8.jpg
      File size:
      95.2 KB
      Views:
    • T9.jpg
      T9.jpg
      File size:
      99.9 KB
      Views:
    • T10.jpg
      T10.jpg
      File size:
      80.9 KB
      Views:
  13. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I did a serial number lookup. Here is what came back:

AT.png
    Serial number looks good. Guitar looks good. I don't see a name of the bridge plate, but it's hard to tell for sure from the pic.

14. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Saddles look correct from a Google image search as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.