1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The PRS snob.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Oct 29, 2012.

1. onetruegeorge

onetruegeorge TDPRI Member

It's funny; I worked in instrument retail for years, and most of the PRS guys I knew were gigging musicians who played them because they liked the sound and feel. A lot of the guys who had more money than talent and who just wanted something expensive to show off went with custom shop Gibsons - usually Les Pauls. Personally, I never understood how criticisms of PRS for being gaudy and expensive don't apply to, say, flame-topped R9s costing twice as much.
    Not saying either company is better than the other, or that anything's wrong with playing/loving them; just marveling at how much stereotypes can be detached from reality.

2. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

The very first PRS I ever saw was in about 1980, and it was owned by Howard Leese of Heart. I asked him "what is that weird double cutaway electric guitar you are playing on this tour" and he explained it was a custom-made thing by a guy named Paul Reed Smith... way before he went "retail"

3. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

There is a definite arrogance on the part of Gibson, borderline felonious, it was Gibson that started the outrageous retail prices in the mid nineties. The lawsuits, etc...as for quality, Gibson isn't the 8th wonder of the world neither...

4. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

At the time I bought that PRS I was choosing between a reissue Les Paul (which I think they now refer to has pre-historics) and the PRS. The PRS was far more of a guitar.

5. renhoek

renhoek TDPRI Member

While PRS guitars aren't exactly my cup of tea, I must say I've never met a PRS snob. Some Rickenbacker owners, however... *shudder*

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

PRS guitars are very pretty. Pretty guitars don't bother me at all.

I think that the PRS SE's raised the bar for fit & finsh on $500 imports. That's a good thing.

I had two SE's (8 years ago??). They became stepping stones for Gibson purchases. I sold the SE's & kept the Gibsons.

Why do people get angry about a brand? The strangest thing (to me) about PRS is when guys get all fumed about them. If it were a girl I would think that you had a crush on the girl. Talking about something over and over and noticing it and not being able to let go of the focus.

I think some of you guys are PRS frustrated. You wanna smootch a PRS guitar.

If someone loves their PRS then let them. Let them display their love.

7. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

I've always been an acoustic only player until just recently. I was at a friend's house and he had an electric guitar sitting out. He let me play it for a little while and then said "Why don't you take it home and play it for a while; I never play it."

I took it home and had it sitting around the house for a few days, picking it up to play it whenever the mood struck. I decided to do a little research on the guitar and it turns out it was a 1980's (pre-factory) PRS Custom 24. Apparently they are VERY valuable.:eek:

I put it carefully back in its case and gave it back to him the next day.

8. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

My only problem with PRS is I don't find them pretty or aesthetically appealing at all, guess I'm a looks snob and their "look" just doesn't suit my taste. From what I remember they're fine playing guitars though, I typically roll right past them to the fender section (which could be accused of having some high priced 'snobby' guitars of its own I suppose)

9. 20721

20721 Former Member

Like 'em a lot, and boy are they pretty, but over the last year I have learned the hard and somewhat expensive way that I just don't like a guitar with a scale length shorter than 25.5 inches. Probably has something to do with being a bassist. I took it upon myself to build a couple of doublecut LP Jrs. (like the look) with a single bucker in the back and the 25.5 scale length and I'm keeping those two. Whooooeee!

As far as snobs - every guitar has it's snob following. Way of the world, guys.

10. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

They're mostly too ornate for my taste, the 'plainer' ones look better to me. I've never played a PRS, though. Does it have a distinctive sound? I always think they're gonna be like Les Pauls.

11. earoach

earoach Tele-Meister

When I went to buy my Vox AC4, the guy had a PRS lying in a chair, probably several grand worth. Handed to me when I went to plug in, said "have a ball" and walked back up front. Probably one of the nicest guitars I've ever held, and here this guy lets some CL flunkie use it to test the little Vox. I bought the Vox. Really nice guy.

12. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

This thread makes me want to try a mccarty.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

13. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

im pretty sure Henry J cured the Gibson Snob phenomenom.

14. StratBluesRock

StratBluesRock Friend of Leo's

I'm glad I play a Greco Les Paul and not a Gibson..............

15. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I love my PRS SC 250.. I love my MIM Classic Jazzmaster.. I love both my Les Paul's and my ES 135...My SG classic P90 is to die for. My USA and MIM teles rock hard... My Ricky rules...My USA and MIM Strats are go to guitars... I have a lot more but what I'm trying to get at is I dont buy a instrument unless I love it. I play well and all these instruments I own are colors and tools... I've met too many players that can barely play that have " opinions" on whats best. Nothing is best and in this day and age ( I'm 58 and have played since the late 60's ) we are without a doubt in the golden age of guitars. Buy what you love and dont worry about what someone else loves...Worry about how to play music on it.

16. jeremypodom

jeremypodom Tele-Afflicted

I'm totes cool with anyone loving their guitar. I'm NOT cool with them belitting other guitars and saying none will be as good as theirs.

17. homesick345

Yes, do that. It's a great great guitar.

18. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i browsed through this thread. im pretty much a hermit and where i live is just snow birds which have just started to show up. so welcome back snowbirds. from what i understand, prs. invented the desire to pay more for pretty wood with calling them 10 tops, private reservs, fancy inlays. but iv also read his guitar bridges the sonic gap between a les paul, and a strat. so it seems to me it has its place in the band. my back ground in is in custom longbows, and recruves, and yes you can charge more for pretty wood not that does anything fro performance. why, because people will pay more for it. ( natural figured wood is just something that i think links us back to our stone age days i dunno, maybe to much LSD in the 60s got into our DNA. laughs) i have a strat copy that has a plastic fretboard. id take that fretboard material over any wood. yet that is so taboo.
    seems guitars are stuck in the past when there materials out there that could improve the overall sonic/playability stability. but when marketers keep pushing a 63 strat. you sure aint gonna get a laminated neck with carbon fiber support rods, and a polimer plastic fretboard material which you could get to look like any kind of figured wood. and as i understand it the sustain comes more from the type of bridge/string material, and magnets in pickups for electric guitars than wood. if this is true. sorta makes sense why all the old gibson jr with the wrap around compensated bridge, all them guitars sustain for ever it seems. seems more the mass of the bridge with compensated saddles, which PRS seems to have got right. has more to do with sustain, than the wood the guitar is made up of, since the magnets are trying grab the string to kill the sustain. ( so in my mind im thinking, string material, bridge style/mass, scale length magnet type used in the pickups has more to do with a guitars overall tone while plugged into a amp) i know the parker fly is one example of using new materials, i did get to try one, and the horn poked me in the chest talk about not comfy to play sitting down. but i really like the plastic polimer fretboard feel so slippery fast. wish more company's offered such but its maple, rosewood, or ebony, or baked maple now. gibson may have one semi hollow with a polimer fretboard i bet that is a player, anyone looking at it wold think it was ebony.. you could make it look like any kind of wood you want and no one wold even know.

so i bring this up because i read the reason prs became popular is because they were engineer correct and they also fit a sonic range a strat, nor a gibson had in the band.
    in the latest catalog from one of the online guitar stores,it showed prs is coming out with a new pickup. which leads me to one more question. does PRS not sell there pickups out side of there guitars. i get the impression they do not as when they pop up on ebay they go for a quick 400.00. trippy, are they that good? i dunno so many variables,so many traditions, things will stay the same. like gibson head stock i saw how much wood is holding that neck from breaking, why do they not just scarf the joint and fix it the problem. and be done with it. o yeah, because then it would not be a true les paul right? yet how many of them you hear on stage every night had the head stock fixed. i understand tradition, but sometimes you have to move forward, you can keep your roots, but,im just rambling now... damn pain meds. guess safe to say im not a prs snob, nor have i played one, nor do i know what there neck name relate to in thickness. i guess i should go check my cake. could not sleep stupid pain, and had a craving for cake so i baked one. shares with all :)
    since i did not address the snob at all and my whole train of thought does not compute to the subject, ill just say, there are snobs in every hobbie. :)
    chris.

p.s
    of course all this goes out the window minus the fretboard material for acoustics iv learn, wood matters there.

19. homesick345

PRS - my McCarty at least - sounds like a Les Paul "done right"...Very true, the pickups are totally remarkable.

While keeping the warmth, mellowness & punch we come to love in our Gibsons; the PRS neck positions is airy, broad, fat in a marvelously yummie clear way, & the bridge pickup is also full, rich, super nice & cutting.

I dunno what PRS done there, they nailed it. He got rid of muddiness we come to encounter in Gibsons sometimes, without sacrificing character & fatness. Mine is a 2000, so I'm talking about that.

I did try a PRS Custom 22, at gigs, did not like it. Could not really cut or be heard. It did not like ME would be a better way to put it - others sound great through it.

20. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

It's funny, but I never see this from owners of expensive guitars. I see this stuff from owners of low-priced guitars.
    "My Squier CV blows away everything else."
    "My Agile LP is way better than a $3000 Gibson."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.