1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Psychology Of Littering

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I applaud you for helping to keep your area of the road cleaned up. I do the same thing around my house, which for some unknowable reason seems to be the chosen spot for local punks to toss their beer cans out the window. Unfortunately, I don't think PennDOT will give you any of their property. But I'm sure they will let you keep mowing it and picking it up!

boris bubbanov and Stringbanger like this.
  2. RedTele58

RedTele58 Tele-Meister

Pick up trucks.

Around here, every third vehicle is a Ford F-150, and or a Bro-Dozer truck of some type. They throw their trash in the back of the truck and as they drive down the highway, it conveniently gets blown out. No more trash in their truck. Problem solved.

And the local farmers/ranchers are just as bad in their flatbed ranch trucks. The country roads are littered with feed bags, orange twine from bales of hay, empty 5 gallon hydraulic fluid and oil jugs.

I'm constantly picking up trash from in front of my place. It gets old.

Tommy Biggs, Stringbanger and etype like this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

@Frodebro and @burntfrijoles pretty well nailed it, but I'll go a step deeper and suggest that it is a much larger problem of lack of respect. I think this is showing up more and more during this modern era regarding all sorts of issues, beyond the lack of respect for the environment. A sad time indeed and I empathize with @Stringbanger as well as other's disgust.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  4. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Before I put a camper on my Tacoma, often there would be trash in the bed when I got out of a store. Folks use truck beds as their personal trash cans.

I don't always notice, and sometimes I see it blow out as I drove down the road. I never got a ticket for it. I also never went back and picked it up.

Now I have a camper, I don't have that issue.

P Thought likes this.
  5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Huh? Humans have always littered. A huge portion of archaeological research is done with trash from settlements. Just sayin'.

I'm certainly not justifying or advocating for littering. I'm that guy who yells at people at national parks for walking off established walk ways and trails. I'm not even remotely joking. I'm just saying that if human history has taught us anything, it is that humans human.

I'd advocate for violent discipline for people that litter, if I thought it would make any difference.

6. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Because unfortunately, this world is full of self-absorbed buttheads who don't give a crap about other people or the environment. It's all about their convenience.

Stringbanger likes this.
  7. Whatizitman

Years ago on a forum far far away some discussion on smoking came up. I posted that smokers pollute the air and the ground. That didn't go over well with one "highly responsible smoker", who described in detail how he bagged and disposed of his butts.

Man, if you're gonna through that much effort to clean up after yourself..... (feel free to fill in the rest).

And before anyone get the right impression, yes, I hate cigarette smoke. There are very few things I am less tolerant of.

You can imagine how I feel about smokers littering the ground with their butts.

8. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks! And, you are probably right about PennDOT.

The strip of land in question is on the north side. There is also trash along the west side road that we clean up. That road turns off the on ramp to the interstate.

On the south side, there is a dead end road the leads to a couple residences and other businesses, and on the east side there is another business. I never find litter on these borders.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I’ve been thinking about littering more and more these days. I have a puppy, a Weaten Terrier 13 week’s old now. She’s had enough of her shots to be walked. This is no problem around our property. Tiberias can pull out a 6’ cane from the tall grass and carry it back to the porch for dismemberment. Walking her in the neighborhood is different. I’m OK with her bringing home a stick. I’m not OK with her picking up discarded trash. And I’m especially not OK with her picking up the latest litter plague where I live, discarded PPE masks. Why would someone not dispose of a mask properly? It amazes and sickens me.

10. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Ah, a Johnny Dangerously fan. https://www.wordnik.com/lists/swear-words-of-johnny-dangerously

11. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

My county has a terrible litter problem. It is so terrible that I don't think people can throw that much stuff out on purpose, even though I know there are a lot of soulless zombies around.

I think a large percentage may blow out of pickups. This is not an excuse, just a mechanism with a result.

I am in favor of HEAVY fines for littering, including letting it blow out of the back of a pickup.

stevemc, Stringbanger and JL_LI like this.
  12. Whatizitman

Unfortunately, there is little enforcement. And even if there was, threat of fines do very little to prevent.

But prevention is key, as long as its viable. That's why I'm for requiring tests for IQ, literacy, US History and Government/Constitution knowledge for all would be pick up owners.

EDIT: And diversity training for repeat offenders. Just 'cuz.

heh heh "bro-dozer". That's one I hadn't heard yet. I'm gonna make a goal to include it in conversation with someone today, regardless of topic.

stevemc, Stringbanger and RedTele58 like this.
  13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

We have a beautiful river running through our city. My ex and I were walking along it on a perfect spring day and I picked up litter and put it in bins.
    She must have thought I was an oddball or something, or, maybe admired me for my being civil.

Stringbanger likes this.
  14. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Good lookin' out, that was a powerful PSA. Interesting that he wasn't even American Indian, but Italian, but I'll be honest and admit I didn't know until the Sopranos episode with the Columbus day issues. ;)

Stringbanger likes this.
  15. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

The way they were raised, I assume.

Probably along the lines of folks using the disabled parking spaces

Stringbanger likes this.
  16. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've been to Singapore a few times. At that time anyway (30 years ago) if you got caught littering not only did you have to go out and pick up trash, you had to wear a huge yellow jump suit so that everyone going by would know exactly what you'd done. I recall one time being in an elevator and a guy came in with a lit cigarette which is strictly no-no but he must have been a scofflaw.

Tommy Biggs and Stringbanger like this.
  17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Some of us, actually are.

I'd take a break and walk outside my office building in metro New Orleans and see lots of littering freshly done to the grounds around my office. I'd go inside and work on a bill to eliminate shell dredging in the Lake, and let the guy I had hired look after the littering. The worst litterers that I found in Louisiana who actually had jobs, tended to work for Chemical Plants. And were the ones who never fished nor hunted.

This is all interlocking. If you use a truck, not a bicycle, to get to work, you don't see any of this. But of all of them, people who smoke tobacco and drink a lot of canned and bottled beverages, are the worst. And are the same suckers injecting liquid waste into well bores and letting their waste cooking grease drain into the creek.

18. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Supposedly rubber from tires is a really pad pollution problem we just don't really see it because the pieces are so small it's basically the same as dust or dirt to our eyes.

Once everyone is driving an electric car the rubber "emissions" will supposedly the biggest source of pollution from the cars.

Whether it's actually that bad depends on exactly what the rubber is I guess.

The biggest things I see with littering is nips thrown in my yard from people taking public transportation. This year the bus stop got moved and it's no longer in front of my house, it's 30 yards off my property, hopefully that reduces the amount in our yard.

Also.. I'm not sure any one litters more than fisherman... any place I go to fish the litter is insane. I try really hard not to add to it. A lot of the time I go home with free fishing gear.. someone hooks the tree or something and can't even be bothered to cut their hooks and lures out of the branches. That stuff costs money! And then they tangle their line and leave 10-50ft of tangled monofilament just sitting on shore. I really need to start remembering to bring a big trash bag. I salvage lures/hooks/bobbers/sinkers and throw them in my tacklebox but usually I don't have a way to carry out big tangles of line.

If you learn your knots well you usually won't leave line in the water too..

19. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

It's not a recent phenomenon.

The picnic scene in Mad Men made me irrationally angry.

[​IMG]

20. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

It was a very complicated scenario . Please prepare to be bored by a very long and twisting true story .
    It was a Saturday and I was working at the Armstrong Innovation Center . I wanted to complete this job so I started at 6 AM . I don't recall exactly what time I finished , but it was in the afternoon . I had no breaks or lunch . When I was finished , I was so hungry that I was literally shaking , so I decided to stop at the McDonalds along the way for something to eat that I could get quickly . I had a very sore back due to an injury years before and could not stand straight up without great difficulty . This issue would come and go randomly as time passed . I entered the drive through lane and upon gaining the necessary place , presented my order . The order was a Quarter Pounder with ketchup and onions only , large fries , large hot tea and an apple pie . It took 3 attempts to make it clear to the person taking the order that I only wanted ketchup and onions on the Quarter Pounder . Order placed , advance to pick up window . Receive order and pull forward to eat . Park in a designated parking space . I began throwing fries down my throat as I began to steep the tea bag . Upon opening the paper that contained the burgeons , I found a Quarter Pounder with cheese and everything . I threw some more fries down my throat and exited the truck that I own . In fact , I own the business . Because of the extreme difficulty in standing straight up , I walked over to the entrance hunched over . I walked up to the left side of the counter and waited for the attendant to complete her to current order . At that point , I handed her the buyer and calmly explained that I had ordered this with ketchup and onions only . This time , it only require 2 times to convince the attendant that I wanted ketchup and onions only , nothing else . I waited as it was prepared , received the replacement and hobbled back to the truck where I removed the bag from my tea , stirred in the sugar and threw some more fries down my throat . Upon opening the box containing the burger , I found a Quarter Pounder with ketchup only . 3 tiny dots of ketchup and 3 pieces of onion each about 1/4" in length and thin enough to read through . Realizing that my dog would likely not be able to taste the ketchup or onions , I tossed it out . This was followed by the paper it was wrapped in the the bag that contained the original order . I began to consume what remained . As I was doing this , I caught motion to my left and looked over to see a Pa State Police badge . His exact words were " How would you like a $300.00 littering fine " . I responded with OK . At this point , I was OK with paying the fine and moving on . This is when the lecture about Earth Day ( Earth Day was in 3 days )and the attempt to coerce me into getting out and picking up what I had tossed . I had already made my decision on this . The officer then walked to the back of my truck in what , to me , was to record the license number . My phone number is on the door that he had just walked away from . Anyway , I tried to give him my drivers license and he refused to take it . During this interaction , I heard him say that he was going to see if he could get a ticket to write this on . This confused me because , in Pa , State Police officers write tickets . They don't ask for tickets to write . Anyway , he lectured again and I said no . He walked back to the store and I just wanted to explode , but I knew better , so I got out of the truck , picked up the burger patty , smashed it against a window and smeared it all the way down to the bottom of the window . After this , I returned to my truck and drove back to the shop . This all took place in my red 12' stake body F350 Ford .
    The following day , Sunday , found me at the Linear Park in Lititz setup up a backstop/dugout guard job site and digging the holes . I use my green 9' stake body F350 Ford to pull the trailer that hauls my 8N Ford tractor wit an auger attachment . I needed to return to my shop , drop both the trailer and tractor and return to the site to clean up the dirt . Yes , my back still hurt , but this had to be done . Since rain was coming , it was now or whenever possible . I stopped at the light for the intersection of High St and Main St for a red light . It was roughly noon Sunday . While waiting for the light to change , I noticed what appeared to be a State Police unmarked car behind me and the driver looked familiar . The light turned green and I turned left as did the car behind me . When I go to the alley , I turned left as did the car behind me . I ten made the left at Hart St and began the process of unloading both the tractor and trailer while the car turned into the church parking lot aside of my shop and stopped there . I thought nothing of it until the car stopped beside me and the driver asked if this was the Eyman Fence Co . I told him that it is . He then asked if we had met before and I acknowledged that we had met the day before at McDonalds . He then asked me if I worked here and I told him that I am the Eyman Fence Co . The look on his face at that moment was priceless . I continued to work as he followed me around like a lost puppy while he continued to lecture me . Finally , I asked him if he had picked what I had tossed out . He seemed confused about this . After asking this 2 or 3 more times , he confirmed that he had left my litter lie . I then told him that as far as I was concerned , he was just as guilty as me . I still had no ticket . It arrived days later with a $156.00 fine . I called a hearing knowing full well that I would lose , but it only cost me $5 and I took this psycho off the streets for that period of time . At the hearing , the Magistrate reacted openly when I described my smashing and sliding of the patty with had he known that , he would have made the fine the maximum . Now for some clarity . The off duty State Police officer was a fire marshall . In Pa , fire marshalls , even State Police fire marshalls don't have ticket books , so he needed to ask someone else for one of their tickets to write the violation . Of course , I didn't know that at the time and I am willing to bet that you didn't either . What was this man doing at my place of business at noon on a Sunday ? Wouldn't 7 AM Monday morning make more sense . It was a pure stroke of fate that I worked that day and arrived at my shop at that time on that day , let alone in my other truck which he did not recognize . Why did he refuse to accept my ID at the very beginning ? I know the answers to all of these and they have nothing to do with the law .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.