The Ranch Hand-- Assembling a new guitar

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by getbent, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, I didn't know the story of course, but that's reasoning why I thought THE should be dropped.

With that background, I think it's even better labeled just as "Ranch Hand". Because that makes it spoken and still recognized as THE Ranch Hand.

(Hmm, not sure if that makes as much sense in writing as it does with a voice.)

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I love the name Ranch Hand, with THE or not.
    Several years ago I built a series of guitars that were all somethingHand. I did some Black Hands, a couple of Mojo Hands and mostly Top Hands (my avatar). I stayed away from calling anything Slow Hand of course but I think that's a cool name. Somehow Ranch Hand didn't even occur to me.

I love the 'California' tooling and the cowboy theme. To me it harkens back to a time before California was quite settled and civilized as in a lot of early westerns and dime novels.

It had escaped my notice, but after hearing the story of your friend I say keep the THE. It obviously means a lot.

3. ToadLC

ToadLC Tele-Meister

This is a very cool build. I love when you make the guitar yours and not just another that doesn't stand out from the herd. (pun intended) :lol:

4. martino

martino Tele-Holic

Ah the good old Ma & Pa stores!
    Your guitars look better and better!!!:D

Originally Posted by Shoved BassVIII
    Where'd ya get the testors paper?

I have got some from ebay.
    [​IMG]

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...1&ct=result&cd=1&q=testor+decal+paper&spell=1

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

cool on the testors! I bought the last pack and while the guy seemed curious... I think he ain't ordering more (I think they are gonna have to close)

thanks for the thoughts about the THE... I think it worked out just dandy... your input was totally helpful and fun... you guys picked the same thing as my wife and kids... so, it is all good...

I haven't gotten anything done on the guitars today.. and I'm leaving the country tomorrow... so it may be about a week before I can work on them again....

6. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Just lookin for an update, I've really enjoyed following the build!

7. getbent

Thanks Fendertx,

Okay, I DO have an update! I took the white tele and the sherwood green one to my buddy Greg Menacho one of the finest luthiers in the bay area. I've got everything installed on them and working, but I want Greg to go through it on the setup end... he is gonna polish the frets, get the nut perfect and set it up the way I like it....

I'm just not quite good enough to be able to get it exactly right.... we had a blast today when I dropped them off... he is gonna do a bone nut on the pine guitar and showed me his gorgeous J200 and a strat he built (they have bone nuts and a bone string tree) he is toying with making bone saddles for the strat... just amazing work.. he is such a nice guy and, well, actually talented on this stuff....

The sherwood green tele has nocasters and a three way switch, the white ranch hand has a bill lawrence strat neck pickup and a bill lawrence bridge pickup... it is gonna be cool!

The ranch hand will have a glendale bridge and saddles (with stainless steel e/b) and the cutout on the bridge for the bender that BrianF is gonna install! oh yeah!

I will get the hardware installed on the body this weekend and post a pic at the end of the weekend. I've got a couple of tracks that Dan (Daddydex) and I are working on and I gotta finish recording my part... I think I'm gonna see if Big John will play some tele on it... I need some swells and tasty stuff.... and Dan has the finest voice I know... kinda the TDPRI's Vern Gosdin.

Pics this weekend, I promise!

8. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I, for one, will be eagerly awaiting those pictures.

If you know what I mean.

Vern Gosdin? The VOICE!

9. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Don't know how I missed this thread! Cool project!

[​IMG]

I'll be watching you! :D

10. getbent

Arlo,
    You were a HUGE inspiration my friend! Last coat of clear (I keep sanding and touching up... I'm stopping now.. it just won't be perfect) I got all but my ferrules in... so, I installed my klusons today (had to use my new reamer... good god, what a great tool!)

I couldn't find the camera... but I will finish assembly tomorrow night! Then it is off to my buddy Greg for one of his custom bone nuts and final setup.. then off to Brian for the bender... I can see a light at the end of the tunnel (and I'm hoping it ain't a train!)

Lots of pics when I find the dang camera.

11. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

Did you lose the iPhone?:lol:

12. getbent

arat said it sucked so I stopped using it. my new rule...only follow internet advice.. ignore your own experience!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  13. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ranch Hand? You wanna finish that geetar with agent pink, yellow and orange! :D

14. getbent

here we go... I found it under some kipple.. I can't wait to assemble tomorrow night.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

That is gonna be sooooo cool.

16. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Coming together nicely!

17. getbent

Telecaster BLISS*******

Okay, so, more sanding and more coats on the clear ranch hand... but, I got the white ranchhand done and my buddy Greg checked it over and tweaked the intonation and the Sherwood Green one... All I can say is.... OMG!

The white feller has a Bill Lawrence front strat pickup and a bill lawrence tele bridge pickup... a three way switch and WHAT THE HELL! it sounds awesome and plays great... 3 very distinct, very useful sounds. I have almost NO money into this guitar... I can't believe how much I like it...

And the green one... it has nocasters in it and a three way switch both are using wilkinson bridges... oh man! terrific. I can't decide which one I like better... but I dig them both...

some pics of the green one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  18. getbent

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. axmaker

axmaker Tele-Holic

the green goes good with that amp. they look spiffier than 3 kittens in a red wagon. good goin' randy!

b.t.w. we still gotsta do lunch.....:D

20. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Wow GB! I would get all the chicks with that green combo. I am very jealous.

Dan

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.