The Ranch Hand-- Assembling a new guitar

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by getbent, Jan 5, 2009.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Progress today. one more coat of clear.... I received my glendale bridge and saddles, completed the switch wiring (except the pickups) and received notice that my Fred Stuart Pickups are on the way...

busy family day tomorrow... but, I'll get back to that guitar tomorrow night!

2. getbent

logos are done.... I printed them using Pages (I've become addicted to that program) on testors decal paper.... very simple and straightforward... gonna use this logo on a couple of things... once you've printed... I shot them a couple of times with light coats of deft clear gloss... that way the ink won't run when I get'em wet to place on the neck

[​IMG]

got a lot of sanding and polishing done tonight on the mean green machine, the tubb caster is just about done and ranch hands body got its last coat of clear... she is looking good!

[​IMG]

3. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    That decal looks cool enough to pet a burning dog!

4. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

Yeehaw!

5. getbent

Tdot,
    Thanks again for the input! Your ideas were good'uns boy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they went on smooth as pig snot... can't wait to hit'em with the clear.. can't decide whether or not to spray or wipe on.... either way.. I gotta wait til I get home from the Big Valley tomorrow night...

6. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

Those are going to be too cool.

7. Shoved BassVIII

Shoved BassVIII Tele-Holic

Where'd ya get the testors paper?

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like the decal location better on the all maple one. Have you mocked up the string tree location yet?

Looking good!

9. getbent

The local hobby shop... the guy didn't even know he had it and when we found it together, he laughed and said, 'what the heck are you making decals for?" when I told him, it took him aback and he said, "do very many people do that kind of stuff?" and I said, "oh man, a bunch!"

it was the easiest stuff I've worked with.. it comes in 5.5 X 8 sheets... inkjet...

I shot two coats last night... another in a couple of minutes before I head out...

Boris, you are probably right... the difference is pretty small... the maple neck is a retrofit from a neck I've used... the string tree goes through the bottom of the lasso hoop....

on the rw it will be left of that (which is why I selected that spot) I think it will be okay...

10. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Those logos look great. Have you cleared over them yet? I think a lot of people mist the headstock a couple times before going with a wet clear coat - to reduce the risk of curl up or something.

I thought the guitar was the Ranch Hand, but now there's two of them. Who's the Ranch Hand? Getbent, are you the Ranch Hand?

11. Taipan

Taipan Tele-Meister

Builds coming along great getbent - looks as though your an Ol' Ranch Hand at this guitar building stuff!
    If you would have slid the logo's a bit more to the nut and a tad down you could have dropped the string tree right below the 3rd tuner ( g-string) and been all set for them there behind the nut string bends!

12. getbent

Thanks fellers... Sean, yep, cleared over them several times before slidin' em on... The guitars definitely have their flaws because, well, I am a rank amateur... but, I am feeling excited about them...

I guess I like the name of them... maybe any guitar I name from now on will be a ranch hand... I absolutely see myself as just a hand on this little ol ranch.

Taipan, I think I understand what you are saying.... and while I fully support a feller's right to scratch his own self, I do not plan to bend anyone elses gstring... if you know what I mean!

13. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

Looking good GB! I was skeptical of the pic on the logo at first...I usually prefer just the lettering on a headstock, but that looks nice. Not gaudy as I had feared.
    So what's the next step in this project?

14. getbent

My fred stuart pickups showed up yesterday WAY EARLY thank you VVG! I need one more clear coat on the body, the green one is polished enough (I want it to look ABU but clean) so, I'll start installing the components in the green machine(nocasters, mint pg, undecided on bridge yet), let the pine body dry, then I'll steel wool the headstock (I guess) and put the neck on the green one, install the tuners and then assemble the white ranch hand and then assemble the pine one... set'em up and then have my friend greg check my work and laugh at me a little... then send the piney off to brianf for the bender installation...

15. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I have some of those Fred Stuarts coming as well.

It will be fun to compare notes. (Oh! That was witty on some level. <>)

16. getbent

you are my Jeebus Buck. Yours will sound better than mine unless you play my guitar.

17. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Cool thread, GB.

That post right there just encapsulates what I love about this place. There is something satisfying, or free-ing, or something, about putting some much attention to detail to something that you know so few people care about. Does that make sense?

Put another way, we are all insane, but we are insane in a similar way, and we are insane together. And that strikes me as cool somehow...

18. getbent

Telzilla,
    yup. that is exactly how I feel... when I read that post I thought about my friend Dan who was a custodian at a school I taught at. (he died falling off his bicycle while going very slow in a cul de sac... jest fell because he was going to slow--not drunk-- and hit his head on a manhole cover! tragic to say the least!) Anyway, I meant the THE thing the way Dan used to say it, "rp, people don't seem to understand I am THE custodian (he was a pretty smart guy, way underemployed, and understood the irony and juxtaposition of his 'position' and its relative gravity and importance...

He was a super important part of our school... it was kind of our joke 'I am THE teacher here!' 'I am THE custodian'..... bein' a ranch hand is not bein' boss... so bein' THE ranch hand is the cowboy sardonic way of recognizing ones humble situation...

But, if that was to be lost on folks and they wouldn't get it... best to let it go.

19. hondo76

hondo76 Tele-Holic

not many folks really know what a "ranch hand" REALLY is or does getbent. so im sure it was lost on a few.....but i got it.

20. getbent

hondo, I'd imagine quite a few guys know what a ranch hand is. If you've lived out west or heck, watched cowboy movies... you know what a ranch hand is...

I'd not make too many assumptions about other people you don't know.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.