The Psychology Of Littering

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Sep 30, 2020.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The answer is simple. Too many people are inconsiderate, irresponsible and believe that rules and good behavior don't apply to them. They are not bound by convention because nothing should abridge their rights, privileges and personal "freedom". Of course, the more simple explanation is that some might be described by comparison to a feminine hygiene apparatus. DB is going to DB.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  2. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

They kinda stole that story from Arlo Guthrie, and his famous story/song Alice's Restaurant, on the bench with the Mother rapers and Father stabbers and Father rapers and Mother stabbers!

3. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Back in my mountain bike riding days
    I would do trail maintenance every week on my day off.
    I would pick up a bag of trash every week, all discarded by fellow bikers.
    Woof. Pack it out!

M

4. Broadmoor74

Broadmoor74 Tele-Meister

Littering is a gateway crime.

5. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

One thing that I see a LOT of is cigarette butts. There are still TONS of smokers here in Hawaii. When I was still a stupid smoker, I would never toss my butts on the ground.

6. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

The littering fine in PA is 100.00-300.00 depending on the offense, but its enforcement is negligible.

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think the penalty should be 150 hours of community service-picking up litter-for the first offense. And then ramp it up from there.

8. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Years ago it was very common to see littered 8-track tape cartridges strewn along the roads and highways, usually followed by a hundred feet or so of 8-track tape.

9. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

The scum of the earth, who create scum on the earth.

10. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a quarter mile of road frontage. It seems I'm one beer away from the local convenience store.

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Remember don't bogart that butt. In the old movies you'd see Bogie grind out a smoke with his shoe on what appeared to be some kind of carpet. On our way home from the golf course today we saw quite a lot of litter along an off ramp that had not been there the last time we passed by. I remarked to my wife, just think, the people who threw all of the junk out alongside the road were once someone's child and were loved. My wife said, you know you ARE goofy.

12. 1293

My wife's company does a roadside cleanup on Earth Day. I can't tell you how many butts I've picked up. I worked in a supermarket as a kid. People would stomp them out on the floor back then.

Stringbanger likes this.
  13. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I am a convicted litterbug and proud of it . You see , my off duty State Police Fire Marshall was caught off guard when he approached me and laid down the ultimatum . I accepted and he was lost . He was not prepared for my willingness to accept responsibility for my terrible crime . The next day , it was a Sunday , he came to my place of business at around noon . Don't know what he expected to find there , but I could have easily recommended Monday morning in order to find someone there . As it was I was returning from a job site to which I would return to remove the dirt that I had just removed from the post holes with my tractor and auger . Had he only accepted my ID the day before , he may have been intelligent enough to figure out that I am the owner of the truck and the entire business . I guess he was going to check the location out before confronting my boss about my terrible crime and possibly getting me fired . Since I am the boss , he was SOL . When this got to the District Magistrate , the Magistrate was aghast as I described my picking up the burger patty , pressing it against the glass and sliding it down the glass . He then stated that had he known this before , the fine would have been the maximum . Guess it really was about me not cow towing to the officers will instead of tossing a piece of meat and 2 pieces of paper from my truck . For myself , it was worth the inconvenience and $5 just to remove this idiot from the general public for a period of time . Either way , it was a mere inconvenience to me and I could easily afford the fine . By the way , the off duty officer that was so offended by this left my litter lay . I guess it wasn't really that important to him either as litter . No doubt it was important to his ego . I go go into the details , but I won't . Suffice it to say that his ego was far more important than my litter .
    Food for thought . Have you ever wondered why there aren't piles of rubber lining highways across this land . After all , tires do wear and that stuff needs to go somewhere .

14. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Non filtered cigarettes are not litter .

15. 1293

I've thrown a cigarette back in a car.

16. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I am having a hard time understanding this story. I mean no offence, I really can't follow the narrative.

Doorlord, stevemc, Thinliner and 8 others like this.
  17. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I have a bad attitude when it comes to littering. I have thrown a few cigarette butts back into cars. That really upsets people. Unfortunately, I'm often driving when it happens, so I have to settle for verbal message reinforcement instead, usually punctuated with some rudimentary sign language that even idiots instinctively understand. For whatever reason, people who would never think about littering any other item don't seem to think that the rules apply to their cigarette butts,

A couple of years ago I was leaving a large commercial shopping development that has just two roads leading in and out. I was all loaded up with my Costco items and was following a work truck whose driver threw their entire cache of Chick Fil A wrappers and bags out the window. The access road to this development is at least a mile long, so I had to follow the guy quite a ways. I dialed the number on his work truck to let the company know that some jackhole driving around in one of their trucks was disrespecting the environment and the good name of their business by throwing trash out the window. I could see the guy in the truck pick up and answer the phone, so I explained to him what I saw. The guy thanked me and said he'd talk to the guy at the end of the day. I beeped my horn and waved when he looked in the rear view mirror, telling him, "yeah, that's me right in back of you." I have to give the guy props. It didn't faze him one bit and his tone never changed. I guess its just a way of life for him.

Tommy Biggs and Stringbanger like this.
  18. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I was taught not to litter ...

My Dad was a commissioned US Navy Officer...

19. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

I have lost count of the number of times I've been behind a vehicle with bumper stickers saving the whales and oh, how much they care about the earth...and a cigarette butt or other trash gets tossed out the window.

Hypocrite bastages.

People that toss their butts on the ground--I call them TWIMAs (The World Is My Ashtray). They too are bastages of the lowest order.

Way to go, ya TWIMA. Your parents must be soooo proud.

20. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

I dont think theres any psychological thinking, it's just damn laziness!

Sounds Good and Stringbanger like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.