1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Psychology Of Littering

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

In the front of our business, there is a strip of land, about an 1/8 to a 1/3 mile long by about an average of 30 feet wide. Even though it’s owned by the state, we maintain (mow) it.

A friend recently pointed out to me that, if I contacted the state, and explained to them that we have maintained this strip since 1996, that they would award us the said strip of land as our own.

The strip of land borders our property on one side, and the entrance ramp to an interstate on the other side.

Before we mow, someone, and sometimes it’s me, has to take a golf cart out and pick up all the disgusting litter that dipsticks have tossed from their vehicles. WTH!

The question is why? Why can’t they keep it in their car, like in a plastic bag, and then dispose of it at their place. No, that would be too much effort. I’ll just toss it out the window and let someone else pick it up.

Can anyone explain this thought process?

Rant over? I dunno.:cool::D:eek:

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Basically, an awful lot of people are self-centered, entitled little soulless toads who don't care about anybody but themselves. Littering comes from the same mindset as illegally parking in handicapped spots, taking a full cart into the express checkout line, and not thanking somebody for holding the door for them (while letting it slam in the face of the person behind them).

3. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

littering is low

4. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Back in the late eighties early nineties I was stationed in Hawaii on Oahu. One of the public offices ran an ad on the regular: 3 guys in a jail cell , 2 big scary guys and a clean cut little guy in a suit. One of the big scary guys says to the other “what you in for?” He says something like “assault and battery “ how about you” the other big scary guy says something like “breaking and entering and resisting arrest”, finally they both ask the well dressed guy , he says “littering “ - the two big guys give him the stink eye and move to the bench on the other side of the cell in disgust! Will never forget this, I hate litterers small and large scale (corporate)

5. Stringbanger

A fairly good assessment there.

We have found discarded bottles of urine, presumably by truckers, who sometimes park their rigs to sleep.

Candy wrappers, beer cans and bottles, coffee cups, drink cups, you name it.

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I thought you explained it pretty well right after you asked the question...

It's pretty much the same as other kinds of pollution, at all scales: privatize the benefit, socialize the cost.

7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I've worked with several people in the past who were spouse's mentality of "not my problem anymore".

Personally, I've only littered with beer cans. Mostly because I didn't want to be pulled over with them, plus there used to be people who walked the roads picking up empties as a revenue source.
    Apparently none of us so that anymore.

rangercaster and Stringbanger like this.
  8. 53Strat

53Strat Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Keep looking - you might find a letter with someone's name on it.

Hand it to the cops, someone might become famous out of it.

I guess there aren't that many litterers as talented as Arlo around these days. :)

9. Maicobmw

Maicobmw TDPRI Member

I recall litter along roads and highways growing up in the sixties as being really bad and then it generally got much better as people got a clue. But it does seem like the population of morons who don't give a hoot has spiked lately.

10. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Somehow, they've gotten the message loud and clear that's it's just fine to be an entitled whiny thoughtless jerk. Can't imagine where they found a role model for that.

11. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Nailed it.

12. Frodebro

It's something that's been going on for a couple of decades now, and I'm not really sure where it started-let alone becoming so widespread. I do know that kids are being raised in a much different manner than most of us older folks were, and it's definitely a bit of a culture shock to have to deal with it in person.

Stringbanger and tubegeek like this.
  13. Frodebro

(sniff) That was beautiful, man...

Alamo, DaphneBlue, MickM and 11 others like this.
  14. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

You gotta love that guy's moves.

15. Frodebro

Honestly, I was kinda hoping one of the door kicks would have squished the litterbug's skull in the doorframe.

16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I was taught as a kid in the ‘50s that throwing litter out the car window was wrong but Mom throwing cigarette butts out the window was OK. Don’t ask.

17. Stringbanger

Cigarette litter accounts for about one third of the world’s litter. This practice is/was emboldened by Hollywood movies showing movie stars throwing their butts to the curb.

18. Stringbanger

“Little soulless toads”. I love it!:lol:
    9CA0C906-4BA3-42D5-AC27-CF13C027415D.jpeg

19. Frodebro

That's the nice version. My original draft resulted in nothing but asterisks, so I had to clean it up a touch.

20. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I was in the first generation of kids who grew up with that Iron Eyes Cody ad. It stuck.

It was also necessary, because littering in the years prior to 1971 was unreal. Not just roadways, everywhere, but I do remember the sides of highways, esp exits and on-ramps, just blanketed with garbage. It was nothing to see someone toss a McDonalds cup (or whole bag) out of the window.

Do people still do it? Yeah... but it's not as if they just started. It was way worse when I was a kid, and way worse in my old man's generation before that, with comparatively little social stigma attached to it in either generation. Witness this thread. The kids are alright.

P Thought, tubedood, getbent and 7 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.