1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The PRS snob.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Oct 29, 2012.

1. smallstoner

smallstoner Tele-Meister

They're obviously good guitars. I mean people don't spent that kind of money for unplayable junk.

I generally find them to be aesthetically not my thing. Too pretty, I guess, just not in a way that I find pretty. And the horns on their double-cuts look really odd to me. If I had the money, I'd buy something else... a Rick, probably. That's my kind of pretty. But that wouldn't make me a "Rick snob," just a guy with a nice guitar. I wouldn't take the opportunity to lord it over the Squier-lovers. That's lame.

There are guitar snobs, no doubt, and they're huge pains in the ass. I don't really think they get more or less annoying depending on the brand they're stuck on. It can be really grating for someone to diss you, essentially, for not having enough money. A guy in a Mercedes laughing at your Hyundai kinda needs a punch in the face, sure. But only if he actually is making fun of your Hyundai, and you're not just projecting that image onto him because of your own feelings of inadequacy.

I see a lot of projection in this thread. Honestly, how many people actually say to you, "My PRS is so awesome, all other guitars are garbage, and you are a lesser person because you rock a Tele"? How many have said, "my Agile is BETTER than your $3,000 Gibson"? Or were they just saying how happy they were to have found a really decent guitar that they can afford?

2. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah man! I agree with you on both Clapton and Bonamassa.

3. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

the genius of Henry J is him going back to the Norlin era

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Five pages ? Who starts these stupid treads anyway ?

Really I don't hate PRS.
    I just don't care for the additude some people have about the stuff they own. Could be they're car, pickup, house, boat, accordian or whatever. Just happen to be a guy with a PRS that rubbed me the wrong way this time.

5. StratBluesRock

StratBluesRock Friend of Leo's

:lol: Sorry, just had to.......:D

6. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Tele-Meister

Are you in it for the ride or the chrome?

My friends all ride Harleys, I ride a Kawasaki. My friends have no problem with me riding a metric bike, but I have had someone tell me, "I wouldn't ride unless I could ride a Harley". My question was, "so you really don't care about the 'ride' itself?" I love Harleys and will have one someday, but the most important thing to me is to be out and riding.

Same thing with guitars. I have no problem with people that have upper-end gear, as long as they are in it for the "ride". And if you buy the guitar to be a wall hanger? Not a damn thing wrong with appreciating art either. Just don't buy it for "LOOK AT ME!".

7. Sherpa

Sherpa Tele-Holic

Part of my post was a lame tongue-in-cheek play on a more Freudian state of envy...:D

On a more serious note, though, I do consider PRS to be one of the very few mass-manufactered guitars I'd buy new from a dealer website - their QC is amazing.

I own one PRS, a '99 CU22 AP. It's a fantastic player, and needs very little tweaking despite the high level of humidity our island has.

It is, however, very "pretty", though shy of being bling, despite the gold hardware (which has finally tarnished enough to look ok to my eyes).

Bling doesn't do much for me, so I tend to focus on playability and sound, which my CU22 does deliver in spades. Other PRS guitars I've played may have more or less character, but they all share a common level of workmanship and attention to detail which seems to elude Fender and Gibson.

Before I get *****-slapped for that last comment, here's a shot of my current stable, which does include a couple of Fenders, along with a pair of alternatives to my favourite Gibson models..

[​IMG]

FWIW, the affectation of pluralising PRS as "PRSi" strikes me as being prissy and precious (and I'm trying to be magnanimous, here!), but that's just me...

8. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

You have beautiful guitars. What are those two on the bottom right? I like them a lot, even though some folks might refer to them as coffee-table guitars because of the fine wood finish.

9. Sherpa

Sherpa Tele-Holic

Thanks, kelnet - they're Nathan Sheppard NSG25s. The one on the left is a single piece of mahogany, with an IR neck. The other one's mahogany with a walnut top and cocobolo fretboard. Both have Gotoh h/w and Bare Knuckle pups.

The first one is actually quite plain-looking, and rings like a bell.
    [​IMG]

I agree with you that the walnut and cocobolo combination is a bit coffee table-like, but the triple P90 madness allows me to give it the benefit of the doubt.. ;)

[​IMG]

10. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

Just to keep some perspective, there are USA made PRSs that cost about the same as the new Fender American Vintages. A regular CS team built Nocaster costs more than my DGT Goldtop that I put up a pic of earlier in the thread. And there are PRSs that cost a lot more, just as there are Masterbuilt Teles that cost a lot more.

11. B.G.L.

B.G.L. Tele-Meister

There's a good interview with Paul Reed Smith on the Guitar Player magazine website. Regardless of what you think of the guitars, the man himself is quite passionate about what he does. It's clear that there's a lot more going on than mere "bling".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.