1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Psychology Of Littering

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Sep 30, 2020.

1. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

There are microbes out there that eat this debris and they are totally natural . Nature is amazing .

elihu likes this.
  2. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Otterhound, I'm thinking you may not get the level of support you're hoping for on this one.

3. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Yeah, we live in the country and have some young neighbors that think it's their right to deposit their trash (beer cans, soda pop cans, fast food sacks filled with leftovers, cigarette butts, grocery sacks, etc.) in our yard. I can't wait to catch them in the act, collect a bunch of their trash in a trash bag and deposit it in their yard over night. There are about 25 houses grouped together so they won't be able to tell for sure which house the trash is from. Maybe they'll get the hint. Probably not.

Tommy Biggs and PaulNYC like this.
  4. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

@Stringbanger

In the land of the free it's all about me; me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, .............

It's never about US .......

5. stompk

stompk TDPRI Member

I think littering and a ton of other little "crimes against humanity" are a huge result of the "if you punch me, you'll lose everything" laws.

we need to legalize the "good ol punch in the mouth" again.

6. otterhound

I don't need support . No one else was there or endured this . This is my experience , not yours . The bottom line is that this guy should have simply written the ticket when I agreed to it . Everything else is ego , not law . He simply wasn't prepared for my answer to his ultimatum . I was supposed to simply bend to his will and he didn't know how to process anything else . Let me tell you about the time I was charged with hitchhiking after my car let me sit in 10" of snow or the time a local was dispatched to my home to enforce an ordinance that did not exist . How about the time I was sued by the Borough for not getting a building permit for work that did not require a permit ? I did the crime and was willing to pay the price concerning the littering thing . The end .

7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It's called simple a--holism. It seems to be endemic to the human race – and very common in North America, particularly. It also largely seems to correlate with simple stupidity, though one trait is by no means a requirement for the other.

8. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Littering is such a disappointment.

I live on a corner lot; it's not big, just a little over an acre.

I have around 650 feet of frontage on the two streets.

Every time I mow the lawn, I have to first pickup the junk that pigs have have tossed out of their vehicle windows.

I suppose I could just leave it laying there and then shred it up with the mower and blow it all over the neighborhood, but "something" stops me from doing that.

What is that "something"?

I'm not a neat freak, and I'm not some old curmudgeon, and I'm no-one special, but I do have a little bit of pride of ownership (I worked very hard to achieve my little piece of the so-called "American Dream", including the 650 feet that pigs throw their crap on), and I generally also have respect for other people that can only be violated by their own words or actions. I also have a sense of responsibility to do my part in the upkeep of my part of the world.

But I can't muster any respect for the self-centered pigs who make a regular practice of throwing their crap out of their windows.

The littering pigs are a real disappointment. No excuses.

tubegeek, stevemc, Thinliner and 3 others like this.
  9. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

Don't get me started. I HATE litter. Drive along any major UK road these days and the verges will be covered in the stuff, 90% of which will be fast food packaging and empty drinks containers, casually chucked out from cars, vans and lorries.

What I hate about it is not just the sight, which sickens me, but the things it represents. Empty and pointless consumption for the sake of it, excessive packaging, lack of personal responsibility and total lack of respect for the environment.

Stringbanger likes this.
  10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

You don't see national litter campaigns anymore.

I rememeber the Indian actor on a commercial crying when he saw kids throw out their garbage in the river.

11. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

You know, the more I reflect on this phenomenon, the more I have to agree with you @uriah1. Or, at least it’s one of the bigger pieces to the puzzle.

If one was raised seeing their parents chuck stuff out the window, then he/she grows up thinking it’s acceptable behavior.

I used to think that teenagers and young adults were the culprits, but one day I was sitting in my car waiting for an appointment to show. A woman in her 40’s (soccer mom type) drove by and threw her plastic iced tea bottle right in front of me.

uriah1 likes this.
  12. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

When I was a kid in the '60s, my family took several driving vacations across the country. I have enduring memories of the highways completely lined with trash. Parks had one garbage can, and it was always overflowing, if not turned inside out by raccoons and other vermin. Then Johnson's Beautify America campaign hit, and slowly, slowly, people became aware THEY were the problem and things turned around.

They seem to be turning around again, in the wrong direction.

13. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

@JJLC
    Do we have a song here?:eek::D

tubegeek, JJLC and uriah1 like this.
  14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

It's just selfishness/being inconsiderate.
    That's where most all our problems come from

M2roadwarrior and uriah1 like this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You forgot greed. :cool:

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

no, i didn't, see my original post

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  17. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

That was a very long wall of entitlement. Thanks?

stevemc and BelairPlayer like this.
  18. otterhound

Yes , we all are entitled to a certain degree of courtesy .

19. Thorby Bislam

Thorby Bislam Tele-Afflicted

RodeoTex likes this.
  20. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Anal Expulsives, in Freudian terms. Unfortunately, the rest of us have to share the planet with them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.