The Ranch Hand-- Assembling a new guitar

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by getbent, Jan 5, 2009.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm assembling a new guitar I'm calling the ranch hand... a righteous pine body from pinemart, I'm gonna clear coat it with some wipe on... I'm figuring to seal it too.... great pickguard I just got today in honor of my southern california country rock roots... a barden bridge and saddles... 4 way switch... all parts rw neck (it is a beauty) I'll go with old fashioned klusons on it... I think maybe nocasters for now... and then I'll ship it to Brian Friend for a PW bender...

I can't even describe how excited I am about this guitar... lots of little christmas presents coming together!

2. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Neato GB. Keep us posted!

Dan

3. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

What screws for the beautiful pickguard?

4. getbent

I've got stainless for all the screws... RobD says stainless is the way.. and I don't tend to go against him when he has a strong opinion.

hmmm.. but, what do you think? I guess colored ones could be cool.. I hadn't thought about it too much.

5. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

No one will be looking at the screws. Stick with stainless.

Dan

6. getbent

I'm just kind of using this thread to chronicle my progress... I have three guitars I'm working on...

tonight, I got a lot done and was reminded how dumb I am and how I need to use less of everything when I'm working with painting, coating etc... I always think the guitar needs to float in it and it just doesn't.

I got the clear (it has a teence of yellow in it) first coat on the ranch hand tonight... I brushed on the back and was getting freaked out about little hairs and stuff from the brush... so, I ended up wiping it off... and that looked great! so, go figure.... I put some reranch yellow lacquer on the headstock and the back of the neck and was careful NOT to get it on the rosewood.... oy...

I think the wipe on stuff is gonna be cool. it is a 6 hour product... I first did two coats of sanding sealer and sanded using steel wool and that worked really nicely....

The second guitar I've been working on FOR EVER! so frustrating! it is a sherwood green tele with a mint pickup and a rosewood neck... it is gonna be cool... but I have been fussy about the finish... it is my first try at all this... anyway, I have come to a compromise about it... I'm gonna have it finished in two weeks one way or the other... this guitar I got the body from Ben Hefner... I had to do more to the body than I would have hoped on my first one...lesson learned... I got a nice neck from wildwood castle or something off of ebay... it is gonna be a cool guitar....

the third guitar was a bunch of parts and pieces from other guitars... it is white (a squier body) a neck I picked up somewhere... a bill lawrence (really him not the licensed thing) strat neck pickup and a 280 tele bridge pickup... stew mac innards.. a wilkinson bridge... I had it mostly together, but had a problem with the neck and a problem with the electrical installation.... anyway, I had reversed two wires and forgotten one... I must have been tired when I was messing with it before... it was late...

I put on a decal on the body which I'll seal once it is dry... and I'm gonna put "Thanks!" a la Ernest Tubb on the back... haven't decided how to accomplish that yet... but we do two Tubb songs and it would be fun....

the pickups.. once I got them going tonight... holy crap! really good and dry! and a lot of difference between front and back AND middle....

Lots of break throughs tonight... more to come before I'm done... I'll get these guitars done... but all it does it convince me of the real talent buck, jack, the rices, ron kirn, terry, ed, rob and the other builders really have... these are probably my last projects... I'll commission next time! although I think the ranch hand will be my final player... if it is... I'll sell my thinline... it needs to be gigged to be happy and I've kept her busy... but, I don't want her cased.. I want her in a beer joint.

7. WisconsinStrings

WisconsinStrings Tele-Afflicted

I love it! Have you thought about a strap to go with the Ranch Hand? I'm thinking something leather, wide, with lots of metal cowboy type parts.

8. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    a pine body with a bender, that should be fun.

9. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Let's see some progress pics.

10. getbent

gonna use my cow strap from probag.. it is cowfurr and wide... I think it will be cool...

I'll take some pics this afternoon when I get home...

11. getbent

what a mess my workspace is... I'm gonna clean up before I head out tonight... I wanna get these suckers done...

lots of mistakes here friends...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. getbent

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. getbent

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thank god for sandpaper and steel wool... I'm learning I can redo whatever I mess up (kinda)

14. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

The heck with the strap. What kind of boots are you going to wear?

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Doc, don't be afraid to upgrade that Joe Barden bridge. Tap all the holes out to 6-32 and use shorter height screws. It'll save your hands. You may have to enlarge the saddle length screw hole to 9/64ths as well. Irwin 6-32 taps are USA, like $5 or so. Get the hardware from McMaster Carr.

16. getbent

boris,

I've been toying with going to a glendale... would that be an even better solution? I got the barden bridge cheap... I've always preferred the wilkinsons... I'm totally open to suggestions...

also, my giggin' boots are in one of the pics..

17. getbent

workin' on the artwork for the Ranch Hand... any ones jump out at you?

[​IMG]

18. Rooney

Rooney Tele-Meister

I like the bottom right one but the top right one has that kind of stereotypical western text to it too, hmm...

19. getbent

sweet... just got some testors decal paper... and away we go!

20. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

No wait, do the third one down on the right.

Dan

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.