1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Queen’s Gambit

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stubee, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

A head’s up: watched this show on Netflix this week and heartily recommend it to anyone who appreciates a good story and great film making. It’s not about the Queen! It’s the story of a complicated personality, a chess player from her early prodigy days to the biggest world tournaments. The acting and story tension is excellent, and you don’t have to know a single thing about chess to enjoy it.
    71F584AC-2DF9-4998-84B7-803E4FA35A06.jpeg

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Durn. I thought it would be about the Queen.

3. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

My wife and I have been watching it. I'm really enjoying the writing and acting, top notch. I'm having a hard time identifying with the lead character but I'll stick it out for the reasons I already mentioned.

Stubee and telestratosonic like this.
  4. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I’m glad it’s finished where it did. The personality traits exhibited by the main character don’t normally lead to a happy life.

5. fenderfan

fenderfan Tele-Afflicted

Excellent show - thoroughly enjoyed it.

Stubee likes this.
  6. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

Glad you mentioned it, was very good... although speaking for myself, I hope there is no season 2... it feels to me like that would tarnish what they have now.

7. Sequimite

Sequimite Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I binge watched Queen's Gambit Wednesday. Very entertaining, details rang true, but of course completely unrealistic in general. Bobby Fisher is the template because he worked on his own and brought wins back to high level chess which had been mostly draws.

In early 1972, 11th grade, I went to my first chess tournament and won every game, got the 2nd place trophy based on opponents' records.
    Next school year starting in fall of 1972 I went to my second tournament and got my ass kicked. The difference: Bobby Fisher won the World Chess championship that summer and the number of American kids playing chess exploded. The cream rose to the top and I sank to the middle.

8. Tube Life

Tube Life TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Just finished watching the last episode last night with the wife. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Stubee likes this.
  9. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Just finished it the other night. I played chess a bit as a young teenager so my interest was piqued. I liked it. An entertaining, well acted, and engaging story.

10. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Sir Elton?

telestratosonic likes this.
  11. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I watched it and really enjoyed it. It's so real and compelling that I was certain it would be based on a real person I'd just never heard of. I refrained from googling her for a few episodes because I figured I'd get a big spoiler that she died young or lost the big tournament or something. But it's based on a book!

Very cool show.

12. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

Great series with a fantastic story and phenomenal talent in front of and behind the camera. I wish there was more entertainment with this level of quality.

13. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

And it's not about this guy either??? :(

[​IMG]

14. John Backlund

We were wary of it at first, having recently Bailed on 'Ratched' midway through it. We expected 'The Queen's Gambit' to follow suit with, to us, what were overly explicit and gratuitous sex scenes...of every stripe...etc.

Not so with this one.

Oh, it was there, but relatively tastefully implied in all cases, rather than...
    Screenshot_20200815-234350~2.png

We were pleasantly surprised with a great story without all of the apparent contemporarily required excesses...at least outside of a (large) measure of drug and alcohol abuse, that is.

Cursing was at a minimum, and well-placed when it happened.

How the writers managed the orphanage scenes and girl's adoptive parents to not include physical or sexual abuse is quite rare these days, though there's certainly plenty of mental anguish and misery in the mix.

It was a very good story, done very well.

15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

A bit fluffy - designed for bingeing.. and the addiction issues were not done in depth.

I expected a darker story but it was all pretty lightweight and entertaining.

16. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I watched the first episode last night. I thought it was well done.

Durn TDPRI is influencing my TV time.

Stubee likes this.
  17. John Backlund

Refreshingly so.

18. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks, Stubee. Just gave the wife a heads up on your comment and those of others. Piqued her interest. We're always on the lookout for well-crafted Netflix stuff. Jim

Stubee likes this.
  19. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Agreed. I played very amateurish chess back in late HS and college. I can’t remember much except that it’s a great game. My “best” game was played under college kid ‘influences’ when I rather rapidly beat a much better player who’d asked me to play when stopped by one night. I apparently made some moves that completely stymied him but I couldn’t really even tell him where they’d come from. That was about 1972 and was one of my last plays.

I do remember just how big of a deal Bobby Fisher was; front page news, great attention from Life magazine and such. It was quite a historic event as far as my young mind could comprehend.

We talked here about pulling our chess set out (if we can find it) and playing again after a 45 year absence. And yeah, I did tell Mrs. Stubee “they almost never play that fast” in big tournaments. The speed of play did make for viewing good entertainment in the series.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.