1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The PRS snob.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Oct 29, 2012.

1. colorado

colorado Tele-Holic

What about people who talk about their "vintage" 80s gear?

Vintage 80s??!!???

:confused:

This is meant to impress me? Pass the Grey Poupon.

2. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

A dent on a PRS is -200 bucks.. A dent on a Fender is + 50 bucks :D

Snobs got more money than sense maybe? :idea:

3. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

He gets several a year and can't let you review one? Oh the snobbery!

:D

4. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

i hate PRS and every thing they represent, the "i" when plural makes me want to stick a branch up my butt....

but! I almost bought a mira about 4 months ago. It was a single p90 type LP junior-ish for $500. The neck was the deal breaker-did not like it.

I got an SG instead.

nice guitars those PRSs

5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Come again?

6. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

He will if he pushes a little further.

7. ermac68

ermac68 Tele-Meister

LoL

8. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

My main touring guitar in the early 90's was a vintage yellow 1988 PRS custom. Ten top. Birds.
    Back when I played it very few people knew what it was and gave me grief for playing an off brand, no name guitar. I didn't much care what other folks thought (still don't). It was the very best playing and sounding guitar I've ever owned, and I've owned dozens of top of the line Fenders/Gibsons etc.
    I came on hard times and had to part with it. I regret losing it on a daily basis.
    Now I mainly play the second best guitar I've ever owned, a Squire CVC.

Anyone who is a "snob" about anything is automatically discounted in my book. Such an elitist outlook is the definition of closed mindedness.
    Guitars are like people. Individuals. Period.

9. jeremypodom

jeremypodom Tele-Afflicted

I know PRS snobs.... I go to a school for music filled with rockers. There's surprisingly few PRS's but whenever a new one finds it's way in, stupid jaws drop to the floor. Before they even hear the dude play or hear the guitar played they go nuts.

I find Mesa Boogie snobs worse, though. I'm much more likely to hear, "Oh, well I have a Mesa," than so-and-so guitar. Mesa is like the PRS of guitar world. They make a mass produced but still quite good instrument, and then price it like the delicately designed and hand made products by boutique companies as opposed to what it really is.

10. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

That's PRS envy, not snobbery. Or maybe it's just appreciation for nice-looking guitars.
    I guess I'll have to be careful not to be too effusive about someone's new guitar, lest I be labelled a snob.

11. jeremypodom

jeremypodom Tele-Afflicted

Didn't mean to misrepresent. It is definitely snobbery in the way they present it. It's just that I know a lot of people that I consider sheep, in that they ignorantly give in to such snobbery. It wouldn't be fun being a snob if there was no one to assure you that you're as awesome as you think.

12. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

The double wammy PRS - Mesa snob. :lol:

Oh I can't be a vintage snob. Teles a 78, Les Pauls an 82 and my Strat's mid 80s (MIJ) just old not vintage.
    (unless I'm selling it)

13. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

I don't think there is anything wrong with setting a goal, and working to achieve it.
    It matters not if that goal is a item, education, experience etc. and there is nothing wrong with taking pride in reaching your goal.
    Nor is there any harm in reasonable admiration of such achievement or respect for quality.

Where many people go wrong is taking some form entitlement from achievement/ ownership, or mistaking such things for or being evidence of character.

Stuff is just stuff, at the end of the day it's all about who you are and how you act, if you think owing a certain something, having( or not having)money, going to a certain school or living in the right neighborhood makes you better than others, that will one day bite you hard where it hurts.

Like most things there are certain people who don't get it, at the moment PRS seems to be attracting a disproportionate number of these folks, however something else will come along and they will be off like moths to a flame, freeing up some well kept instruments as they go.

14. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Collings are even more expensive & exclusive than PRS, but still there isn't that snobbish veneer attached to them

Go figure. I do agree there is something about PRS that attracts extreme feelings - which is weird, cause they are plain good guitars - with some great models, & some mediocre...just like any other company.

15. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Didn't Fender try that? I think they called it photoflame?

16. Warm Gums

Umm...Lyle Lovette syndrome, both he and the guitar are perhaps a little too under the radar. To get the right " vibe" there needs to be a certain level of main stream recognition, of both the item, and those who famously use it.

I mean who do you want to be like; a guy with crazy hair who writes introspective yet humorous songs, and was married to Julia Roberts for a week, or Carlos Santana, who WAS AT WOODSTOCK.....! and has his own line of shoes. ;-)

Most people are going for door number two..

17. homesick345

Funny you should mention Santana, I was just thinking of this guy, an hour ago, 12,000 miles away...

I do love the guy & his playing - PLUS he achieves this elusive thing all musicians crave I guess (I dunno if we all crave it but that's what they say..) - i.e. you could recognize him from a couple of notes. Plus all this good music over the years

Yet, still, man, I do find he has a little boring side. God forgive me. I love him. But it's always that same tone. Rather easy to achieve, pretty much over saturated etc...& predictable melodies. Oh but loveable. I mean you see what I mean. Pretty much mixed feelings

I was playing my PRS Mccarty here at the Blue Note, Beirut, just last Saturday. That was a good gig, the band was really together. After the gig this charming middle age british ladies comes & asks me about my guitar! "Isn't this like Santana's". I say "wow exactly, he uses PRS"... She asks me if I like him. I say I love him & respect him a lot. She asks if he is an inspiration. I say nope. Don't play in that style.

PRS has really a great clean voice, to it. It's not the saturated tones only. Full & rich. Too bad country or blues guitar players didn't pick on it.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread in any way.

18. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I must be terrible, then, because I have a PRS, a Boogie, and a BMW. I didn't buy them to impress anybody else, though, and I don't really care what people think of me in the first place.

19. homesick345

Lol ....it happens that this is good gear. Funny one needs to be apologetic about it.

20. Warm Gums

But do you have a Leica...?

A tongue in cheek look at this whole phenomonon.
    http://kenrockwell.com/leica/leica-man.htm

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.