1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The PRS snob.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Oct 29, 2012.

1. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Yup - I don't think price has anything to do with it. There are just some people who think that whatever decision they made, whether that's which sport team to follow, which political party to support, or which guitar to buy is the right one and that everyone who makes a different choice is not as smart as them.

It's not snobbery - it's narcissism.

2. DuncanAngus

DuncanAngus Tele-Afflicted

I have to admit to being a Martin snob when it comes to acoustics. The 1st 5 years I played guitar, I played strictly acoustic and owned some bad, BAD ones. A hundred (or 2) bucks back then bought you some serious junk, but who knew?? One day in a local shop I picked up a D-18, strummed it and it was like the skys parted. Guy let me put it on lay-away and saved every penny I could scrounge for 6 months till it was paid off. Just kind of a situation that instilled serious brand loyalty in me.

Not sure I get the whole PRS thing and while I think some are beautiful instruments, even playing them doesn't really make my heart go all-aflutter.

To each his own.

3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

That's it! Yes. It's the whole, "Aren't I special for making this purchasing decision?" thing. Whether it's refusing to buy brand new, or refusing to pay full price, or refusing to go along with what's popular, or refusing to buy the expensive model, there's a definite narcissistic quality about some folks, and it's usually tinged with a sense of superiority. But you're right. It's not snobbery - it's narcissism, and there's a whole lot of going around.

4. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

I often wonder how the popular view of PRS guitars (I'm not going to attempt to pluralise "PRS", it's too fraught with danger) would be different if someone cool like, say, Neil Young or Dave Grohl played one instead of Chad Kroeger.

5. StratBluesRock

StratBluesRock Friend of Leo's

I'm not a PRS fan but Santana clearly likes em a lot.

6. doof

doof Tele-Holic

i wish i had the money to be a PRS snob, then i'd spend it all on teles.

7. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

They are guitars, like any other. No point in over dramatizing...Smith brought a twist, we can't deny him that..I love my strat and Tele and Les Paul too. Why should I hate the Mccarty if it sounds good, and is not that expensive? It's not perfect because no Guitar ever will be. Some of the PRS are a bit overdone to some tastes, but Fender and Gibson has plenty of that. The over relic'ing like in some fenders, the premium you pay on a 59 reissue les Paul, etc..all that is snobbery too. I'm saying all that because I was stupid enough to dismiss prs for years based on prejudice and vanity.

8. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

A lot of PRS owners just collect them.. But the finish on them is very durable. Fender's answer to PRS was the now discontinued the Select Series..

9. homesick345

The relic craze is way more pretentious, snob and laughable than anything prs ever did. That is my humble opinion. Paying big bucks as a premium, to have your instrument scratched and dented, yeah right. This can appear as dementia. It's more normal to want a shiny new instrument, than to want am artificial polish of professionalism and mileage that the relic customers think they are getting, and might utterly lack...

10. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Damn.... 4 pages of this.... wow.... just wow....

11. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

birds, dragons, moons ...

is it a J.R.R. Tolkien signature model?

12. hal

hal Tele-Afflicted

The David Grissom(DGT) is a PRS that a Tele player could love.

13. homesick345

Well some are quite plain with no binding

14. homesick345

15. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

You guys are too funny!:p

Do you like nice cars, nice homes , nice clothes, nice art? Nice motor bikes? nice scenery? How about pretty ladies?!

I love Teles too, but come on, Prs makes a nice guitar, let's have a little tolerance for the other kind, and those who like them!!!

Try real hard not to be a Tele snob, you can do it!

:p

Yea yea, I know your response... dont worry about it.... I love my PRS.:lol:

16. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

That just convinced the PRS-haters that Santana was now totally uncool.

Hell, Merle Haggard could play a PRS, and people would just argue that he must have gotten an endorsement deal, and that he's only playing it for the money.
    Keith Richards could play one, and the haters would just say that the fall from the coconut tree affected his thinking.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, can convince a PRS-hater that they are really good guitars. You gotta admire that kind of commitment to a position. :lol:

17. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Santana is part of the probelm , not the solution.

Its similar to the Clapton sounds better on a Gibson debate, a lot of people including me thinks he sounds way better on Gibsons. Now, there are other players that make Strats sound great, (Bonamassa sounds better on Fenders than Gibson IMO for example) so we dont dismiss Strats. But with PRS I dont know of any other sounds except the one Santana gets and I much prefer his 70s stuff.

18. StratBluesRock

StratBluesRock Friend of Leo's

Haha. And I've played a USA Custom 24 and while it was very well made and sounded good, I didn't really like it. Too modern for my tastes, haha.

19. homesick345

Traditional tones are more in the Mccarty than the custom series. Also I heard and tried a 514 and it was beautiful sounding.

20. DuncanAngus

DuncanAngus Tele-Afflicted

The PSR singlecut with the soapbars gives me GAS.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.